New here - frustrated and discouraged

Options
Hi, I've been hypo for about 6 years now and have been struggling to lose any weight. I've had some success when I was prescribed Victoza last year where I lost nearly 30 lbs but have slowly started gaining the weight back as my doctor felt that there was really nothing else for them to do and they dropped me as a patient.
I consider myself to be a fairly healthy eater, because I was on victoza for nearly a year my body has gotten used to eating low calories so at the moment I average about 700 calories per day. For exercise I can only do mild to moderate exercise, such as walking small distances, yoga and swimming.
I have not had much luck with finding a good and healthy combination for losing weight or even accepting the person I've become. I'm wondering what successes people have had with losing weight with Hypothyroidism?

Replies

• lovemybooks
    Options
    I really hate telling people what they should do but I need to ask does your doctor know you are only eatting 700 cals a day? In order for the body to burn off weight it needs energy and energy comes from calories. For the past month I have cycled 9 miles nearly every morning and every other morning I do exercies too. It isn't easy but so far I have dropped 7lbs and I try not to exceed 1200 caloaries a day, sometimes I do but I refuse to beat my self up about it like I use to which really got me know where. I figure okay it has been hard but I lost 7 lbs instead of gaining 7. I hope you will reconsider your calorie intact.
  • mariahealthyfit
    Options
    Hi my name is Maria
    I have been suffering with an under active thyroid for almost 3 years now. I had a baby 18 months ago so I'm trying to lose baby weight and weight I gained from having an under active thyroid.
    My question Phonna is when you joined My Fitness Pal, what was your recommended calorie intake? I'm 5ft 7" and my recommended calorie intake before exercises (my BMR = calories needed to survive!) is 1660. Also are you currently taking medication for you thyroid? Since I've had my son, I haven't been able to find the right dose, my doctor keeps increasing my dose but I don't seem to be responding.
    My point to these questions is, if you feel discouraged and really want to get back on track you have to give yourself the best possible chance. You should be taking your medication and you should be eating the calories your body needs... Regardless of your body being used to a low cal intake! Our bodies adapt really well and your body will get used of you eating the calories you need! I know how frustrating having an under active thyroid can be. I don't feel myself anymore and sometimes I feel negitive and wonder why I have to deal with having this problem.
    I started My Fitness Pal last week. I have gained a pound since I started but if I'm honest that's because I had a weekend away with my husband last weekend and eat ALOT of junk food! It's so easy to get discouraged when you don't see the results others see and you put in the hard work. But I hope at Christmas time I will have proven to myself and others that even though I have an under active thyroid I can lose weight! I'm going to add you as a friend and hopefully we can motivate each other. Please be honest with yourself and consider eating the calories you need. Also make sure your taking your meds and find another doctor if needs be. I hope this helped and I'm very sorry if I came off pushy I am just concerned!
    Let's beat this hypothyroidism together!
  • albmil
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth! I would like to know if anyone has been successful with losing weight hypothyroidism and how did they do it? Please!! So frustrated with it!!
  • albmil
    Options
    If it is working for her eating 700 calories why are you urging her to eat more?
  • mariahealthyfit
    Options
    Because it is not sustainable!!! You're body gets used to losing weight a certain way very quickly and as soon as you change that you will put weight back on and more. Also your body needs a minimum amount of calories to function properly. You will have very poor health if you only eat 700 kcals a day! A three year old boy should eat 1300 kcals a day minimum, so what should an adult eat!?? Usually an average adult should it 1200 kcals a day depending on height, weight etc. If you exercise at all you should be eating more! I'm 5ft7inches and I should eat 1660 kcals minimum.

More importantly as Phonna said herself she hasn't been successful at losing weight at the moment, so why put your body through that pressure!??? The reason why it is so hard for me and other people suffering from an under active thyroid is because our thyroid controls our metabolism. It slows it down. If you only eat 700kcals any normal person who doesn't have a problem with their metabolism will also see their metabolism SLOW down, so imagine what it does to a person with an under active thyroid??????
  • mariahealthyfit
    Options
    If it is working for her eating 700 calories why are you urging her to eat more?
    [/quote
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body burns naturally just from being alive: breathing, brain power, heart beat, metabolism, ect…
    When you workout that is EXTRA work. Your body is burning your BMR and your workout calories. So you have to eat extra because you are burning more calories then your body does naturally so you have to eat for the extra
  • iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is harder but still possible, key is to get the right tests done to see what you need to function.
    Have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for 13 years. Started after pregnancy problems levelling years but now at 175 mcg, just cant increase dose more as needed due to afib problems. I think there is a problem with the fact that it is a T4 only med, and will be getting my free T3 and rT3, cortisol tested this week. Check out what info is out there, you have to take charge of your own well being, and the right supplements, food regime and dosage can make a huge difference in how you feel and function

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet.htm

Check out dr Mark Hyman hints on his blog on youtube and at ultrawellness.com
  • iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Again I gained on 1200 - 1500 cal whole food low carb plenty of water and exercise plan. Typical. Frustrating. Never give up!
  • lovemybooks
    Options
    About two years ago I did the Nutri system and losed about 15 pounds but I gained it all back and some. I hummed and hawed at first about doing something about my weight. I made excuses! I blamed my thyroid, never recovering from the weight gain when I stopped smoking and to a degree blamed my eatting habits. I am unemployed (like so many) and did not want to spend money of a programs food to loose weight. I decided to go for a bike ride one morning and I felt good so I did it the next day and thereafter. A week later I started watching my calorie intake and my husband told me about myfitnesspal. I tried to do do exercises in the morning before my bike ride but I do not bother to key them in. I realized I do not need a weight lose program but a new life style. That first bike ride was the last week of July 2012 today the end of September I am down 17 pounds!!! I tried looking on line for foods that would speed up my metabolism and gave up so much searching and searching. I try to drink enough water each day. I never had a problem with water as some of my friends do but I really did not drink enough of it. I really think it helps. I never really liked dark chocolate before but I do not infact I find milk chocolate too sweet (who would have thought!) The nice think about dark chocolate is I small piece like Bliss of Dove Promises is generally enough! And I haven't been craving the chocolate. I still hate being near fresh italian/french bread, ahhh it smells so good.
    I am on a 1200 cal intake, I thought to increase to 1600 but after a few days found I was satisfied with the 1200. I wish I could help "iambuttercup" I hope this encourages you to keep trying.