burpees

Options
Vmg773
Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
Ah, I hate them. I feel uncoordinated, not strong, and I can't even do 4 well. Any suggestions (stick with it is really not what i'm looking for).

Replies

• Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I hate them, too!! I've been Crossfitting for months and I don't seem to get any better at burpees. I'm trying the 100 Day Burpee Challenge, because I think the only way to get better is practice. I know that isn't an answer you were looking for, but I'd love some advice too. I'll be watching the thread.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, I think that practice, i.e., doing lots of burpees, would be most helpful.

But maybe breaking down the movements and working on them separately would help too? So practicing squats, planks and push ups. Or perhaps work on an easier version, perhaps eliminate the push up part.

Also don't feel like you have to do them really fast. Focus on your form and take your time.

If it's any comfort, I don't think there are that many people who really like burpees. I don't.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Don't hold your breath. Seriously, that is my advice. :-)

I've been crossfitting for almost 6 months now and we just the other day realized that I feel like I'm going to pass out and die doing burpees because I don't breathe. So I do like 3-5 holding my breath and stop gasping for air. That doesn't work so well!!
  • pandapwned
    Options
    The other day one of the trainers told me I jump with my feet too close together and it helps to open up your hips. I started jumping my feet more into a squat stance, slightly outside where my hands are on the ground (and all the way up to my hands/under my shoulders) and it really helped. It puts you into a much easier position to jump from and uses your quads instead of who knows what smaller muscles, haha. I hope that description makes sense... basically, keep your feet wider!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Burpees!!!! Burpees!!! Zombies hate Burpees and therefore burpees could save your life!!!

Seriously, you might want to learn how to fall in love with Burpees. I do 50 Burpees with high jumps before I do the WODs. Burpee, I l love you!!!
  • Jindra12
    Options
    Laughs...

Burpees!? Did someone said burpee!? Burpeees!!!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    what panda says... and try to avoid "traveling" . I chalk up my hands to leave myself a target on the mat.
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    O... Xfitmojo is right on the money! I NEED to try that !! I always travel. And I'll start widening my stance :)

This is a really good post :)

I love burpees, only bc i don't want to hate anything I do at CF :P
  • Jguard18
    Options
    I was running a bit late to CrossFit and burpees was my punishment
  • Jindra12
    Options
    BURRRRRRPPEEEEEEESSSSS!!!! I LOVE IT!!!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Do a couple of Burpee Deadlifts (or do a few in a weighted vest) and THEN do some regular Burpees. Lather, rinse, repeat daily until you can do more. :wink:
  • Jindra12
    Options
    Do a couple of Burpee Deadlifts (or do a few in a weighted vest) and THEN do some regular Burpees. Lather, rinse, repeat daily until you can do more. :wink:

That ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdZFGjRrdo
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is good advice. I'm avoiding doing them but someone mentioned the 100 day burpee challenge so perhaps i should join.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

No, it works better is you have DumbBells or KettleBells. Set them on both sides of you, drop down and do your push up, when you bring your legs in (as you ride) to jump up, grab the weights and then jump (if they are light enough) or stand into a deadlift. Adding the extra weight will help you feel much lighter when you do them without ;)
  • Jindra12
    Options

No, it works better is you have DumbBells or KettleBells. Set them on both sides of you, drop down and do your push up, when you bring your legs in (as you ride) to jump up, grab the weights and then jump (if they are light enough) or stand into a deadlift. Adding the extra weight will help you feel much lighter when you do them without ;)

Gotcha that is what I thought at first time when you said it. I just wanted to make sure if I was on the same page with you. Anyway, I'll do that!! :) I'll try to pull the bells over my head then and jump high as I could. ;)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    jumping deadlifts?!?!?! :huh:
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As a very lazy, late middle aged burpee'er who smoked for 30 years, I feel qualified to answer this.

I used to hate them, and in truth, it wasn't until I had to do 7 minutes of them for the Crossfit open, that I learned I had more in me than I thought.

Here's what helps me.

1. Don't waste energy going from standing to prone, it's just falling down right? Land on your chest, don't go from plank to prone.

2. You're lying on the floor now, tense your *kitten* and back, the idea is you're a spring, push with the arms and use your stiffness to flip your hips and feet under you. (This is not the same as doing a push up, you're curving your back a bit here, more like Cobra position in yoga, but you're tensed up, and your springiness helps you get to your feet.)

3. Drive up, clap, fall down. Back to 2.

Be patient, you're already doing all the movements you need for this, i.e. squats, plank, push ups etc. Gradually it'll all come together, and you'll surprise yourself as you move up the whiteboard.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    jumping deadlifts?!?!?! :huh:

Sorry, I was tired when I said that... I didn't say it right before I was explained it. I meant to say EITHER Kettlebell Burpees -OR- Burpee Deadlifts. But my explanation went along with it.
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As a very lazy, late middle aged burpee'er who smoked for 30 years, I feel qualified to answer this.

I used to hate them, and in truth, it wasn't until I had to do 7 minutes of them for the Crossfit open, that I learned I had more in me than I thought.

Here's what helps me.

1. Don't waste energy going from standing to prone, it's just falling down right? Land on your chest, don't go from plank to prone.

2. You're lying on the floor now, tense your *kitten* and back, the idea is you're a spring, push with the arms and use your stiffness to flip your hips and feet under you. (This is not the same as doing a push up, you're curving your back a bit here, more like Cobra position in yoga, but you're tensed up, and your springiness helps you get to your feet.)

3. Drive up, clap, fall down. Back to 2.

Be patient, you're already doing all the movements you need for this, i.e. squats, plank, push ups etc. Gradually it'll all come together, and you'll surprise yourself as you move up the whiteboard.

I've tried doing this, but I am not coordinated enough to catch myself at all. Boobs hitting the floor at a high speed sucks, especially when all your body weight lands on em!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    haha. this thread made me laugh.

this guy is so insane and funny looking... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjVsgcRrTk

I LOVE burpees. I hate box jumps. Burpees will gladly do.