Big Babies

Options
Kenzietea2
Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
Anyone have a big baby naturally? I just had an ultrasound today (my actual due date is 9/6) and baby is weighing in at 9lbs 2oz... She said rarely are they more than a lb off and she could tell it's a definitely a big baby. I find out more Wednesday but I would just like to know if any other mama's have naturally given birth to a baby that big? I really wanted to have a completely natural birth, no epidural, hoping to avoid an episiotomy and c-section!

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had a friend give birth ( naturally) to a 9lb baby. It is possible, but your body needs to be compatible too. I would talk to your doctor about what he/she thinks your options are at this point.

My mom was only 5'4" and weighed about 130lbs prepregnancy and I was almost 11lbs. They had to do a C-section because the doctors did not think I would fit through the birth canal without complications to me or her. I am 6'2" and weighed about 210 pre pregnancy and the doctors have said with my size and stature i should have no problem delivering a baby 11 lbs or so natually ( the babys father is 6'7" so they are expecting a large baby already)
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    I had a friend give birth ( naturally) to a 9lb baby. It is possible, but your body needs to be compatible too. I would talk to your doctor about what he/she thinks your options are at this point.

My mom was only 5'4" and weighed about 130lbs prepregnancy and I was almost 11lbs. They had to do a C-section because the doctors did not think I would fit through the birth canal without complications to me or her. I am 6'2" and weighed about 210 pre pregnancy and the doctors have said with my size and stature i should have no problem delivering a baby 11 lbs or so natually ( the babys father is 6'7" so they are expecting a large baby already)

I'm 5'7" and I was at the high end of a normal BMI before pregnancy. I see my doctor Wednesday to know more! Keep your fingers crossed he thinks I can do it natural.

(weird thing is my husband is 5'9", 160lbs...We are pretty average height/weight couple yet somehow are having a huge bebe.. my older sister was 10lbs 8oz and my mom was only 5'1"! She was born via c-section as well though)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think if the dr hasnt talked to you yet about having a c section then if things go well you may be in the clear. My dr talked to me about the possibilities of this what I was 18 weeks.

Make sure to let us know what they say at your next appt!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    i will! thanks!
  • jomiley23
    Options
    My mom was 5'3" and naturally delivered my brother, who was 12lb 11oz. My oldest brother and I were both over 9lb. I probably just slid out after that 12 pounder. : )

I think she did have the epz, but not the drugs. That was 1969.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    My mom was 5'3" and naturally delivered my brother, who was 12lb 11oz. My oldest brother and I were both over 9lb. I probably just slid out after that 12 pounder. : )

I think she did have the epz, but not the drugs. That was 1969.

Holy crap! She gave birth to a 3 month old! lol!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    At my appointment, he basically told me women give birth to 9 1/2lbers every day and he isn't worried. He just wanted to have a rough estimate of the size beforehand because he knew she was a big girl. He said if I was 5' tall, he'd be more concerned. Since I am not a tiny person he isn't too worried :)
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my second baby was 8.13 and actually delivered more easily than my first, who was 7.12! Jury is still out on this one, we're thinking more like 8lbs, so not too big. I think a lot of it has to do with baby's position and your own pelvis. The hardest part to pass is the head and the head is pretty pliable.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I think my baby is going to be a little big, he was measuring around 3lbs at 27 weeks, which is in the 70somthing percentile., so I'm guessing over 8lbs for sure! Also, I have heard from several women that those guesses aren't always accurate. I'm 5'8", and have wide hips, so I feel I can handle anything under 10! My mom is 5'3" and I was almsot 9lbs and she had me ALL natural at a birthing center!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My mom(5'8") had my little brother naturally and he was 10lb 8oz. Doctor told her based on femur length, he would be premature and could stay in another 5-6weeks! She said no way and went into labor the next day. My baby measured 5lb 6oz at 32w so I'm probably looking at a good sized baby myself, although I'm only 5'4". I do have "childbearing" hips and want to do it natural as well. Good luck!!
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My first baby was 8 lbs 15 oz. I'm almost 5'3". I delivered her naturally and it was a pretty rough delivery. I think I pushed for 2 hours or so. I was horribly scared because I had already known she was going to be big (and I'm not so big). I really didn't think she was going to come out without a csection. Her collarbone did end up being broken during the delivery, but she's fine now. The episiotomy was the least of my worries.

2nd baby was 9lbs 5 oz. My doctor said I could try "a trial of pushing" if i wanted to. With the estimate I had from my ultrasound a weeks before the due date, it was estimated that she could've been between 8.5 and 10.5 lbs. I felt that my first delivery at 8 lbs 15 oz was about the maximum I could handle and did it want to risk a natural delivery. Although before this information I absolutely did not want a csection.

It was never really a question about me. It was about what is the safest way to get the baby out in this situation. I trust my doctor and listened to his opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily trust any or every doctor.

If you have confidence in your doctor, at least consider his opinion.