Hello, new member here! Glad to see a group like this!

Options
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself since I'm new to MFP and this group. I too struggle with mental health issues (bipolar, OCD/anxiety, social anxiety) and am also trying to work toward losing some of the weight I've packed on since experimenting with different meds. Right now I'm going through a hard time and I don't really have a lot of people to go to for support, particularly with these issues and weight loss. I currently don't have health insurance, so I have been looking for ways to manage mood swings with diet and exercise for the time being (though I hope to stick with it!)

I was wondering how others might manage overeating/binge eating and trying to get motivation to exercise during mood swings? I can go several days with adamantly sticking to my weightloss program, and then have a stressful time and go right back to heavy snacking/ binge eating and oversleeping/ not having the energy to do my workouts. Does anyone else experience this? I'm also curious as to what medications may have worked for others in stabilizing moods and not causing too much of a weight gain (or maybe ones that even help with weight loss.) I have had some pretty bad experiences with medications so far.

Thanks! I look forward to getting to know the boards and getting acquainted with MFP!
I'm always looking for new friends to discuss these issues/similar topics with... anything mental health and weightloss related, really! Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• shakeitoffbxch
    shakeitoffbxch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :) I also struggle with a lot of anxiety and some on and off bad depressions- sorry you're still experimenting with meds- I remember that anxiety- luckily i found an alright one i was on for over a year (celexa) on my 2nd try after zoloft made me highhhhhhhh as a kite and made me very impulsive) it was't fun trying to figure out doses though. sometimes it takes quite a few tries. Finally i had enough last october and quit cold turkey (DONT DO THAT!!! i took a HUGE risk, but i had had my dosage upped from 50 mg- which didnt help, to 60 mg which made me borderline suicidal. I think I had just gotten my use and adapted too much for it to help.) I actually said enough to ADs at that point. I haven't taken any since, but then again, I have weekly therapy, biweekly family therapy, a grief support group, and had good relationship with my prescriber, who trusted I would tell her if something became too much.... the next medication we would go to though was wellbutrin, even though theres a high risk of increased anxiety..

I know for anxiety, klonopin at medium doses helped for a while, i eventually adapted and had to switch to ativan- which takes me down very quickly if i take it on time. I too experienced some weight gain on meds- celexa was the worst one i dealt with... that weight comes off though. Now I'm working on weight from emotional eating/binging.

as for energy during moodswings/ motivation? I still struggle with this, but one of the things that helped was knowing how much better i would feel afterwards, and after this journey is towards the end and being healthy is no longer such an effort. The endorphin rush can be a great thing to motivate me. Oversleeping is my worst demon right now-- i dont know what to tell you about this one... i cant get the motivation to get out of bed in the morning, but once 1130 or noon rolls around, i know i have to get up... then again im usually up till 2 or 3 am...

i wish you luck on your journey and success in stabilizing everything! :) feel free to add me, and sorry if i sounded whiny and for my atrocious spelling / grammar :)
  • screamapillar
    Options
    Oh no, that's not whiny! Thank you for sharing your experience :)

I have gone cold turkey before too, and if anyone else happens to read this... it is absolutely A BAD IDEA. I had to go to the emergency room from the shock it gave my brain each time I had done so. I think I'm also incredibly sensitive to medication because I have never, even in small doses, not had some kind of bad reaction or horrible side effect to something. I think the worst of them I had was Geodon, which sent me into a really long manic episode like I had never experienced and I ended up in the hospital.

I was actually also recently prescribed Klonopin when I had to go to the ER again because I hadn't slept in several days and was starting to have problems. I've been afraid to take it though, and have resorted to trying benadryl and nyquil for the time being for sleep (not abusively... I've had benadryl twice and Nyquil once over the last several weeks at times when I hadn't slept much for a few days and needed a good night's rest.) because it feels like the safer option when I can't really afford to go to the hospital again if I have another bad reaction to a strong med.

You also mentioned Wellbutrin, which I had another bad experience with (though not quite so severe like my reaction to others.) Wellbutrin just gave me a strange feeling I've only been able to describe as "cracked out," sort of like taking dayquil (opposite effect of nyquil).... it made me restless, shaky and anxious and never seemed to kick in with the benefits of the drug, but I have known Wellbutrin to work quite well for other people I have known.

Thanks again for sharing! Nice to meet you! :)
  • shakeitoffbxch
    shakeitoffbxch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    oh man that sounds insane for the shocks and manic episodes! :( what gave you shocks? i have only heard of effexor doing that, and when my prescriber wanted to put me on that, i said over my dead body and never fully trusted her after lol.

as for the klonopin, try maybe half a tablet, it really does wonders. hell, even a quarter of a tablet for the first couple times. (unless you have a time-release version! then thats not a good option!) it just takes you down a little bit so your mind isnt going as fast, which in turn helps you relax enough to go to sleep.

and yeah, unfortunately wellbutrin is one of those drugs that it works great for 60% or people,. but the other 40% become more anxious, agitated, or "cracked out" -- good description, there.

i hope you find what works :)) and nice to meet you too! feel free to pm me :)
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Salutations!

I did my intro on this group a few entries back. Although I've tried the non-prescription route, it unfortunately didn't work for me, so alas, I am stuck with some of the bad side effects. However, I do remember some otc meds/vitamins that are suppose to help with various issues.

Vitamin B Super Complex: The "B"s are suppose to lighten your mood, increase your sense of well-being/overall health. I'm actually taking it *with* my prescription meds because I'm not really on anti-depressant.

Valerian Root is good for treating anxiety, and is used for relaxation; however, if I remember correctly, you shouldn't take it if you want to become pregnant.

Melatonin is a "natural source" to help with sleep. It works with the Circadian (sp?) Rhythm.

I think if you Google/Bing "holistic treatment for XXXX" you might get some good suggestions.

Here's wishing you bunches of luck!
  • screamapillar
    Options
    Thanks for the info/support Lyssa! I have read a little into holistic approaches, but haven't experimented with them too much yet. Have you tried these/had any luck with them?
  • monkeymo_64
    monkeymo_64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you need help sleeping, melatonin is a very good supplement. It's normally produced by your body naturally around half an hour before bed time- its what makes you sleepy. Try taking some of it abut an hour to 30 minutes before you want to go to bed. If it doesnt work, take another. You should only need to take it 2 or 3 days in a row because it helps your body to produce its own melatonin at bed time if you take it at the same time every night. :)
    I have found that consistently taking vitamin b is helpful, but the best way to get it and to boost your mood is to eat foods that are high in vitamin b, since you need the other things in food to absorb it properly. I believe cantaloupe, bell peppers and salmon are all high in b- but look it up, it shouldnt be difficult information to find.
    I have the same problem with motivation. It can be really difficult to get out of bed when you're feeling depressed. My best advice is to find something you take even some small amount of enjoyment in and FORCE yourself to get up and do it- even better if this activity can be done outdoors. For me, this is usually working in my garden or taking an easel outside and painting, or reading a book outside. Open your blinds and leave them open for the duration of your depressive episode. Dark rooms don't help. Once you're outside doing something, it makes it a lot easier to actually move, and that will kickstart endorphin production which will help make you a little happier!
    One more thing: make sure you're getting enough water and salt. I know salt seems to be the devil's mineral as far as dieting is concerned, but your brain requires water and salt to make proper connections. Without these two vital nutrients, brain function decreases and so does happiness and healthiness. I was on a drug for a while that totally wiped out all my salt... it ended up doing WAY more harm than help.
    Hope you find some of that useful! Good luck.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info/support Lyssa! I have read a little into holistic approaches, but haven't experimented with them too much yet. Have you tried these/had any luck with them?

For me, they worked *some* but not enough. The more stressors, aggrivating people and situations, the worse I got. When my ideations, depression, and manic attacks became to much, I finally reached out to the Veterans Administration for help. You see, all of this started while I was in the military, and for a while I was put on medications while in the service. It got ugly. I was due to get out of the military and quit all my meds. Had a 3-day-stay at a "safe place" and was medicated yet again.

I got my honorable discharge, but was off medications. I survived on holistic methods until 2007, but was a non-traditional student at the local community college - I got wrapped up in more than just my studies (stupid on my part.) Anyway, that's when I reached-out to the VA, and started the 'guinea pig' routine until we *finally* found what worked "best."

The down-side to the prescription meds: they're forever. They're also impeding weight-loss in a more timely fashion. :frown:

I'm still going to stick with the "Super B" by Nature Made, but am hoping that a nutritionist can help me figure out what foods can make my brain less "dippy." I don't like it when I am a flake...which is happening more and more. I reckon it's something I need to talk to my shrink about too.

I'd absolutely encourage you to try the holistic methods available and am hopeful that you won't have to go on prescription meds.

~Lyssa