Torn ACL: Before surgery exercise?

Options
Hey all! I tore my ACL working with a horse two weeks ago and I have surgery next Wednesday. I had been swimming, doing pilates, and jogging. Do any of you know some good exercises that would not hurt my knee anymore before surgery?

I would go swimming but all I have to swim in is a pond and it is slippery to get to so that is kind of a risk.

I was thinking about walking, but what about strength training at all?

Suggestions please! :happy:

Replies

• Rockwoodcommalindsey
    Options
    HEY HEY! I just has ACL reconstruction in November. I was lucky enough to be able to visit a psychial therapist weeks before surgery. She focused mainly on getting my quads strong. Squats. Leg lifts(on your side, and on your back). Etc. That is the HARDEST part after the surgery, and it will be what your PT'st will focus on also when you start going after your surgery.
    Swimming was another one that was highly recommended to me from my dr as well as my PT'st. Unfortunatly, I had no access to a pool.

Walking/running can be very tricky, and often painful. Be so careful :(

I am NO doctor. I am simply sharing the experience that I went thru. I wish you the best! The surgery itself is easy to get thru. Stay strong and FOCUS on your recovery. Best wishes!

Lindsey
  • Rockwoodcommalindsey
    Options
    Im a horsebck rider also... haha I dont know how I missed tha when I first read it!
    I rode bareback before and shortly AFTER surgery.... (highly un-reccomended from the dr howeveer..) But! On my 90 day followup, I was "prescribed" to get onto a safe horse, jack up my stirrups and do as many gynamstics as I could handle. haha the half seat in short stirrups is PHENOM for your quads.
    :)
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    stay strong in the joint is my advice after 2 botched operations and 2 reparative operations. The strong the muscles around the joint and the fitter you are the better you'll be.