What kind of bike do you recommend?

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah. I am new to the group and to the cycling world (although I rode my bike plenty growing up). I have a Mongoose right now and I am wanting to trade that in and purchase a "real bike" as I like to call it. I just feel so confused and was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction. I live in Arizona so I was thinking that perhaps a hybrid bike would be best for me but I am open to a road bike or mountain bike. I have seen some nice Giant and Specialized brand bikes that I am interested in. I just don't know what to look for. What suggestions would you have for a bike? I would like to spend about $600. It will be a commuter bike and one just for fun. I would like to join a few groups and do group rides soon. I am just really afraid of going to a seller and spending too much on something I will end up disliking.

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    If you want an inexpensive hybrid, take a look at the Trek 7.2 fx. It's more of a "road bike with a comfortable riding position" than something you would want to use off road.

I bought mine last year for less than $600. Since mine didn't fall apart riding northern IL roads, odds are you will be just fine in Arizona. :happy:
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    I would suggest finding a good shop (not a big box retailer) and go talk to the folks there. They can help find you the right bike for what you want to do and, more importantly, make sure you get the right size. Getting the correct fit is important.

Plus, a local shop is a great place to find out about group rides, good routes to follow, etc.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    It's best to talk to the folks at the local bike shops - they can help steer you towards a bike model that suits your riding needs. Usually different shops carry different brands, so you may want to visit a few different shops before deciding. Most of the big bike manufacturers will carry bikes in all styles (ex: road, mtb, urban, hybrid and so on) and all the price points (entry-level and upward). $600 will get you a decent entry-level bike in nearly any brand, plus you may be able to find some good end-of-year sales right now. I agree w/RideAYeti - please avoid the big box stores, they just don't carry quality goods.

Having someone "fit" you for a bike is really important. My first bike didn't fit me well (it was too big/tall for me) and it caused me all sorts of problems. If you go for a test ride, try to ride it a little farther than around the parking lot. Don't feel pressured to buy anything without getting a good feel for the bike. Good luck.
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Hi Sarah

I agree to find a good local bike shop (lbs) staffed by people who ride bikes - they will be able to recommend a bike to meet your needs / budget and make sure that it fits and works correctly. And if/when it needs servicing they can sort that out as well. They should be building up a long term relationship with you and not just shifting boxes (oops, mini rant there). But be honest with what you want it for - I've seen people buy mountain bikes with knobbly tyres because they say they'll be riding a lot off road. In fact they ride smooth paths and could have got bike more suited to that. So what type of group rides? Terrain, distance, speed ?

Depending on the shop and how much you spend they may well change parts for you at no cost - e.g. stem / bars / tyres / saddle / grips so that it fits. Any of the large brands should be OK - Trek, Specialized, Giant etc. but don't discount some of the smaller ones.

Re road bikes - some of these when you're on the drops (bottom of the bars) are too extreme for me and put pressure on the back of my neck as I have to lift my head. Again, fit and a test ride are important.

But the bottom line is ... it's your money, if you're not happy with the retailer then walk away and don't spend it. Come back here and ask more questions !!!!
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    When I got my last bike- the small shop I went to went to what I thought at the time was extreme in fitting me on the right bike. Now 5yrs later I'm still in love with it. So make sure (as others have advised) to take the time to shop around as it will pay off in the long run. (I'm currently shopping for a touring bike and refuse to rush the purchase)
  • firedenswife2012
    firedenswife2012 Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. I will certainly be looking into my LBS. In fact I have two in mind. I was in a bit more of a rush to get my first "real bike" due to being so excited. With your direction and my constant learning I have chosen to slow down and give it a month to try out bikes and just see what I really like. Thank you all for your advise and kindness once again.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    As someone who recently bought a bike I recommend test riding as many as you can, maybe even renting a few. I really like the bike I got, but after a few rides there's some things I would have done differently. I'm already planning on a second bike in the spring :)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    I'm with theKarens. I just recently purchased a new bike as well. I love the bike, but I made sure to ride a few around first. Only went to local bike shops. Make sure you feel comfortable on the bike. One of the bikes I loved and thought I was going to purchase, ended up not fitting right.

