You attract what you ARE, not what you WANT

Options
A friend posted this header statement on FB today and it's stuck with me all day. I have gone back and forth for 3 months now with whether I should even be doing online dating because I never attract men I'm attracted to. They are all men that, quite frankly, repulse me. I feel like I lowered my standards for this round of online dating just to get a date...it worked, but now I don't want any of them, haha...

Wednesday I had a first date off POF that I shared with those of you on my friend's list. Truthfully, I think he's a nice enough guy. He did all the right things and was clearly interested. He was also 30-40 lbs heavier than his pics, almost bald compared to his pics, and had a gap of more than 1/4" between his front two teeth. I had no attraction but decided to enjoy the evening and see what happened. What I got was lots of reasonable conversation and when topics lulled to a stop...chest staring. It made me uncomfortable, but I'll admit that is likely because I wasn't interested. He went in for a good night kiss, and I slid to the side for hug.

So I felt unsure how to proceed. I honestly considered the second date because no one I want, wants me back so maybe I am missing out on what I could be having by not giving something a chance to develop. An MFP friend asked me whether I could envision making out with the guy as a way to decide if anything might develop with time, and I could honestly say the idea made me sick to my stomach. So I promptly ended things before there was even a second date. The guy practically begged for another chance. I didn't let that go further. I figure if I can't imagine one kiss, nothing more will develop with time.

But now it's left me wondering... is there a way to fix the difference between what you want and what you attract? I'm not even sure what causes this gap for me yet my friend's quote weighs heavily on me. I'm pretty happy with who I am as a person so I've long assumed it was appearance related, but now I don't think so. This same thing occured when I weighed 40 lbs less so it can't be weight alone driving this. It's not an online vs. IRL dating question because I experience the same IRL. So what can it be?

I am a problem solver, yet this one has illuded me for years. It seems to me that if you don't close that gap, you END UP ALONE. Anyone else out there wondering if that's a sign that you're supposed to be alone? I just don't know if this is a problem I can FIX yet am tired of fighting it!! Sorry for being a little overly introspective and philosophical... Sunday afternoon and heavy rains leaves me stuck inside thinking too much, haha... now you know why I don't sit still long, haha...:laugh:

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    First off,physical attraction is an arbitrary thing that no person can completely explain how it happens for them.
    In this case the guy in person was entirely different then the one who attracted you in pictures.
    That is not your fault and stupid on him for thinking he could do that.
    The same would apply if it was a lady and a guy was writing what you did so don`t think anymore about it.

As far as your second question,there is just really no answer to it except to work towards letting the physical become less a thing and the interaction become more.
    Will every lady be interested in a funny guy no matter his looks?
    No.
    Will every guy be attracted to an outgoing lady regardless either?
    No.

Understand that,accept it,don`t worry over it and live life.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by he did all the right things when he misrepresented himself in his profile. The fact that he is much heavier and balder than in the old photos he posted was really a dishonest representation of who he is. That started the date off on a bad note possibly. It would for me.

I said it earlier in another thread, but to me, a kiss at the end of the first date is a bad idea with someone I just met. Clearly, he had not established interest from you and went in for a kiss despite not getting any cues to do so. Also wrong!

Chest staring? Jeez! My date yesterday went alright (although I have no interest in another date with the guy) up until we shook hands goodbye. Then, without any subtlety whatsoever, he totally checked out my butt before walking away. It made me uncomfortable. I guess you got a boob guy instead. Either way, I was just thinking "Dude, not cool!"

I don't need to be able imagine making out with someone for a second date, but it's absolutely necessary for me to not be repulsed by the idea. Neutral or interested. You're doing the right thing by not going out again.

I would say don't lower your standards. Maybe lower your expectations of finding everything you would like in one person, but don't settle for someone who does things you think are inappropriate (like the chest staring). With a profile and a couple communications, it's not possible to know anything really about that person apart from a few of their interests, so you don't have enough information yet about them to know if they are what you want.

