Lost my tri-ginity ;)

Options
sonyachan
sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
I've been training for my first sprint tri since June when I signed up for the Long Bay Sprint on 9/22. I've been following the local triathlon club on facebook and have run once with them and swam once with them. I struggled both times. But for some reason when they announced that their Garden City Sprint was open to guests Tuesday night at 10pm, I could not stop myself from signing up. Hey, it was free (well, they ask for a $10 donation). So I knew going into it that I would most likely come in last among a small group of actual triathletes. This race was a wee bit shorter than the one in September: a 500yard ocean swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run. I knew I could finish that.

Yesterday I was a ball of nerves. I went out for sushi and sat on the beach all afternoon. Got in bed at 10:30ish with everything packed and ready to go. Can't believe I actually slept! The alarm went off at 4:45 and I made it to the transition area and got registered in time. I met a veteran triathlete who convinced me to put some lube on my crotch. Only in the midst of a triathlon club in the dusky light of dawn would I ever unzip my tri suit and apply a vaseline-type substance to my groin.

Kick off was 6:30 am, the sun was up, kinda, and it was about 69 degrees out. Thank God the water was about 80, but honestly I paid no attention to the water temp as I fought to get out past the boueys. The waves were not bad, so I could actually do the free-style, unlike the time before when I went out with the club. I made it about 250 yards before I got tired. About 50 yards from the end, I noticed I was the only one still in the water. After that it seemed to take forever to get done. When I finally made it around the second bouey, all I wanted to do was touch the bottom. There was a strong undercurrent as the waves were building, and I had a hard time getting to the beach. Finally a huge wave swept over me and pushed me forward....Land beneath my feet! Yay!

At the transition area, there were only two others still there. By the time I hit the road, I couldn't see any other bikers. I felt discouraged. I knew I would finish last, but I started to think "Why am I doing this?" "Maybe I'll just stop after the bike so they don't have to wait around for me to get done." Going south with the wind behind my back, I was kicking it. As fast as my little used hybrid would go. I decided I might as well push as hard as I could. I figured I've got enough running experience that I will be able to run 3.1 no matter how hard I bike. As I passed the transition area, There were already runners everywhere, and I had about 4-5 miles left to go on the bike. I felt disgruntled, but I just kept smiling, and the runners who were now on their way to the finish were telling me "Good job!"

I finally made it back to transition, racked my bike and took off running. My legs felt heavy and I kept seeing everyone running to the finish. When I saw who I knew to be the last runner before me heading to the finish, I thought, well, I've trained by myself....I'll finish by myself. At the aid station, I stopped and choked down a little water. The nice guy said "The people at home are last." I laughed and took off again. This half of the run felt good. I think I made pretty good time, but for some reason my Mapmyrun app didn't translate to the website, so I have no idea how fast I really was on the bike vs the run. Finally I saw the end, I heard claps and cheers. Everyone was there smiling and congratulating me. A guy I work with hugged me. I felt like I'd won instead of come in last!

As I started the bike, I was feeling that this is not the sport for me. I was contemplating dropping out of my September tri. But after finishing, all I could think of is how I'm going to get faster. The next sprint is a half mile ocean swim (yikes!), so I'm definitely going to work on my swim! The bike is 14 miles, and the run 5K. So, I must say I'm worried, but if I keep up my training I should be able to do it. I can see how it's addictive. I guess there's worse things that pushing ourselves to bigger and crazier things! :)

Replies

• rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    nice work - and great race report!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Great job and welcome to the club, fellow triathlete! Your experience this weekend will help you with both your training and your next race more than you can even imagine. Now you know exactly what you need to work on. You'll do great in September!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    awesome I agree with the guy at the water stop the guys on the couch are last not you!!! Great job getting out there and finishing.

Now you know what you need to work on for your tri in sept and have some expierence with the transitions, plus you have the fear out of the way and have caught the triathlon bug
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Be proud of yourself for doing it! You will only get better with practice and more experience. Best of luck with your next one!
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! You should be so proud that you did NOT give up! Wonderful race report! :flowerforyou:
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! First, this is the most awesome topic line ever "lost my tri-ginity." Second, I am so proud of you. Despite your HEAD telling you to quit, you didn't do it. That is winning DEFINED! You did it! I wish I had known that there was a FREE tri in South Carolina, because I would have come down to race with you! Again, great work!!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Great job!

For what it's worth, I've finished last twice. You know what I had in common with the guys that finished first? We all finished. And I've got the finishers' medals to prove it. Which, I might add, all the people who either signed up but didn't show (DNS) or who started but didn't finish (DNF) did NOT get. I'm SO way ahead of them!

Every emotion from joy to discouragement you described, I've also lived out on race day. It's so reassuring to read of others who go through those same emotional experiences. Thanks for sharing! I'd also like to add, on a personal level, how starry eyed I get when I read of people who push beyond their emotional comfort zones to achieve a goal. Like finishing a race last. I know this sounds corny, but you gotta believe me because it's true - you're a hero in my eyes.

Congratulations!
    TriJoe.
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone! All your support has made me feel so much better. Glad I'm in such good company! :)
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining the club!!!

I agree with Joe- I love a good sports story and I can definitely relate to a first tri experience. Being a swimmer, I am not a stellar biker or runner to say the least, and I know what it's like to spend 70% of the race questioning why you got up so early to begin with lol. I'm so proud of you!! Such an awesome job.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Congratulations! Who cares what place you finished? YOU FINISHED! That's the point! You may have been last, but you're last out of some really hardcore athletes--you're part of that crowd! You're wayyy ahead of everyone who slept in that morning; ahead of everyone who thinks about signing up for a triathlon but never do; and ahead of everyone who talks a big game but literally couldn't finish a triathlon no matter what. OWN IT! And use it is fuel for your fire to go harder, better, faster, stronger next time!
  • DavidTri
    DavidTri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well done you!
    Fantastic acheivment and yes you were definately one of the top finishes in the world!
    It's an awesome feeling being a Triathlete and never feel embarrased when some one asks you what you do.
    You are now officially in a select group of people who are TRIATHLETES!!!
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Thank you again! Reading all your responses really makes me feel good. :)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have tears in my eyes reading this! (And I don't know how I missed this). I'm very proud of you. You inspire me and I look forward to hearing many awesome race reports to come. You did a fantastic job, Sonya!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this! I registered for my first tri, which is schedule for October 7th. I'm bookmarking this post so I can reread it. Thanks and congratulations!!