Progress?

Options
BlueJean4114
BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
Kind of disappointing, how few active members are left in THIS group.
How much exercise or activity can your heart currently tolerate?
How much progress have YOU made ??

I am still going slowly, but it's getting easier and easier. I have hope for progress.

Anyone here with valve diseases and arrhythmias?

Replies

• solarchime
    solarchime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a bicuspid aortic valve which will need to be replaced at some point. Had open heart surgery in June of 2010 for an ascending aortic aneurysm. I am on 4 blood pressure meds, trying to lose weight and get rid of some of the medicines. Also have had some spells since my surgery that they are from neurocardiogenic syncope.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    OH YES,

i SO UNDERSTAND about the passing out thingemo69.gif.....................it's a drag.:indifferent:

i get very very dizzy,emo58.gif too, during certain of my arrythmias..............i usually do NOT just faint instantly,
    i usually DO get some symptoms prior to passing out,

besides feeling my heart pounding away in my chest like a horse galloping around at 300mph,
    i feel other signals, one after the other,
    in rapid succession

like feeling dizzy,emo58.gif cold,emo62.gif sometimes sweaty, very very weak, (i've been told i look very pale, almost green :sick: or yellow:ohwell: when this happens)
    and
    seeing tons of green and red circles floating around emo51.gif (which are not real, of course, like large "floaters" in my visual field)
    and
    hearing that dreaded, high-pitched "WHEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in my ears,
    which is last thing before i pass out.

but,
    usually,
    if i sit down,
    and
    hold my breath and bear down, like a "valsalva maneuver" often helps settle my heartrate back down again, (not always, though..)
    so i can avoid passing completely out.emo38.gif

plus, i kinda know which things bring on the arrythmia that makes me pass out......usually........usually.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    but i hope you are successful at getting off your BP meds, i can understand that urge in you, very much.:flowerforyou:
    Weirdly,
    i have very low BP,
    often about 90/50 at rest
    to about 120/70 if i am moving about...that's "high" for me.

but, maybe if anyone checked my bp while i was really super super active (which i am NOT, ha ha)
    maybe my BP would be clocked at much higher level.....

it's my PULSE :brokenheart: that is allllllllllll messed up,
    just completely all messed up.........:ohwell:
  • solarchime
    solarchime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am so remiss at responding to you. I seriously am not on this site very often except to log my food and exercise. I've been doing CURVES which helps with my BP and am slooooowly losing weight. I wish there was a quick fix. LOL I am going to go to Cleveland Clinic in Ohio next month for a second opinion on my health issues. I feel I am currently on way tooooo much medication. It slows my heart rate but also my ambition. I go Monday to U of M hospital where I had my open heart surgery in 2010 for a CT scan and annual check up with the surgeon. I will discuss it with him also. How's your weight loss going for you? I wish I could exchange one of these BP pills for a diet pill that had no side effects and was actually healthy for you and made you lose weight! Ha ha ha J/K
  • AmbreJade
    AmbreJade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not sure how active this group is but I will reply anyway :)

In November I had my mitral valve replaced after being diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease (a week prior). There were some complication afterwards, blood clots and infections. And for awhile I took on the role of the "sick person" (I was living in congestive heart failure for so long before being diagnosed) but there is not much wrong with me anymore so I need to snap out of it.

I am on very few meds, just one actually, for water retention. As you all probably know, these are brutal on the blood pressure, causing crazy dizzy spells. I get vertigo because of my heart and the meds so it is like 2 for 1 fun :P

According to my cardiologist, I can work out however I would like no limitations, My gp disagrees and think I should go more slowly so I am tap dancing between the two. My heart gets very mad at me if I work out for too long or too hard. The pounding is insane! I have a fair amount of weight to lose to reduce the strain on my heart and am really looking forward to this experience and I was very happy to see this, group, is it a group, I have no idea!

I am happy to see that there are people with similar heart concerns.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    AmbreJade,

If you're interested, there are current blogs on "Heart Happenings" and "Cardiac Support Buddies".
  • AmbreJade
    AmbreJade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Paula! I just joined them!