You're wondering if there is a way to fix this, but can you say specifically what it is you would like to fix? You want to attract more attractive men? That one's easy. Make yourself more attractive by losing weight and putting attractive pictures in your profile. It's a fact that us gals with weight to lose will be overlooked by many men for that one factor alone. Losing weight is something that will take time (I hope that doesn't sound mean - I'm in this boat too and trying to be objective here). You want to attract men who share an interest of yours? Use that as a search criterion or join some kind of group or maybe an online forum dedicated to your interest. You want to attract men who are polite and respectful? Well, that one is a gamble and you won't know until you speak or meet probably - with online dating, it's more a matter of filtering out the creeps and weirdos after they contact you. I wouldn't for a second think that you are necessarily ATTRACTING those men. Many people in online dating are just fishing blindly and indiscriminately, hoping for a bite.

Can you first really define what the gap is?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne? It's about the law of attraction and how we manifest what we're thinking about all the time in our lives. It's slightly cheesy, but worth reading anyway - if nothing else it will most likely give you something to think about. The bigger problem is that as much as you want something you're doubting that you can have it, so in the end the doubting part of yourself wins out and you do get what you are or think... This is true for all parts of life, not just dating and relationships. Ok, hope that doesn't make me sound totally hippy or something, but by paying attention to my own life, I'm starting to believe it.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think you have to give yourself permission to not like someone who's attracted to you. In the past I've struggled really hard with trying to force something because someone was attracted to me and I wasn't really attracted to them. For me it was a mind shift from "am I worthy of their attention" to "are they worth mine."

I surely don't think lowering your standards is the answer but maybe deciding which of them really mean the most to you. I think it's smart just to get out there and say yes to dating when the opportunities arise and try not to overthink things right away. Online dating is tricky and you go on a lot of bad dates in hopes of finally landing a good one. I'm glad to see you trying it out again, it really is a numbers game - hang in there!!

PS - I don't agree with the title of this post. I know for me that I'm usually attracted to people that embody something I want to be. I'm attracted to something in their personality, hobbies or attitude that I covet and want to improve on in my life.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It's hard to attract someone significantly different from you and keep them around for a long term. There's got to be good reasons (logical and/or emotional, often emotional) for someone to stick around.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's hard to attract someone significantly different from you and keep them around for a long term. There's got to be good reasons (logical and/or emotional, often emotional) for someone to stick around.

I get that DM and agree.... I actually want someone EXACTLY like me! OK, I'm being facetious, but someone a lot like me would be awesome. What I keep attracting are losers! I don't consider myself a loser yet this quote gave me a lot to think about why that is the case. Best not to over-analyze I suppose.....

And Mellie, I have no idea what the gap is, which is why I'm confused. I can accept part of it being appearance/ size related, as we all know your options change and generally improve as you do. Outside of that, where are all the intelligent, funny, active, charming men my age?! Not online, evidently, haha...

Thank you Moyzilla for sharing about it being OK to not like someone who is attracted to you. I spent two days after I turned this guy down thinking made I'd made a bad decision, etc.... I know that's NOT the case, but it was flattering having someone clearly interested.

I'm still keeping on... I admit to being an over-analyzer, but it's served me well in continuing to make improvements in my life. I don't see the gap this time outside of appearance, so for now, I'll keep at it and let Jillian Michaels kick my butt fully back into shape :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    "You attract what you are, not what you want." Hmmmm

Look around at your friends.What are they like? Do you find yourself complaining about them either in your head or to another friend?

I am told I am warm, kind, loving, communicate my feelings in an intelligent manner and am very caring......and talk too much. YET I seem to attract friends that come off as mean, cant communicate their feelings, and do not talk at all. I am talking mean......some did/do things I just cannot imagine myself doing.

What I was thinking is these people see me as what they wish they could be OR someone to manipulate.

