new here and have come full circle

Options
myjourney2
myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
Exactly a year ago I went for a consultation for lap band surgery. At that time I weighed 272 lbs. I loved the idea but decided I couldnt afford it.

I didnt get serious again about my weight loss until March when I decided to join and gym and hire a personal trainer. It is working out ok (have lost 20 lbs since November) and I am stronger but still struggling with the pounds.

So in May I went for a consutation for gastric bypass and decided that wasnt for me.

Now I am back considering lap band and thinking how I wasted the year and how I could be a smaller person now if I had of had it done.

I just checked with the clinic and the price has not gone up so I have decided I am worth the $16,000.00. I am going to appy for financing and get the ball rolling. Wish I had of listened to my instincts way back in Sept./2011.

I am looking for lots of support as I embark on this new journey!

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I was flat out against the idea of any kind of surgery for a long time. Then I sort of teetered on the edge of the idea for a few years. Finally, after doing a lot of research, I realized that this was a good option for me. I had my surgery (gastric bypass) in April of this year and have not regretted it at all. I wouldnt worry about not doing it sooner if I were you. Chances are, if you were not in the right place mentally at the time you would have had a hard time with it. I am glad I did it when I did because I was mentally ready at that time to make the changes I needed to make to be successful. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. The pre-op stage is tough and this is the time to start learning new behaviors that you will need to make into habits in order to be successful....we all need all the help and encouragement we can get!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I thought about lap band surgery in Jan 2011 but after attending a seminar I decided it wasn't for me since I had lost about 60 pounds doing weight watchers on my own in 6 months. Fast forward to Sept 2011 I got off track and had gained back almost 40 pounds. Come Jan. of 2012 I decided I had to do something. I contacted the local bariatric program the end of Jan 2012 and joined MFP also and started the WLS process. I got team approval in mid April and insurance approval by May 2012 and had sleeve surgery June 11, 2012. I lost 47 pounds pre op and since sleeve surgery have lost another 34 pounds for a total of 81 pounds lost since Feb 2012. I did have some rough periods after the surgery with dehydration and nausea that hindered my weight loss but the last few weeks have been good.
    Good luck on your WLS journey!
  • myjourney2
    Options
    thanks guys! I am waiting for financial approval right now since I am in Canada and have to self pay.
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I had gastric bypass 12/15/10 and have lost 160 pounds. It was the best choice for me.My doctors office are stopping the lap band because of too many complications and I know Kaiser is no longer doing lap band. You have to do what is best for you. I know having surgery is scary and you will have a ton of support here. Hope all goes well!
  • myjourney2
    Options
    My financing was approved and my surgery date is October 19th!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My financing was approved and my surgery date is October 19th!

Congrats! So excited for you!
  • gaylelynnmc
    Options
    Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery...and listen you didn't waste a year it takes time and better to really weigh out the consequences....which you did...I to am having the gastric bypass surgery and I have taken my time, worked on me both inside and out and no that this is the best option for me. To me it is a tool and a new way of living...I won't be going back to the person I was 6 months ago...so cheers my friend glad you shared with us...hugs!!
  • myjourney2
    Options
    thanks everyone! I am getting excited/scared as the date looms closer...lol

Gayle, when is your surgery date?