Skin Care

Options
Hey all. So I've been using MFP for a little over a month and I'm in love with it!
A few weeks ago, I took up going to the gym at my apartment complex and exercising for between 30 minutes to an hour. I also have been walking outdoors in that hot, sticky Florida sun! (ick)
I have not changed my skin care routine since I started exercising, but I notice that I am breaking out a lot more. I'm assuming it's to do with sweating.
Now that I am exercising on a regular basis, is there something I should be doing differently to take care of my skin? I alternate between using Proactiv and Cetaphil (I have fairly sensitive skin).
Any advice on what I can do to improve my complexion would be much appreciated!

Replies

• LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I had pretty bad acne. I've tried every product you can name. My skin is now clear for the first time since starting puberty like 10 years ago. At the end of the day, I realized I only needed 4 things. Use gentle hair products (because sweat will drag those chemicals down to your face or your hair can directly touch your face), wash face after sweating and before bed, raw organic shea butter for moisturizing (look for reviews online and try it), and Clean & Clear's Deep Cleaning Astringent: Sensitive Skin. Everyone's skin is different that's why I'm saying give it a shot and see if it works for you.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    Florida is tough for skin care. What the previous poster said is absolutely the way to do it. I go without makeup as much as possible, especially if I am working out or walking outside - I think sweating and the makeup really combine to clog the pores. keeping your skin clean is the best.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    All I can recommend is to be sure to wash your face immediately after your workout, my best friend has the same problem if she does not keep her skin clean at all times.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So I've been using MFP for a little over a month and I'm in love with it!
    A few weeks ago, I took up going to the gym at my apartment complex and exercising for between 30 minutes to an hour. I also have been walking outdoors in that hot, sticky Florida sun! (ick)
    I have not changed my skin care routine since I started exercising, but I notice that I am breaking out a lot more. I'm assuming it's to do with sweating.
    Now that I am exercising on a regular basis, is there something I should be doing differently to take care of my skin? I alternate between using Proactiv and Cetaphil (I have fairly sensitive skin).
    Any advice on what I can do to improve my complexion would be much appreciated!

Watch out for things with parabens in, it is a preservative, and gives the products shelf-life, but is a major irritant, and is in Cetaphil. Do you wear sunscreen? If so, what factor? High spf sunscreens are usually a chemical cocktail, to achieve the high SPFs. They can cause rashes, which people assume is what we Brits call "prickly heat", when it is a reaction with the sun on the sunscreen.

I would keep it simple. Don't assume that because a soap says "gentle" "pure" it is not going to irritate or dry the skin.. IF it lathers, it is a surfactant, and WILL dry your skin. I use Boot's brand facial wet cloths ( I know Target sell them) for after working out. Used their products for 30 years, I have not had a problem.

I too am VERY fair skinned, and at almost 50 have skin that looks a LOT younger than my actual years.
  • schrobecky
    schrobecky Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My skin is prone to break outs too, and freckles (lots of them) so the sunscreen debate comes in there too. Post work out, I started just wiping down my face with a witch hazel wipe (you can get them at wal-mart, comes in a little tub of like 50). It gets the sweat and dirt off, and is not harsh like alcohol wipes and has no perfumes or anything like the branded "face cleansing wipes". That will usually do the trick until I get home with the bikes and cooled off enough to get cleaned up for real. Other thing is if you wear a hat, don't wear it twice, wash it every time or you'll likely get break outs on the hairline. I've only ever been able to use one sunscreen that didnt make my face go crazy and that's from the Rhodan and Fields Unblemish line (available online).
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat! I recently had my FIRST EVER Eureopen facial two days ago because ive noticed my face has become beyond oily due to the sweating! Put your hair up in a ponytail when working out and wear sweat bands! Wash hands reguarly and keep them away from your face when working out (use clean rag to wipe away sweat) ... I've also starting using Clean & Clear Daily wash & Blackhead Scrub. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always wash my face twice a day and I always wash my makeup off before bedtime. I drink a lot of water daily to keep hydrated and I moisturize my skin daily.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Wash your face in the morning before make up and after a workout.

I use Biore in the shower adn then Clean & Clear astringent after to make sure my pores are clean. My face is fine now....but my back where my sports bra hits is a different story. I can't reach!!! :mad: So I have little sweat bumps on my back.....ick