Having been a doormat all my life, this has changed in the past year.

I am terrifed to date as I still seem to attract friends that are negative and miserable, and don't want another partnership like that.

My best friend is all of the things I have been told I am, and I adore her with my heart and soul. I want someone just like her!:love:

I think this guy plain our lied to you and it was a turn off right from the beginning. :flowerforyou:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I think that's just human nature. What fun is it chasing people who are equal to you? There's always more reward and sense of accomplishment landing a partner that's hotter, wealthier, and better looking than you. Pretty much everyone (including myself) does the same exact thing. So you certainly aren't alone.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    I think that's just human nature. What fun is it chasing people who are equal to you? There's always more reward and sense of accomplishment landing a partner that's hotter, wealthier, and better looking than you. Pretty much everyone (including myself) does the same exact thing. So you certainly aren't alone.
    I don't understand this idea. The fun in chasing someone equal to you is ending up with a partner who is an equal. That is incredibly rewarding and an accomplishment, IMO. Someone doesn't have to be wealthier or better looking to be a really great catch. I'm looking for a man who is a confident and can show me he's smart and funny. I guess that makes things easier for me if everyone else is trying to date up - less competition! :wink:
  • Mellie289
    Options
    Thank you Moyzilla for sharing about it being OK to not like someone who is attracted to you. I spent two days after I turned this guy down thinking made I'd made a bad decision, etc.... I know that's NOT the case, but it was flattering having someone clearly interested.
    It's not a bad decision if he's the wrong guy. As long as you turn him down in an honest and kind way, you don't need to worry about it too much. Just say Next! and move on. Some men will like you who you don't care for, like this one. You will like some men, who won't be interested in you. It's just the numbers game to meet enough people so you eventually find one that likes you at the same time.

Take the flattery graciously because online dating is enough of a hit to the self-esteem generally with all the rejection. Let this boost your confidence and put a little swagger in your walk. :wink:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I don't need to be able imagine making out with someone for a second date, but it's absolutely necessary for me to not be repulsed by the idea. Neutral or interested. You're doing the right thing by not going out again.
    First, this. Wrong guy.
    I would say don't lower your standards. Maybe lower your expectations of finding everything you would like in one person, but don't settle for someone who does things you think are inappropriate (like the chest staring).

You want to attract more attractive men? Make yourself more attractive by losing weight and putting attractive pictures in your profile. It's a fact that us gals with weight to lose will be overlooked by many men for that one factor alone.
    You want to attract men who share an interest of yours? Use that as a search criterion or join some kind of group or maybe an online forum dedicated to your interest.
    This and this.
    It's not so much about lowering your standards, but improving yourself (what you seem to be doing to be honest).
    I wouldn't for a second think that you are necessarily ATTRACTING those men. Many people in online dating are just fishing blindly and indiscriminately, hoping for a bite.
    This. With online dating, all the losers suddenly grow a pair of balls. Amazing, eh? But some people are a joke (online/offline dating), and these guys clearly would like to attract YOU but are not up to your standards, so they should follow the advice above and improve themselves first.
    And Mellie, I have no idea what the gap is, which is why I'm confused. I can accept part of it being appearance/ size related, as we all know your options change and generally improve as you do. Outside of that, where are all the intelligent, funny, active, charming men my age?! Not online, evidently, haha...
    I kinda believe it's true you attract what you are, not what you want. Well kinda.
    - You attract what you are and your inferiors.
    - You will only respond positively to people you have enough qualities to attract you (but it doesn't have to be the exact same allocation of qualities as yours).
    So yeah, technically someone has to be your equal - in one way or another - to form a relationship.

This is what it means, not that if you attract losers you're a loser (because remember they attract what THEY are, and if you're not attracted, well that's certainly not you).
    (On a side note, this is the principle behind the demonstration of higher value the PUA community talks about).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I used to live believing your friend's words, and it tore me apart because I hated myself. I had zero self esteem. It's all bull crap though. Once we meet someone, there is attraction or not based on an unconscious level and pheromones and all that instinct and evolution stuff.

