Week 6 - 9/3-9/9

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to week 6 of the Couch to 5K! Look how far you've come - after you complete this week, you'll be done with 2/3 of the program and will have no more intervals to run. Next week and beyond you can look forward to nothing but long runs! (Well, well, what have we here? -stares at you- Looks like we've got a runner on our hands!)

I'll keep the pep talk short this week; the spectre in the closet has been defeated and we've completed W5D3 - you already know you're a super star, so let's talk about what we are going to accomplish this week instead.

Week 6 marks the last week of interval training, meaning alternating periods of walking and running. Like last week, the work out is different every day this week and we'll end on a long run.

This week, the workouts are:

Workout 1: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

Workout 2: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)

Workout 3: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 22 minutes) with no walking.

The end is in sight! Please use this thread to check in - tell us how you're doing, cheer each other on. We're really getting towards the end!

Replies

• MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    I completed Week 6 Day 2 today. Felt good. I think after the steady run on W5D3, the intervals are harder. Day 3 is run for 25 minutes I think. I have that planned for Wednesday.

I'm pretty proud of myself for doing so well. :)

I think we should all be proud of ourselves for doing this! Go us! :)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Just did my W6D1 and I have to ask - when did 5s start seeming easy?? The 8 was a little challenging but man, the first 5 I was just like...that's it?! How far I've come - W1D1 I was struggling at the end of the 1m intervals! How crazy is that. And tonight it was 80 degrees out so it was hot, too!

I'm thinking of registering for a 5K for next week although I hadn't planned on doing one until 9/23...I feel like I can handle it! :)
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I'm starting week 5 this week, perpetually a week behind. Just finished up the w4d3 today. 5 minute runs have been really hard. I'm freaking out about the idea of 8 minute runs, much less a 20 minute run by the end of the week.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I'm starting week 5 this week, perpetually a week behind. Just finished up the w4d3 today. 5 minute runs have been really hard. I'm freaking out about the idea of 8 minute runs, much less a 20 minute run by the end of the week.

Don't! You'll surprise yourself, I promise. ...you might be sore afterwards. But you'll surprise yourself.
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Completed W6 D1 today. Felt good and went a little faster than last session. Knowing that there is a walk break helps me push through. Hooray! I can't believe I've gotten this far :)

ps shhhh but i think i like it too!
  • MGMum
    Options
    W6D3, done! Man, I wanted to walk a few times but just kept powering through. I used an app today to calculate pace, but I started it too soon, on my warm up walk. It worked out to about 10.4 minutes per mile. Might have been a bit faster but the walking was included in that. I don't care. I did it, and I was hot and sweaty and felt good afterwards.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I tried to do D2 this morning and botched it. My daughter had her first day of school ever today and my head wasn't in the game - I got through the first 10 minute interval but 3 minutes into the second I was just like, done. I think I went too fast and burned out; it was just a super emotional day and I probably should have given myself the day off. I'll try D2 again on Fri or Sat, give myself a couple days to recover emotionally and physically. My husband and I ended up walking around for 90 minutes so I still got some exercise in - just not the run I was hoping for. I'm sure it didn't help that I didn't eat enough yesterday either. Again..emotional.
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried to do D2 this morning and botched it. My daughter had her first day of school ever today and my head wasn't in the game - I got through the first 10 minute interval but 3 minutes into the second I was just like, done. I think I went too fast and burned out; it was just a super emotional day and I probably should have given myself the day off. I'll try D2 again on Fri or Sat, give myself a couple days to recover emotionally and physically. My husband and I ended up walking around for 90 minutes so I still got some exercise in - just not the run I was hoping for. I'm sure it didn't help that I didn't eat enough yesterday either. Again..emotional.

That is an emotional time! I ran my 8 min intervals last night and was shocked how easy it was. Tomorrow is the big 20 minute run.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I meant to do W6 D2 redux today, but I got to the 10 minute mark and was like...wait I feel fine. So kept doing and ended up jogging for 22 1/2 minutes today, so am just calling that my D3 since D3 is supposed to be 22 minutes. -waves goodbye to intervals-

I feel fine. I slowed down today, almost a 13 minute mile, but I'll pick it back up as I go.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I am struggling this week with schedule problems. Baby up and down all night, traveling for work, traveling again this weekend, gah! I'm going to be two weeks behind next week because I"m going to have to repeat week 5.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Life happens! D: Sorry about the baby's sleep patterns, that's rough :(

I went ahead and leapt into week 7 today - I did it differently because I have a 5K this Thursday, which will be my W7 D3. I wanted to make sure I could do the whole distance, so I ran for 41:30 today - 25 minutes straight to satisfy the C25K workout, walked 5, ran 8 1/2, walked 1 1/2, ran the last 1 1/2 (a sprint to my house). Pretty happy to clock a 13:44min/mi pace and do the entire distance today - today, I ran a 5K!!

I'm so nervous and excited for my 5K Thursday afternoon - as long as I finish under 45 I will be a happy, happy girl. And make my husband take me out to dinner. He's running with me - it sounds fair, right?
  • MGMum
    Options
    Awesome job!! You'll do fantastic on Thursday!

I did W7D1 as well. First time running in four days due to 12 hour shifts and feeling a bit crummy. I did quite well, though I had trouble with my podcast working at the same time as RunKeeper. I wanted to see my pace etc. So I put the music on shuffle and after a Fleetwood Mac song, on came Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, so that seemed like half my run!! I might have to make my own playlist because Simon & Garfunkel Silent Night came on, which was not exactly running material. LOL

I felt great, like I could have run longer, so that is a powerful feeling. :)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Awesome job!! You'll do fantastic on Thursday!

I did W7D1 as well. First time running in four days due to 12 hour shifts and feeling a bit crummy. I did quite well, though I had trouble with my podcast working at the same time as RunKeeper. I wanted to see my pace etc. So I put the music on shuffle and after a Fleetwood Mac song, on came Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, so that seemed like half my run!! I might have to make my own playlist because Simon & Garfunkel Silent Night came on, which was not exactly running material. LOL

I felt great, like I could have run longer, so that is a powerful feeling. :)

It really is. I'm feeling utterly fantastic after my runs :) I discovered jog.fm yesterday - it helped me put together a playlist to target the min/mi pace I wanted. It was an eclectic mix but I felt good :)
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 6 yesterday. Felt good. Still not sure what my pace is but to be honest I don't care that much. I just keep saying in my mind, "doesn't matter how fast only matter that I finish the run without stopping." I might have to go out and buy some actually running shoes today. I wear the same sneakers I run in everyday to work so I think having a pair dedicated just for running will be good. On to week 7!