Do you think I should take out insurance?

Options
salsa81
salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
A little bit of an odd one.

I've had Shy on loan for just over a year now and up until now I've not had any riders insurance.

Her owner pays Shy's insurance so I don't have to worry about that and she does have public liability BUT I'm wondering if I should have some as well for me as a rider.....

....what's the general feeling?

Replies

• ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Difficult as mine is all wrapped up with my horse insurance. Look at NFU policies I have found they are easiest to deal with over the years - not sure what mine include but you need to ask yourself what it would add that you dont have already through house or health / life policies - just what scenario wouldnt be covered by the horse policy? Im not sure you need it if the horse is covered...For eg I discovered the other day that 3rd party liability for any horses are on my house insurance anyway so I only need to insure those which are ridden out for vets fees etc
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ive never even heard of horse/rider insurance...is that a british thing? or am i just totally out of the loop? also i wish loans/leases were more available in the states...people just don't really do it here.
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    We insure our horses so if anything happens we can afford to treat them. I had a cob which would have had to be put down if I hadn't had insurance - he needed an operation which cost nearly £5,000 with the after treatment etc. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise - I don't know what its like over there but here vetinary treatment is very expensive. You could also be sued if your horse got loose and caused an accident or whatever so public liability is useful too. I also have loss of use and death as well which pays out if the horse can no longer be ridden or dies (not a nice thought but still...). Problem is once it has had a problem they then exclude that from the following years premium so one of mine isnt insuresd as there are too many exclusions to make it worthwhile...
    RG x
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HI RG,

I think you answered my question as I was thinking what it would add.

The only thing I can think of is stuff like personal injury and claiming for wages if I ever have an accident. For the moment though, I think I'll keep things as they are as I know Shy's covered, which is more important in my opinion.
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    I dont think mine covers me for personal injury & wages - I think youd have to get some sort of health or critical illness / accident cover for that... x
  • brooklynsprings
    Options
    We recently took out a million dollar policy. They are very cheap thank goodness incase some gets hurt at our place. But alot of people I know have AFLAC which is a policy that pays you if you are out of work per day. Great policy!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've joined the British Horse Society as a Gold Member - for around a tenner a month, you get public liability and rider accident insurance, and the money goes to a charity...
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ive never even heard of horse/rider insurance...is that a british thing? or am i just totally out of the loop? also i wish loans/leases were more available in the states...people just don't really do it here.

I have to admit I've never heard of horse/rider insurance, either. My horse is insured thankfully, in case she needs medical care

Where in the US do you live? I live in southeastern Virginia and horse leasing is very, very common here. :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Where do you live?

I have never gotten insurance but I should look into it. My last horse got double barreled kicked in hind legs, broke bones, all very deep. Spent 4 days at New Bolton Hospital at $1000 per day, vet bills before and after. PHEW. I rehabbed him and he came sound. all in all about 6K and 6 months!

knock on wood, Sun has been a dream!

what USA insurances do folks use.

Leasing in DE and Pa is easy too. We have half (pay half board) full lease in-barn (horse stays where he is), and free lease. If you can find a local horse tabloid, we have Horse of DE Valley and Equine Classifieds, or even local Craig's list, you might find something. with unemployment owners could use board help. just don't get stuck with someone else's problems!