Your friend is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong! And you were right to refuse to kiss someone who repulses you. Not fair to him or to you.

Keep dating until you find someone you're attracted to who is attracted to you, and in the meantime, don't hate yourself just because dating is hard and humans are in general messed up, neurotic little beasties who stare at secondary sexual characteristics. Dating is hard for everyone and our species is a sorry dead end, but unfortunately we don't do very well alone and we're stuck with us.

Unless you like cats. Personally, I'm planning on becoming a crazy old cat lady myself. But I'm not old yet, and I do plan to get back out there and enjoy myself for a few more years before I settle down into a cramped and dilapidated apartment with two or three nice, sane cats for company.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Once we meet someone, there is attraction or not based on an unconscious level and pheromones and all that instinct and evolution stuff.
    I doubt this is the major factor in attraction honestly.
    Although thinking like certainly helps coping because it makes one feel less empowered in this domain (seduction/relationships).

Anyway, pick up artists have demonstrated that there are patterns that you can use in the initial phases of seduction at least.
    To temper this though, it has also been demonstrated that success brings more success at an hormonal level, as it affects your self confidence, body language, or in general how attractive you are to other people (so if you manage to get in the right frame of mind, your success will attract more success). But I firmly believe it is best to take an active part in that success initially, until it comes to you naturally.
    This is probably close to the law of attraction which I see mentioned here and there.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I really dont think you should date someone you're not attracted to! Urgh!

If you are lowering you standards then perhaps that is what you ARE attracting, a lower standard! Or at least what you're making yourself become because of this internet BS that just lowers self esteem!

Stop it now and go for who you WANT! When you start believing that you deserve him, you will attract him! :flowerforyou:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Once we meet someone, there is attraction or not based on an unconscious level and pheromones and all that instinct and evolution stuff.
    I doubt this is the major factor in attraction honestly.
    Although thinking like certainly helps coping because it makes one feel less empowered in this domain (seduction/relationships).

Anyway, pick up artists have demonstrated that there are patterns that you can use in the initial phases of seduction at least.
    To temper this though, it has also been demonstrated that success brings more success at an hormonal level, as it affects your self confidence, body language, or in general how attractive you are to other people (so if you manage to get in the right frame of mind, your success will attract more success). But I firmly believe it is best to take an active part in that success initially, until it comes to you naturally.
    This is probably close to the law of attraction which I see mentioned here and there.

Okay, fair points, body language and the confidence behind it are part of it. Con artists use that, too, they know how to project what they want you to see.

But if you're repulsed by the idea of physical contact with someone, chances are, there are biological reasons at work as well. Then again, perhaps your status in life and how you feel about yourself can alter whether someone will be repulsed by you or not, I could buy that, but regardless, I'm not setting up a second date with someone who repulses me, and I'm not beating myself up for refusing to.

Edit: Grammar, and also, that said, I've learned to be extremely wary of men I'm attracted to who normally don't fit my ideal. Some of them have turned out to be con artists.

My pet theory is that some of the worst in society have evolved some charm, it keeps them alive and free to procreate. Someday maybe a scientific study will prove me right. Meanwhile, I do watch my back around any man too charming for my own good. :laugh:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    Options

If you are lowering you standards then perhaps that is what you ARE attracting, a lower standard! Or at least what you're making yourself become because of this internet BS that just lowers self esteem!

Stop it now and go for who you WANT! When you start believing that you deserve him, you will attract him! :flowerforyou:

Thank you for saying this, Anna. I had a rough weekend for some unknown reason but once my rational self returned, I realized I was sabotaging myself. I emailed NO ONE over the weekend on either POF or OKC… you know why? I didn’t want to settle for those I thought I could get a response from yet convinced myself the others wouldn’t respond so why bother. SO I DID NOTHING! Ridiculous and I see that now… I’m not going after the guys I want either, so why should I be surprised at the outcome.

