Fav. low calorie Ideas for labor day weekend get together

Options
Having a family shin-dig at our place this Labor Day weekend. Will be feeding a housefull, any waist friendly suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 jar Marinara (or your favorite spaghetti sauce)
    1/2 pkg cottage cheese (16 oz)
    4 cups mozzarella (this depends on how much cheese you want - we use a lot)
    1 pkg Jenni-o Italian seasoned ground turkey or Italian turkey sausage (or I use 1 pkg ground turkey with Italian seasonings {from Costco} sprinkled on it)

Cut the squash length wise and scoop out seeds and strings (I use an ice cream scoop - it makes it much easier)
    Spray cookie sheet with Pam, place cut down and bake at 350 for about 40-45 mins.
    Take out of the oven, flip them over to cool
    While cooling...
    Brown Ground Turkey drain off fat
    Add Marinara
    Add cottage cheese
    Then scrape a fork across the Squash to make "spaghetti like strands" careful they may still be hot (I just dump in the squash after using the ice cream scoop)
    Place in a large bowl (I usually just mix it all in the skillet - just use a LARGE skillet)
    Add the sauce mixture and mix together

In a 9x13 pan add half the mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella (how much depends on how cheesy or how calorie laden you want the dish...I use about a 1/2-1 cup on each layer) Sprinkle with Parmesan
    Add the other half of the Squash mixture, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
    Bake at 350 until bubbly and cheese has melted.

Note: there will be "water" in the bottom of the pan as I think it's from the squash's natural moisture... just let it drain a bit before placing on your plate or in your bowl.

Sorry, I don't know the actual calorie count- as it depends on how much sauce, cheese, etc you use, and I kind of dump/wing it each time...
  • CMASAM22
    CMASAM22 Posts: 17
    Options
    OMGsh that sounds yummy, thanks!:happy:
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    here's a family fav- just for dinner one night- easy -

Thrifty Spaghetti Casserole

1 lb ground meat of your choice (I use Turkey or Italian sausage)
    1 can spaghetti
    1 can cream soup (mushroom is my fav)
    1 can Veg-All (mixed veggies)
    cheese of your choice

Brown and drain the meat - (I mostly use Lean ground Turkey, and sprinkle it with Italian seasoning from Costco or whatever.). Mix in the can of spaghetti, cream soup, and veggies- (sometimes I add fresh veggies too) and stir, then pour into 9x11 inch pan, and sprinkle with cheese, bake at 350 (F) for about 20 minutes or until bubbly, and then serve.

My guys LOVE this recipe. They always put more cheese on theirs of course...