Take your time. :) You want to enjoy riding it.

I'm already looking to purchase a road bike in the Spring sometime. Funny how addicting riding is.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    It took me over a month to settle on the right bike for me. I test rode them for about 10 miles each, including hills, while narrowing down my choices. I had it narrowed down to two, settled on one, and then my LBS threw me a curve. When I went into actually buy the bike I thought I was getting, they had put a different stem on the other bike and made a few other adjustments because they thought it would be a better choice for me once the fit was tweaked. They were right. I test rode both and the bike they had tweaked was perfect. My original choice would have been fine but the bike they tweaked was better. I love that they took the time and effort to do that.

Don't rush it and enjoy your test rides.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    If you want an inexpensive hybrid, take a look at the Trek 7.2 fx. It's more of a "road bike with a comfortable riding position" than something you would want to use off road.

I bought mine last year for less than $600. Since mine didn't fall apart riding northern IL roads, odds are you will be just fine in Arizona. :happy:

Excellent. I have the Trek 7.3 fx and am very pleased with it. Have put 620 miles on it this summer with no problems.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Don't know if you're in the hilly parts or not, but around here the Cannondale Quick (less than $500) is far and away the best selling model of any bicycle type.

For entry level hybrids on the cheap, I also like the DiamondBack Insight, but depending on your size a Clarity (same thing as the Insight, but in "women's" sizes) a 2 or a 3, (less than $400) -- avoid the Insight 1 / Clarity 1

If you want a roadbike You could grab a Raleigh Capri 1 for less than $600.

Next up from there would be something like a Bianchi Via Nirone Dama 7 ($700-$900)

And then next up from there Cannondale Synapse ($800-$1400) -- if and WHEN you get serious, keep the Synapse in mind.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    It purely depends on the type of surface you are riding on; if you ride on the road, then I would suggest getting a 'road bike' over and above anything else (i.e. skinny 23mm tyres and drop 'road racing' handlebars etc.)

If you don't fancy the drop handlebars, then a hybrid at the very least (i.e. skinny tyres like a road bike, but 'flat' handlebars).

If you intend getting out on the trails, then you'll obviously need a Cyclocross bike or a Mountain Bike (depending on the severity of the terrain), if you go for a mountain bike, then make sure you can 'lock-out' the suspension so you can ride it on the road (if needs must)!

As far as brand, that is were personal preference kick in; some brands are more expensive for the same thing, than other brands. Your Local Bike Shop (LBS) should be able to help you out here. My advice would be 'don't be a brand snob' and look at everything on the market; there are some very good bikes out there by some of the smaller manufacturers that sometimes get overlooked. These will give you much better value for your money!

What ever you do, don't buy a Bike Shaped Object (BSO) from a Wallmart type establishment, as these bikes aren't worth the sum of their parts!

Best of luck in choosing something nice - don't forget to show us the pictures when you get it home :wink:
  • Sarah,

A road bike is a great eventual addition, but I'd suggest starting with a Hybrid or Trail Bike. You'll have greater flexibility than a Road Bike and much lighter weight than a Mountain Bike. I started on a Trek a few years ago and have added a Giant Road Bike and still ride both often.

A GOOD local bike shop blows the doors off any box store. Also, these folks that are suggesting that you get a fitting before buying are spot on. A well-fit bike can be a great and empowering tool for many aspects of a healthy life. A poor-fitting bike can contribute to pain and discomfort in your arms, legs, and back, in addition to promoting terrible posture that can leads to the same even while out-of-the-saddle. The bike shop will guide you in your decision and the ultimate bike's configuration so your have more fun, be more likely to WANT to ride and get healthier, faster, in the process.