Insulin Pump.

Options
Hello,

So I just got my Medtronic pump put on today!! I'm so excited! A lil nervous at the same time, but mainly just excited!

My blood sugars have been crazy for a couple of weeks now, I had pnumonia a week and half ago, and had steriods and other medications that made it higher, plus just being sick makes it higher all by itself!

But anyways, any other pumper's out there?

any advice?

I'd love to get some friends that are on the pump!

Have a fantastic day!

Replies

• KLK1986
    Options
    I pump. Used a Minimed from August '08 to October '10, and since then I've used an Animas Ping.

My advice? Test frequently. While a pump can lead to better control the key is to be sure you know what your blood sugar is!
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've used a pump for over 10 years. I've been on several different models through Animas, most recently the Ping. Its given me so much more freedom than shots ever could.

My advice is to keep the tubing tucked in - it gets stuck on everything! Door knobs, chairs, other people, and when the sight gets pulled out - OUCH! Also, check the pump over periodically. I go through at least a couple pumps a year. Carrying those suckers around 24/7 can lead to cracks in the casing or screen.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Klk I'm on the minimed.. y did u switch?

Thx to u both for the advice!

I've been checking like crazy today!! But wow I already feel better!! ;-)
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a pumper, too! Been using the Medtronic/Minimed Paradigm for several years and very happy with it. I've been diabetic for about 18 years and I've always been in good control, but I find that as I get older it's getting more difficult. I got a CGM to go with my pump, and while I don't use it very often because it's kind of pain in the *kitten*, I do find it to be a very useful tool overall.

I've found that when I'm sick or there's any other kind of stress on my body, my first indication that something's wrong is when my blood sugars go high and I can't get them back down again. Maybe the fact that you've been fighting pneumonia is why your blood sugars have been so crazy? Medications that fix your illness can wreak havoc on your blood sugars, too, so while you're fixing one problem you're creating another! I'm getting over a cold and had been taking DayQuil and NyQuil, and I was shocked to find out that they each have 93 calories per dose and 19 grams of carbs!!! Yikes!

I'll send you a friend request. It's great to have as many T1 friends as possible because we all get how difficult it is and can help each other out! :)
  • tlbyaya
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have been T1 for 39 yrs and I am now on a pump as of November 2011. I was able to get the OmniPod. It is a wireless, tubless pump system. I also use a CGM. If you have any questions, you can friend me and we can chat. It takes a while to get all the right settings, at least it has for me but overall I am glad to be on it.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Hi girls!!

I was sent a CGM, but not using it yet... I'm not sure how much ill use it. It seems like PIA...

Anyways, yes butterfly anytime I get sick it stress first thing is my bg goes high, and usually stays high for a bit..

The pump is already so much more conveinant and I've had it less than 24 hrs. Plus I feel better already!!

So excited for new T1 friends!! Thx!
  • lindsaybherrera
    lindsaybherrera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OmniPod was amazing; however, I developed an allergy to the adhesive and sadly had to quit the pump.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Well I hv to say I love my pump!!! ;-)
  • KLK1986
    Options

I was having a ton of issues with the MM reservoirs. I'd fill one and then my pump wouldn't prime. Getting all kinds of no delivery errors. MM just kept telling me it was 'user error' even though I'd had no issues the first year I was on it....

I got fed up and started looking at other options. I liked that with the PING I can initiate a bolus from my meter, so I don't have to take the pump out - which works nice for the occasions where I am wearing a dress and have it tucked away somewhere that isn't easily accessible in public.

Plus I can wear it while swimming because it's water-proof. MM is only water-resistant (can withstand some splashing, but shouldn't be fully submerged).
  • tarakay84
    tarakay84 Posts: 69
    Options

I was having a ton of issues with the MM reservoirs. I'd fill one and then my pump wouldn't prime. Getting all kinds of no delivery errors. MM just kept telling me it was 'user error' even though I'd had no issues the first year I was on it....

I got fed up and started looking at other options. I liked that with the PING I can initiate a bolus from my meter, so I don't have to take the pump out - which works nice for the occasions where I am wearing a dress and have it tucked away somewhere that isn't easily accessible in public.

Plus I can wear it while swimming because it's water-proof. MM is only water-resistant (can withstand some splashing, but shouldn't be fully submerged).

I see. hope i don't run into those problems!

thanks!
  • lizzielou67
    Options
    Hi!

I've been a Type 1 for 38 years. I've been on an insulin pump for 3 or 4 years now. My endo put me on one because (her words, not mine) I'm "in too good of control."

I was having almost constant low blood sugars for which I was close to unconcious. The pump has helped that so much that I can't tell you how happy I am to be on one.

I use an Animas Ping. I chose that one for the waterproof aspect. We vacation in Mexico and like to be in the pool all day.

I am lucky and my endo and pump nurse are both diabetics and wear a pump. They were very quick in creating settings for me that worked pretty much right from the get go!! They are also right on when my life changes and we need to readjust.

Don't get discouraged as it takes time to get the setting right for most people. You may have to do some fasting tests to get your basal rates right. Once you get everything right, you'll love it! It sounds like you are already feeling an improvement.

You'll love the idea of doing what I think your pump calls "square wave" boluses. This helps with high fat meals like pizza or mac & chees as it delivers your insluin and a longer inverval. Animas calls this a "combo" bolus. I can take 10 units but deliver out percentages of it over time (maybe 25% now and 75% over 2 hours etc.). LOVE THAT!!

