What exercise do you do outside of Derby?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering what others do offskates to condition for roller derby. I'm trying to restore my core muscles after displacing my pelvis (and not getting decent medical advice for two years during which I continued to skate).

I've joined a gym and a friend of mine is teaching me to lift weights to build my muscles. Some cardio, but mostly machines and weights as I've not taken care of those for a while.

Also - feel free to add me on here, I'd love to have more derby people to keep me motivated on MFP!

Replies

• geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love the body combat and body pump classes and Im doing the c25k program with interval sprints as well.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started insainity yesterday with Shaun T.. I thought I was in good shape. holy smokes... hahaha
  • throttler228
    Options
    It varies - going to have some kickboxing classes soon, plus running and core exercises and pushups.

Have planned a few 5ks this year, to help keep me pushing for goals outside the rink as well as inside. Otherwise I will get really off track.

First one may be with the league on May 5th. Eeps!
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do 15-20 pushups every day. 25 "Standard" Sit Ups, and 10 (leg in air) crunches. I also do Kettlebell 2+ times a week when my practice schedule is light.

In the next few days, I hope to start Crossfit. (NH Roller Derby just got picked in the ECDX Lottery, and I gotta step it up!)
  • throttler228
    Options
    In the next few days, I hope to start Crossfit. (NH Roller Derby just got picked in the ECDX Lottery, and I gotta step it up!)

See you at ECDX! Can't wait!
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    crossfit is alot of fun.. I wish there were more options for it where i lived.. sadly there are not.. yet...
  • anonymouswheels96
    anonymouswheels96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i do Jillian Michaels Dvd's. She does good core workouts.
  • thegreengoth
    thegreengoth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of dancing (no alcohol for me, thanks!) and go to the gym usually 1-2 times a day
    I've been wearing leg and arm weights while doing the cardio machines to push myself further
  • Msmeganrock
    Msmeganrock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do quite a variety because I get bored easily :)

I like to do a few days a week at the gym. For cardio I will do 10 min of normal pace on the elliptical, then 10 min of sprints, where I sprint (or move at a vary quick pace I guess) for 30 seconds, rest for 15, and so on. Then hop on the treadmill and walk with a steep incline for 20 min. I just discovered this cool interval cardio workout that was in the March 2012 issue of Shape magazine, that I like a lot for my other cardio day. I also will do weight machines.

Another thing I like to do at home is the Getsome Athletics tape, which was made by Carmen Getsome from Rat City. Its available from fastgirlskates.com and probably a few other sites. It is a 50 min workout that focuses on plyos, and building core and lower body strength.
  • karenbumblebee
    Options
    I mix things up a bit. Outside of Derby training (7 hours a week) I go to spin classes and also yoga twice a week. I also do a bit of running at the gym but I have started dong short sprints followed by a short rest and back to sprinting again rather than jogging long distance. This way i get used to my heart rate going up and down like it would in a bout :) I also try do a bit of rowing and weights.
  • HartsvilleMom3
    HartsvilleMom3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to walk every day I love the Leslie Sansone videos or just get out & walk or bike ride or skate my road .
  • MeanieD
    Options
    MONDAY: swim
    TUESDAY: flow yoga
    WEDNESDAY: practice
    THURSDAY: flow yoga
    FRIDAY: practice
    SATURDAY: swim
    SUNDAY: belly dance class

Plus I walk everyday with my dog and Hubby.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I do stationary bike and weights to work my shoulder muscles to prevent dislocations. I do squats ALL THE SQUATS, russian twists, lunges... wall sits... fun times.

We do an offskates session once a week at training and I pick up moves from that and do my own circuits at home. I usually exercise 3-4 days a week.

I've found my cardio is heaps better since doing more (surprise!)
  • DerbyZebra
    Options
    I like being outdoors. For me it's cycling, hiking, and maybe a bit of running. Other days I go to the gym.