I also really loved Flam’s point about the header of this post. It makes more sense to me now that you do attract who you are (and LESS) because I wouldn’t have even gone out with someone if we didn’t have SOME connection, but that doesn’t mean it’s enough or even that they’re representing themselves honestly.

Lastly, Mara, I’m a dog person and can’t imagine being the cat lady, haha….My dog fills the need for unconditional love, but that’s about it! I don’t think I’m old enough yet to completely give up on having a sex life (God I hope that never happens), and I’m not paying for it nor picking up strangers, so until that day comes, I’ll keep trying, take the occasional beating from it, and hopefully get back up stronger and keep going!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

My pet theory is that some of the worst in society have evolved some charm, it keeps them alive and free to procreate. Someday maybe a scientific study will prove me right. Meanwhile, I do watch my back around any man too charming for my own good. :laugh:
    You don't need a scientific study to prove it,simply watch and listen to how many women react to the emotional aspects (romance) and the arbitrary things that make them gush to the point of ignoring character flaws that are obvious.

The whole concept of a pick up artist I find deeply offensive because it seems to be a predator,dishonestly taking advantage of that.
    He sucks but ladies would do themselves well to recognize their emotions and protect themselves for falling for the charades.
  • pa_jorg
    Options

I agree with Mellie. Thinking like this is not only a game, but an easy way to justify being alone in the long run...you didn't land the super hot or rich one, but you refuse to "settle" for anything less. In reality, finding someone who is your equal and that you love is the OPPOSITE of settling!
  • pa_jorg
    Options

Thank you for saying this, Anna. I had a rough weekend for some unknown reason but once my rational self returned, I realized I was sabotaging myself. I emailed NO ONE over the weekend on either POF or OKC… you know why? I didn’t want to settle for those I thought I could get a response from yet convinced myself the others wouldn’t respond so why bother. SO I DID NOTHING! Ridiculous and I see that now… I’m not going after the guys I want either, so why should I be surprised at the outcome.

I also really loved Flam’s point about the header of this post. It makes more sense to me now that you do attract who you are (and LESS) because I wouldn’t have even gone out with someone if we didn’t have SOME connection, but that doesn’t mean it’s enough or even that they’re representing themselves honestly.

Lastly, Mara, I’m a dog person and can’t imagine being the cat lady, haha….My dog fills the need for unconditional love, but that’s about it! I don’t think I’m old enough yet to completely give up on having a sex life (God I hope that never happens), and I’m not paying for it nor picking up strangers, so until that day comes, I’ll keep trying, take the occasional beating from it, and hopefully get back up stronger and keep going!

NC, Anna is right. Go after what you deserve!

But the bigger concern for me is how the dating scene seems to rule your self-worth. You've been on and off the dating sites and every interaction with a new person seems to overwhelm or cause you to over-analyze. I'm concerned that this isn't healthy. Of course we all go through ups and downs with the process, but I hope you can find your self-esteem through other parts of your life instead and know that you are a great catch and worthy of finding a wonderful partner. :flowerforyou:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    Options
    I get what you’re saying, PJ, but really what you’re seeing is a symptom of not having any experience. I really am about the equivalent of a 15 year old at this, so I’m running the gamut of reactions each time I stick a toe in the water. I’m OK with that; it’s a natural reaction that is part of learning. It sucks to go through it at 36 when it seems abnormal to react this way.

Outside of dating, you won’t find a more confident person truthfully. My friends get intimidated by my strength to the point where some of them seem to be a little relieved that there is a ***** in my armor, haha. But I think being pretty damn successful at most other areas in my life makes me focus and question this one area that I seem to suck at. But, I also recognize I hid from the experiences for years and am playing some catch up so I’m OK with going through this knowing I’ll come out stronger in the end.