Acupuncture and Herbs?

Options
Has anyone here with PCOS TTC with acupuncture and herbs? Any success?

Replies

• ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've heard people have had success but I would also like to know more about that. I am taking maca root supplements to help regulate my cycle.
  • Angieh0811
    Angieh0811 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a naturopath for 3 months now. Accupuncture along with herbal medications has been amazing. I have seen more results this way than being on metformin etc. Since seeing her I have had 2 cycles in a row, this is after going 6 months without.
    The best thing she has put me on is inositol. My skin has cleared up....for the 1st time in my life people actually have commented on how great my skin looks. The weight is slowly starting to come off and I have noticed some on my facial hair is disappearing.

I would reccommend going and seeing a naturopath even just to hear what she/he has to say. If you can find one who specializes in pcos that is even better.

Good Luck
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have already managed to get my pcos unsymptomatic using natural vitamins, minerals and an enzyme, so I'm not sure how I'll tell if I add inositol to my regime ;-) but hmmmm... I might trial that on myself and see if my ovaries blow up. I'm a bit scared of acupuncture (always concerned about cleanliness of anything that penetrates skin). What are the herbal medications you refer to? Very, very interesting stuff. :-)
  • Angieh0811
    Options
    She has me on a testorerone reducer called Testo-Quench, and vitex. The vitex is in a pill form, in the past I was on a vitex tea but I find the pill form more concentrated. I am also on a tincture called promoflo to help induce periods. Along with that I take milk thistle and I have just started licorice root to help with energy and weight loss. I try to incorporate cinnamon and turmeric as much as possible into my meals.

Good point about the needles. I watch her open each individual package and I know she disposes them into a needle container.

She is the 3rd naturopath I have seen and the only one I have seen results from....but maybe this time I am more dedicated. I am absolutely amazed on how awesome I feel.
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So it is the promoflo that is getting you to have monthly cycles? Is that like Provera where you take it after not getting your period or is it something you continuously take?
  • Angieh0811
    Options
    I don't know much about Provera. I just started the promoflo 3 weeks ago. She put me on it so my cycles would be closer together. I have been seeing her for just over 3 months and have had 2 cycles but they were 56 days between. I am waiting for my TOM to start.....it can come any time now.

I take it every day except when TOM is here. If I feel like I am pregnant I am to stop immediately. It isn't the nicest tasting stuff but I have gotten use to it. I am a true believer in the inositol. I can't belive the difference since I have started it. She has started me on licorice root as well.... tastes like molasses but I am amazed on the energy it has given me. I am so fascinated with the natural approach.

Shannon, I have added you as a MFP friend.

Take Care
  • 2SecondChances
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies. I was just diagnosed a few months ago with PCOS and I've always had irregular periods since age 10. Been on the pill since I was 14 to regulate and came off last August...no period for a year. My doc had me take 500mg of metformin and provera which worked to bring on a period and then she had me take prometrium for 10 days starting day 12. I was supposed to have a period following, but that never happened. I started acupuncture 3 weeks ago...immediately (no exaggeration) on the way home I felt movement like my system was "waking up." Still no period, but today I had my first positive ovulation test and I'm feeling major sensation on my right ovary. I've been doing acupuncture and she also has me on a prenatal, fish oil Omega-3, maca, and vitex along with her herbs - I'm also still taking the metformin even though the acupuncturist says that 500mg isn't enough to do anything (I've read most people are on 1500mg for this). Oh, and I'm trying to distribute my carbs, limit my intake of sugar and white bread/grains, etc. I have to admit, after this morning, I'd say it's working! Wish me luck!!
  • 2SecondChances
    Options
    Anghenderson - I haven't heard of licorice root. I will have to look into that!
  • 2SecondChances
    Options
    Chainie - The herbs I'm on is a mixture of stuff but I don't really know what exactly. My acupuncturist is an MD in China and her husband is an herbalist that supposedly is highly regarded. I can tell you that the batch I'm getting is supposed to make me ovulate. It doesn't taste or smell bad like I have heard others do. It's in a powder form that I mix with warm water and drink after meals twice/day. I have a friend in the UAE that is going the same route, but her acupuncturist has her on herbs that come preboiled in a plastic bag. She tells me it's strong and stinky...she has to be on different herbs though because she doesnt have a problem ovulating.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Chainie - The herbs I'm on is a mixture of stuff but I don't really know what exactly. My acupuncturist is an MD in China and her husband is an herbalist that supposedly is highly regarded. I can tell you that the batch I'm getting is supposed to make me ovulate. It doesn't taste or smell bad like I have heard others do. It's in a powder form that I mix with warm water and drink after meals twice/day. I have a friend in the UAE that is going the same route, but her acupuncturist has her on herbs that come preboiled in a plastic bag. She tells me it's strong and stinky...she has to be on different herbs though because she doesnt have a problem ovulating.

Crikey I'm glad you warned me then.... I could accidentally have baby chickens! Hahaha. I wonder if it's got chaste tree berry in it - that's for fertility and ovulation (at the right dosage).
  • 2SecondChances
    Options
    Not sure as she has me taking vitex (chasteberry) on the side as well.