Anyone Disabled?

Options
2»

Replies

• Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Mrs Agi,

Well done to hubby & you for losing weight it doesn't matter how much at least its the right direction & not going up:bigsmile:

Not sure if I could do a dairy free diet as although I don't eat butter or spread I do have low fat cream cheese & cottage cheese. Of course I would if it was necessary for my health. I have had some 'naughty' snacks this week so feel really bad but then tell myself I'm allowed to have some treats now & again.

I have been very interested in the Olympics & my head keeps telling me I should get up off my backside & DO SOMETHING & I keep looking at an exercise DVD which is on a shelf opposite my recliner. Its from the MS Trust & is especially for those who are limited to what they can do. I'lm determined to get it down & actually do the exercises once the Olympics are finished so watch this space lol.
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Opuntia

Sounds like you have a lot to contend with as I do but we seem to manage to get through each day somehow eh? We have some things in common as my mind gets more confused these days & my concentration is not good. I too have muscle weakness & should be doing strength exercises.

The athletes in the Olympics are brilliant my head is telling me to do something & I will when its over.
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hello TinnedTuna

You have a really good outlook & are doing very well with the weight loss, good for you. :bigsmile: I have made my own weights & use them every now & then but am aware I should do it much more.

I use crutches every day but just around the house not for long distances which is good as my wrists & arms are quite weak now. My legs are extremely stiff & its difficult to move them at times I'm just dragging them around. Every day is different so I have to make the most of the good days, even then I get it wrong by doing too much when I should rest in between activities. Sounds like you manage your problems very well.

I wish I could do my own garden but now have to rely on a lovely lady called Caroline who knows a lot about plants & works very hard to get my garden just as I want it & would have done it myself.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a good day :happy:
  • spoonielass
    spoonielass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am disabled, have Lupus hence the Spoonielass MFP name :) Also other conditions, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia?sp and Endometriosis to name a few hehe

Try to work out when I can but that can be just hoovering or crawling up and down the stairs a few times - would like to be able to swim but the chlorine is not so kind to me.

Got to try and do what you can, when you can and try not to beat yourself up about what you are not doing!
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Spoonielass,

I've heard of Lupus but don't know much about it so I'm afraid I don't get the "Spoonielass" thing. I think its a blood problem & you get tired a lot am I on right track?

Well done for doing what you can I wish I could hoover but its impossible now. I do manage to get about the house with the aid of crutches as I definitately don't want to use a wheelchair inside just yet. I suppose there will come a time I have to but am hoping that's a long way off.

I'm having to work hard at not giving in & eating 'unhealthy' at the mo. Although somehow am still keeping to my calorie allowance thank goodness.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi all

this leading by example thing is really paying off:) Not only is hubby making much smaller, healthier meals for everyone, but my eldest autistic son wants me to take him out for a run! He HATES (ordering on phobia) the outside and doesn't like physical exercise so this is an amazing request from him!

Also, hubby is thinking about trying to add in some daily exercise - he has arthritis in all his joints so needs something totally non (or very low) impact, especially for his legs which are affected worse than his upper body. He can't swim because he also has psoriases.... does anyone have any good ideas/recommendations of DVDs etc?

I have suggested he cycles - not sure how motivated he will be to go out in the cold though;)
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Mrs Agi

So pleased you are all doing good its great that you are all pulling together & I hope your son really takes to the outside it would be so good for him & you. I don't suppose you could clone your husband & send him to me? I really could use the help!

I have a DVD from the MS Trust which is done by 'Mr Motivator' here is the link to it

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/publications/moveit.jsp

have a look & see if you think it would be suitable for hubby, it only costs £1 but the P&P will be more of course.

Let me know if it helps.
  • vmacmath
    Options
    Hey, yep, I am "lucky" enough to have a rare form of osteoporosis from when I was pregnant with my daughter...from someone who used to do two jobs (one office, one managing a nightclub) dancing every weekend, horse riding and jogging, I can't do any of the above or join a gym, I am down to walking and swimming (when I get over my fear of water) I have just given up smoking too and also painfully suffered a miscarriage last month...lots of comfort eating and drinking here...I have piled on 2.5 stone and due to the osteo I have also lost 2 inches in height...I'm sure if we all help each other and stay strong (currently on my second bottle of water rather than coke) we can get ourselves where we want to be?!?!?!??!:wink:
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hiya

I'm so sorry for your loss & fully understand the comfort eating. Its so hard to get motivated after something like that so well done you for joing us on MFP.

It seems there are a heck of a lot of us in the same boat & its good to hear others stories. I too used to be
    very active, I had a full time job, bought up my 2 children on my own, did my own gardening, decorating & went line dancing 4 or 5 times a week plus the year before I was diagnosed with MS I joined a gym & went swimming. Unfortunately now I can barely walk let alone anything else. The most exercise I get is walking down the hallway to the kitchen & back to make a cuppa.

My calorie intake has been all over the place lately as I have had a few health problems relating to MS & felt rather low so just eating whatever comes to hand or what my partner has, which is a lot of sugery things. He is tall & slim & can eat anything & everything & never put any weight on plus he eats all the time which is very annoying lol.

Rant over will go to see what where having for tea now & will try to make it healthy :laugh: :laugh: