Half marathon training - gaining weight??!

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
Hi there - just joined this group as I've come back to running regularly and am training for half marathon in October. I run because I love it but really my biggest motivation is that I hear it's the biggest calorie burner and am keen to shed at least 10lbs. (am 5ft 3 and 126 pounds)

So far my longest distances have been 10ks - and my longest training run has been 8 miles (this morning). I thought the weight would drop off me once I started running for an hour or more, and am finding if anything the opposite. So, is long distance running not really the best way to try and shed the pounds.??

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the best way to shed weight, how you create that deficit is up to you.

You may be gaining weight because you're drinking more water, or because you're eating more carbohydrates. These sorts of gains arent really gains in fat or muscle, but you may also be putting on more muscle and gaining that way. You may be over estimating the amount you're burning on runs as well. What does the mirror say?
  • RunningHappy
    Options
    I would suggest that you take measurements of your hips, thighs and waist and see if those numbers are increasing along with the numbers on the scale. Also, don't forget to take into account that your muscles will swell a bit after long runs so take these measurements over a week or two.

If you are growing in size, then you might be consuming too much food to compensate for the extra calorie burn from your runs. I suggest wearing a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate measure of your calorie burn. Also, while carbs are important for active people, they are easy to overdo - so make sure you are getting in your veggies and protein!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I echo your experience. I look forward to seeing some input from more experienced runners.

I don't know whether the cause here is psychological ("I'm running 90miles a month I ought to be able to eat what the heck I want - hand me those dorittos and a side of cake") or pysiological (body desperately craving more food to keep it repaired).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who put on weight long-distance training. This was even carefully tracking my calories and portion sizes, whatever my enormous appetite told me.

My theory is that whatever calorie burn calculation method you use - MFP, HRM, Runkeeper, Cardiotrainer etc. - there's a law of diminishing returns after an hour or so - your body simply burns fewer calories per minutes the further you get into your workout. Don't forget you're getting more efficient as you train too, and burning fewer calories just by getting better at running.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    your body simply burns fewer calories per minutes the further you get into your workout

I wish my car worked this way. Considering some of my ultras have gone into the 12 hour range, I must be burning zero calories by then.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do not understand but totally agree after an hour our bodies simply slow even when the heart monitor is showing the workout. Plus look at the food you are eating. Is it more process? The sodium and sugar need to watch. You look great. Throw your scale out. You are healthy and in a good weight zone. Run for the fun and benefits.

Patsy
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds with my last half-marathon.

I'd say that long-distance running is definately NOT the best way to shed POUNDS. Get fit and toned, yes. See a negative change on the scale, no.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've been told that long distance running is not the best method for losing weight as you need to fuel your body to be able to help cover the longer distances.

I was losing in the beginning when I was running shorter distances and I kept to a 1200 calorie consumption. However, the longer runs I have... even though I'm burning more calories... I'm finding my body WANTS more calories, so I'm eating more to fuel my workouts. Granted... I haven't been eating the best this summer, but I'm definitely not out there eating McDonald's and ice cream every day. I still haven't found the right balance for fueling long runs and still losing weight... but I'm experimenting!!!

I'd also agree that you should take your measurements. You may find you're losing inches (vs. pounds) as your body is re-shaping due to your new workouts.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight doing distance running. It's all about proper fueling and proper logging. I lost 10 pounds in 8 week at the peak of HM training when I was running between 55 and 70 miles a week. I did not feel hungry all the time, nor weak. I just ate the right amounts of the right foods.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I think key is logging food properly and making sure I'm getting enough protein (which I'm not, so am making up for with carbs :/)
    BUT taking measurements has really helped because my thighs have slimmed a bit and I notice they're a better shape (am always going to be of the chunky thigh make up, sadly, but at least I can have nice chunky thighs)
    More importantly I'm loving the running and the sense of achievement I feel after each run.