new to strength training, have some questions

Options
jebreject
jebreject Posts: 46 Member
I'm fairly new to resistance training, and the trainer at my gym has me doing a circuit of weight machines two times a week. I'm pretty consistently moving up in weight, which should mean that I'm building muscle mass, though I'm more interested in losing fat and getting fit than bulking up. Most of what I've read has said that resistance training is an important part of that as well. I've also read (quite a bit here on the forums) that machines are NOT the way to go, and free weights are. Would anyone be able to explain just why? If I'm being completely honest, I'm pretty anxious about hitting the free weight area, which seems to be mostly populated by intense bodybuilder looking dudes. Can I get what I need out of the machines, or do I really need to just get over myself and start doing free weights?

Other information that might be important: I'm doing fairly intense cardio 4x a week as well, mostly the elliptical. On days where I'm doing resistance training, I always do the cardio after, as I've read that that is the best way to ensure that you're burning fat. (I've also heard that maybe I shouldn't be doing such intense cardio, so any information on that would be good as well.)

I weight 255 pounds and 6'6", and I'd like to get down to about 220, which puts me in a much more acceptable body fat percentage.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm a machine convert so I'll give you my take.

In general, machines are very good at working muscles in isolation. This can be good if you are doing physical therapy and need to strengthen specific muscles. This is generally not good for every day life though.

With free weights, you are working more muscles together, especially your core. Many injuries come as a result of having a weak core so strengthening your core is important. Also, machines are more injury prone because they tend to have you move on a fixed plane.

If you want overall strength and fitness, I think free weights are the way to go. I would suggest getting a couple sessions with a personal trainer to learn more about free weights, form and get a program together. There are also books that might be helpful like The New Rules of Lifting Weights, Starting Strength, Body for Life, You are your own gym, etc.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Some machines have their place, but free weight movements are held in higher regard because your body moves in a more natural way than it would on a machine. In addition, the stabilizing muscles are then able to be strengthened. They are not on machines because the load is already stabilized by the machine itself.

I don't see a problem doing high intensity cardio and strength training. Just don't do it before strength training because you need to have composure and energy to maintain good form.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Some machines have their place, but free weight movements are held in higher regard because your body moves in a more natural way than it would on a machine. In addition, the stabilizing muscles are then able to be strengthened. They are not on machines because the load is already stabilized by the machine itself.

I don't see a problem doing high intensity cardio and strength training. Just don't do it before strength training because you need to have composure and energy to maintain good form.

Agree with this.

Re the cardio, mix it up. It doesn't all have to be high intensity if you are just after some cals burnt. Lower intensity has less impact on recovery.

Also, upping the weights on machines means you have strength increase not muscle increase. Strength increases can be from simply getting better at it or increase in muscle size.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

Agree with this.

Re the cardio, mix it up. It doesn't all have to be high intensity if you are just after some cals burnt. Lower intensity has less impact on recovery.

Also, upping the weights on machines means you have strength increase not muscle increase. Strength increases can be from simply getting better at it or increase in muscle size.

Iirc strength increase is from the central nervous system becoming better at recruiting neurons to fire together, right?
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and notice that I burn more calories weight training when I do cardio first... actually about twice as many.. So I've been weight training after my spinning classes.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! Much appreciated.