How many carbs do you aim for?

Options
ginib
ginib Posts: 62 Member
What is low? What is high?

I think I'm screwing this up. I'm going to re-read the book this weekend, but would love to know how you are approaching this in regard to how many carbs you average on your high and low days.

Gini

Replies

• Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't personally pay alot of attention to how much or how litte. I just know that on Low days my carbs are basically only coming from my morning shake so I am generally well under a hundred in the carb column and on high carb days it is above generally 150-165 I think.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I try for 20% carbs (20carb/45pro/35fat) on low days & 40% (40carb/30pro/30fat) on high days. It doesn't always work out that way, but I try. :wink:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    LC days i try to be under 100g,
  • luis1984
    luis1984 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To make it easy for you let me tell you what I do, for low carb days I eat 1,500 calories and if you divide that up in five meals that is equals to 300 cals per meal. Also keep in mind that regardless of a high carb low carb day for breakfast you must eat a high carb breakfast menaing half of those calories must come from carbs and the other half from protein. Below is an example of both my HC and LC days. Dont overcomplicate yourself with grams, the main thing here are calories!

High Carb day:
    Breakfast:
    200 calories from egg whites (protein)
    100 calories from bread (carb)
    100 calories from (banana)
    Total 400 cals 50% protein and 50% carbs.

Low Carb day:
    Breakfast:
    100 calories from egg whites (protein)
    100 calories form bread (carbs)
    100 calories from a banana (carbs)
    Total 300 cals

Did you notice the difference? in a High carb day I eat 2,000 calories and a Low crab day I eat 1,500 calories a day. You must always have carbs and proteins for breakfast regardless of LC or HC days, the only difference is on HC days my breakfast is 400 calories and in a LC day is only 300. However, if you are in a Low carb day, then after breakfast you must not have any more carbs for the rest of the day. Just follow Chris's list of carbs and you will have an idea of what I am talking about.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Grams "are" calories 1 gram of protein or carbs are 4 calories each...

which still leaves up in the air on LC day what is your carb limit (whether grams OR calories since they end in the same thing) and HC day what is your carb limit?

I'm having problems deciding my meals for the day because I can't decide what is HC and what is LC.. I know there's a carb chart and "don't eat them" after breakfast but still, it'd be easy to get "100 grams" of carbs not 100 calories for a breakfast.... is that my limit for the day?
    For now I am using 100grams of carbs as my LC day as my HC days can still hit 250. is it right? I don't know "Chris" doesn't really say just says have a HC and a LC day alternating
  • allthngsthru
    Options
    I find that it hard too and sometimes confusing! I have to stop sometimes and think "is this a high carb or low carb day?" Or that has a lot protein in it but it's a carb?? Ahhhh! I just try my best to not get any fat on high carb days and not get any carbs on low carb days other than breakfast. Personally, I don't eat carbs at supper if I can help it. This works for me. I do mess up sometimes however. I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard to eat enough! I want to incorporate protein powder when my budget allows. Your welcome to befriend me and look at my diary. I don't know if it would help, I am new at this too. I found it helpful to go to Chris Powell's website and print off his smart foods guide. That way I can refer to eat when putting my meals together.