Who is your fave sci-fi or fantasy fiction book character?

Options
I personally love Drizzt Do'Urden from R. A. Salvatore's books. Salvatore has given this character so much depth. Plus I have loved this character since high school and the Icewind Dale Trilogy many, many years ago.

I also love Corran Horn from the New Jedi Order series.

I also love Rachel Morgan from Kim Harrison's the Hollow series.

I used to love Anita Blake, but feel Laurell K. Hamilton went to far with the sex in the books and don't get me wrong I love a good erotic romance. She finally got the writing back on track and Anita back to what she does best which is kicking *kitten* in this last book.

Also Harry Dresden from the Dresden files. Jim Butcher just brings him to life.

Replies

• hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Picking a favorite is always tough!

Harry Dresden is really high up there. Butcher did an excellent job developing his character, especially through the later books.

I would have to say that my favorite is Agent Aloysius Pendergast in the Preston/Child novels. He's just awesome with his super intelligence, Sherlockian tendencies, and the fact that he has an evil, criminally insane younger brother just makes him more interesting! :)
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Harry Dresden's pretty high up there.

I also love Tiffany Aching and Granny Weatherwax from the Discworld books.

And Susie Shooter from the Nightside books by Simon R. Green.
  • Lipodestroyer
    Options
    I'd have to say Harry Dresden. If you guys like the Dresden Files series check out the Nightside series by Simon Green. John Taylor is a lot like Dresden and I thoroughly enjoy those books as well.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Harry Dresden is really high up there.... Agent Aloysius Pendergast...

I am HOME! :bigsmile:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Harry Dresden FTW!!! Also Owen Z. Pitt form Monster Hunter International, Elminster, Storm Silverhand, and Mirt!!!
    Anyone else into Elric?? Gotta love Michael Moorcock!
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree John Taylor and the Nightside series is really good too! I haven't heard of some of these other ones. Going to have to put requests into my library!
  • youallonsy
    youallonsy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been written, but I bet Prof McGonagall, the early years, would something to read about
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    B'Elanna Torres!!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Depending on my mood:
    Raum (from the book of that name by Carl Sherrell)
    Lord Darcy (from Randall Garrett's books)
    Lifesaver (from The Particolored Unicorn)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Drizzt Do'urden is my favorite.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I came here to say Harry Dresden, but it seems I'm just stacking another on the pile.

Arthur Dent would be a good 2nd vote.
  • kitchenpenguin
    kitchenpenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that my favorite is Agent Aloysius Pendergast in the Preston/Child novels. He's just awesome with his super intelligence, Sherlockian tendencies, and the fact that he has an evil, criminally insane younger brother just makes him more interesting! :)

My addiction to the Pendergast books was probably the best thing that I got from my ex.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    For those liking Harry Dresden/John Taylor, try the Alex Verus novels by Benedict Jacka, they're in the same sort of line & very enjoyable.

Personal favourite characters of mine include:
    Raine Benares from the assorted books by Lisa Sherin (Magic Lost, Trouble Found being the 1st in the series).
    Sir Sparhawk from the Elenium & Tamuli series by David Eddings
    Marvin the paranoid android (Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams).
    Hawk & Fisher, from the assorted Haven books by Simon R Green.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Lazarus Long from all of the really smutty Heinlein books because he is just too ridiculous to believe.

Also, I like Pippin in Lord of the Rings. Even though I am totally a Merry. :/
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    HMmm this is really hard I dont have 1 favorite character from books cause I read to much I'll just name a few...

Mat Cauthon and Nynaeve Al'meara from the wheel of time series...

Rachael Morgan and Jinx from the Hollows series...

Elminister

Oh and who could forget Lestat lol

I could go on and on lol...
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Perrin Aybara (Wheel of Time)

Roland Deschain (Dark Tower)

Elminster
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ender Wiggin from Ender's Game.

Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax, Samuel Vimes, and Death from Discworld

Harry Dresden (love James Masters reading the books also)

Skeeve from the Myth series (Robert Asprin)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Tom Bombadil is one of my all time favorites
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is no way I can decide on just one, so here is the current list as it stands:

Silk/Prince Kheldar, Velvet/Margravine Liselle, Polgara, Belgarath, Beldin (David Eddings Belgarion stuff)

Nanny Ogg and Lady Sybil Ramkin/Vimes

Basically the entire American Pack (plus Karl Marsten and Hope Adams), Jaime Vegas, Eve Levine, Adam Vasic

Molly Millions/Sally Shears

Mr Nancy, Shadow

There are so many more but I just can't think of them.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Wow..I opened this post to respond with someone I have already forgotten, and got loads of new recommends! Although.. I need more books like a hole in the head. I am already tiptoeing around teetering piles of books--looks like I'll have to start cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and start chucking stuff out to make room!

Thanks everyone!