Insanity Concern

Options
I have done my research about Insanity. Making sure it's right for me. I have read the good and bad reviews as well as the insane infomercial. All though, I'm not sure if they are 100% correct.
I am currently doing P90X. I do several exercises in and out of the home. So, I'm not a beginner. Maybe more intermediate.
Most of the reviews I have read were that this program is not for beginners and Causes joint and back pain.
When I read this, it was highly discouraging for me. I'm a huge Cardio person. LOVE, love, love Cardio. But I also have knee problems already. On the other hand, I want to spice up my workout routine with something tougher while doing P90X.
I hope this makes sense to others. Before I purchase it, I would love some views of others who are doing it and have finished it. Beginners or non-beginners. If you had or have pain doing it. Just a slight concern for the pricey amount it is. If I'm going to buy something, I want to use it!
~K

Replies

• fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Hi there.

I just finished Insanity, although I'm still working a couple of sets til this Friday. I'm starting P90x on Sept 3 or 4.

Insanity: it is NOT for beginners at all. It is VERY high-impact, very hands-on, and high-intensity. This program does NOT have time to baby people at all. In that regards, you'd be fine since you feel you are at an intermediate level.

Back and knee pain? I haven't had any back pain from Insanity but KNEE PAIN? HECK YES!!!! I had a pinched nerve the second week I started and ended up having to rest for several days and then re-start week 2 the following week. When I started month 2 is when the knee pain really kicked in because of all the serious knee-joint moves. There's a set called Max Interval Plyo that is 90% plyometrics/knee joint moves. The very last time I tried to do it (two weeks ago) I sat there and wondered why I even bothered. It's VERY hard on the knees but if you use the ice packs and wear those knee wraps, you just might be okay. I also use patellar straps (Nike) when I work out. THEY ALL HELP!!!!!! If it wasn't for these straps, I couldn't have gotten through the last two weeks of Insanity.

Other than that, I absolutely LOVED the program. Hope this helps!

Erica
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you have no problem doing Plyo in P90x, you will be fine.
    Imagine Plyo P90x 5 days a week.. that's Insanity.
    I don't have strong knee and 30 lbs overweight and I did Insanity.
    In fact, I don't have knee problem any more. Insanity makes me have strong legs.
    Here is my tips
    This is a must, get a Mat. It will protect your knees. I did insanity barefoot and this is the best way to do it.
    Don't do high jump, my feet hardly lifted off the floor on the 2 week. I was focusing on getting the right form an that's it.

Insanity is really insanity but it's also awsome. You can modified any moves.
    You wil be a new person, endurance level will go way up. Go for it!
  • iSpuggz
    iSpuggz Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm with Firedragon. You just need perfect from, a good surface and proper shoes and you should be fine. I have dodgy knees but had no problems doing Insanity. The only injury I did have was shin splints. My knees are much stronger and I've got through P90x legs and back with no problems when I couldn't do many squats or lunges at all before Insanity because of my knees.

And as with anything, modify, modify, modify! Pretty sure Shaun T shows you alternatives to most high impact exercises.
  • munty76
    munty76 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hey, Id consider my self a beginner, half way through my second week of insanity and have never done any thing like this before.

One of my knees has taken many knocks ov er the years and just prior to startin insanity i had pain in my knee going all the way up the side of my leg. Not sure what casued it but prior to starting insanity i was doing a lot of fast walk and had just started using your shape fitness evloed on the xbox . ( think lunges )

Anyways i rest my knee as much as i could before starting and i was worried it would flare up..but thankfull it didnt. the first few days were a little sore, but i had a hot soak after every session in the first week and used anti inflammatorys ( gels/pills) to help. after the first few days i was fine.

since then iv had some back pain...nothing too serious, and i think i maybe have pulled a muscle in my rib cage, however it allow hurts half way through session and i just take a brake for a few mins to recover.