I'll send you a friend request as well.
  • tarakay84
    tarakay84 Posts: 69
    Options
    HI lizzie,

yes i've had my pump about a month now... i LOVE it!! i still have some weird crazy highs, but not sure that they have set my pump quite right for the evenings yet. I wake up 200 or higher pretty much every day.. during day i'm running b/t 120-170.... ( still hight but better) before the pump i was 200 all the time and 300-400 weren't uncommon.

anyways.. my endo is actually a diabetic and on pump too, but i haven't seen her since i got it, i'm going to this dietician who adjust my pump...

anyways, thanks!
  • lizzielou67
    Options
    It sounds like you will be getting much better HA1c results with this pump!! Nice job getting those blood sugars down.

I think you are right. . . you need more basal overnight. I go up to 1.4 units an hour at 2 am now a days to get rid of those morning highs.

The big problem I'm having now is that since I started exercising and eating right, my blood sugars are way too low! I've adjusted my setting down quite a bit but it seems I'll need to keep going down. I had a 45 this morning when I got up! Not good.

Keep up the good work!! I'm glad you love your pump. Many people get anxiety about being "connected" to something all the time. I like the aspect that I always have a handy clock around! All my frieds know to ask me what time it is since I'm never without it!! HA!
  • wilkerson
    wilkerson Posts: 26
    Options
    hi, ive been T1 for 27yrs had a pump for 11yrs and love it, i have the mini med paradigm. just make sure you test pleanty and try to calculate your carbs and insulin the best you can, it makes a big difference. good luck ! you will do great.. friend me if you like
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you will be getting much better HA1c results with this pump!! Nice job getting those blood sugars down.

I think you are right. . . you need more basal overnight. I go up to 1.4 units an hour at 2 am now a days to get rid of those morning highs.

The big problem I'm having now is that since I started exercising and eating right, my blood sugars are way too low! I've adjusted my setting down quite a bit but it seems I'll need to keep going down. I had a 45 this morning when I got up! Not good.

Keep up the good work!! I'm glad you love your pump. Many people get anxiety about being "connected" to something all the time. I like the aspect that I always have a handy clock around! All my frieds know to ask me what time it is since I'm never without it!! HA!

I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1990 and using an insulin pump since 1996, always minimed. I love it, but wish it was waterproof.

I agree that the bolus needs to be higher overnight. I have mine set to get higher at about 8 pm and then it goes up again at 2 am.

However, like you, as I'm losing weight I keep having to turn it down lately. I've woken up with it in the 40s a couple of time in the past few weeks.

But then, I'll do an ab intensive workout and it will go up to around 300 (apparently ab workouts "twist" the infusion set).
  • lizzielou67
    Options
    Becka,

What kind of infusion sets to you use?

I changed from the plastic canula to steel needles for that reason. Mine would get kinked all the time (way before I started exercising!) so I gave up on them completely.

Will Minimed send you samples to try? I think they should (Animas does). Try some steel sets to see if that helps with ab workouts. I don't have any issues when I use my abs for a site and do "tough" workouts. I also use my arms and legs as sites and have not had any issues when I lift weights either. Those steel needls are not going to bend or twist or get kinked.

Not everone likes steel sets and they can be hard to get used to if you use an insertion device now. They don't have those and you basically just stick yourself like you did with a syringe. My husband says, "Jam it in and let's go!" when I'm doing a site change. HA!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Becka,

I changed from the plastic canula to steel needles for that reason. Mine would get kinked all the time (way before I started exercising!) so I gave up on them completely.

Will Minimed send you samples to try? I think they should (Animas does). Try some steel sets to see if that helps with ab workouts. I don't have any issues when I use my abs for a site and do "tough" workouts. I also use my arms and legs as sites and have not had any issues when I lift weights either. Those steel needls are not going to bend or twist or get kinked.

Not everone likes steel sets and they can be hard to get used to if you use an insertion device now. They don't have those and you basically just stick yourself like you did with a syringe. My husband says, "Jam it in and let's go!" when I'm doing a site change. HA!

I mostly use the silhouette infusion set. I tried minimeds quick set (I use an insertion device for that), but that seems to get kinked worse than the silhouette.

Actually after reading the posts, I'm considering asking my doctor about switching to Animas. I like the silhouette and the quick set because they disconnect right at the insertion site. So, there aren't any hanging pieces when swimming/showering etc. With a waterproof pump, this wouldn't be quite as important.
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Becka,

I mostly use the silhouette infusion set. I tried minimeds quick set (I use an insertion device for that), but that seems to get kinked worse than the silhouette.

Actually after reading the posts, I'm considering asking my doctor about switching to Animas. I like the silhouette and the quick set because they disconnect right at the insertion site. So, there aren't any hanging pieces when swimming/showering etc. With a waterproof pump, this wouldn't be quite as important.

someone gave me quick sets and i kept getting kink after kink leading to highs... i love my silhouette b/c i hardly ever get that problem. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pump!!!! I have been on it for almost 3 years and it's made a HUGE difference for the better.

BTW I am Laura and have been type 1 since i was almost 5 ...so 28 years and counting. Love this support group on here :)
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been on the Minimed pump for quite a few years now. My advice would be to stick it out through the hard times. It took me a month to get comfortable with set changes and figuring out how my body and blood sugar would work on the pump and I'm not going to lie - the first month was a nightmare! But, once I figured it out, it was all totally worth it. The control I've gained is amazing! Also, make sure you test frequently and use the meter that transmits wirelessly to the pump if you have one. That data will help you to fine tune your control. Best of luck! - Amber
  • cntrykami
    cntrykami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to FP and am really glad I stumbled on this post. Ive been a T1 for 23 years and have been on a pump for 14 years. I've always worn MM and am now on the MM Paradigm wth a CGM. I love the pump especially since I have not always been a model diabetic :) Now that I'm older and wiser ;) I have finally started to do something about all this extra weight that I carry around. I've become really insulin resistant and I need to get healthier. I have noticed that since cutting out carbs and totally changing the way I am eating has already cut my insulin needs in half. Very happy about that!