Book Club Reading

Options
missmayeb
missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
Here is the current list of books from the Book Suggestion Discussion.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Dorchester Terrace: A Charlotte & Thomas Pitt Novel by Anne Perry
Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
The Splendor of Silence by Indu Sundaresan, Atria
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Disturbed by kevin O'Brien
Rebecca by daphne du maurier
Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walke

Replies

• missmayeb
    Options
    For Friday 8/24

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I will create a new area for the discussion.

Next drawing will be Friday 9/7. Please continue to add suggestions to the list.
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've requested this book at library but it will be next week before it comes in. Was the consensus for every 2nd or 3rd Friday?
  • missmayeb
    Options
    I think I only saw a vote for two weeks but if I need to extend it to three I will.
  • deborah0123
    Options
    I just got my book.. So it looks like I will be reading some this weekend..
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I got mine and started it. I like that it caught my attention right away. I hate slow building books!
  • Rebzan
    Rebzan Posts: 24
    Options
    I am going to pick my book up today. I will have to do some serious reading to do this week!!
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Book didn't come in today. Courier comes back to library on Friday. It will be after holiday before I can start it. Hopefully it will be a quick read. Looking forward to it because had it not been for this book club I probably never would have been interested in reading this particular title.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion that may help those of us getting books through our libraries? Can we select the upcoming book, so we can request it in a timely manner?
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Started yesterday, and intrigued so far....
  • missmayeb
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion that may help those of us getting books through our libraries? Can we select the upcoming book, so we can request it in a timely manner?

I could always post the week before the start date? Or you all could vote on the next one and votes have to be in the Wednesday before. I definitely think that would be better as I can't get the Night Circus from my library either physical copy or Kindle copy so I am going to have to wait.
  • tammihart
    Options
    I want to add The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks to the suggestion list. I just received it in a early birthday gift. I know its a movie but the books are always better!

I am good with you picking one a week before. I couldn't get Night Circus from my library either. I ended up buying it
    7201955 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great selection! This one has been on my to-read list for a while.:smile:
  • headoverhills
    Options
    I'd like to add The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker to the list.
  • missmayeb
    Options
    Next weeks choice will be a The Splendor of Silence by Indu Sundaresan, Atria.
    Options
    I'm still waiting for library to call about Night Circus. It was supposed to be returned this week, but it hasn't. From now on I am going to get better about returning books on time. I learned my lesson. I will go ahead and order the next book from the library.
    When are we to have Night Circus read by?
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ooh the next choice looks great! It's only in hardback in the UK though, I don't think I can afford that....
  • tammihart
    Options
    Sorry I will be skipping The Splendor of Silence. I have had it for a week and I am only 70 or so pages in. I feel like I am forcing myself to read it. I read for enjoyment, I don't want to have to work at it. I will be checking for the next selection. 9/14?
  • missmayeb
    Options
    Well the next one is . . . . drum roll. . . . .The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks . Have fun.
    Options
    Sorry I will be skipping The Splendor of Silence. I have had it for a week and I am only 70 or so pages in. I feel like I am forcing myself to read it. I read for enjoyment, I don't want to have to work at it. I will be checking for the next selection. 9/14?

I understand that life is too short to read books that do not appeal to you, still I hope others do not give up on this book. It was recommended to me and I am loving it so far. The story is intriguing and not too much is given away so the reader is drawn in deeper to learn more.
  • tammihart
    Options
    Book Club so far

8/24- The Night Circus
    9/7- The Splendor of Silence
    9/21- The Lucky One

Books are announced the week before start date to allow everyone to get them.:smile: