I'm new and want advice

Options
Has anyone done stroglifts with just dumbells? I'm trying to avoid going to a gym just because of costs and I don't have the room at home to buy all the equipment I need. I can afford to buy a barbell. And I'm open to suggestions. I'm really excited and my goal it to be leaner and stronger. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done stroglifts with just dumbells? I'm trying to avoid going to a gym just because of costs and I don't have the room at home to buy all the equipment I need. I can afford to buy a barbell. And I'm open to suggestions. I'm really excited and my goal it to be leaner and stronger. Thanks in advance!

you won't really be able to - I mean, you could kind of do a modification but in my opinion if you only have dumbbells then you'd probably be be better off with a program that's actually meant to be done with dumbbells. You can google a few online - it seems like Chalean xtreme is also well liked and that's a totally at home minimal equipment program.

It won't work forever, most of the people I know who have done it moved on to something with barbell complexes after a round or two, but its a good entry way if you don't want to start up at a gym yet.

If you really want to do this at home, a barbell and power rack don't take up *that* much space - unless you're tall, and then the overhead presses may be an issue. I do know there are people who fit this amount of equipment in their homes easily enough.
  • djohnson_143
    djohnson_143 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tameko! I'm thinking of just going for it and trying to find the most afordable gym I can find. I've read so many say that this stronglifts workout works so well. So I'm going to give it a go. Thanks!
  • djohnson_143
    djohnson_143 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have any good sources for a power rack and barbell?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have any good sources for a power rack and barbell?

Check out Craigslist to start. People get rid of exercise equipment all the time. Just make sure to do your research (people think their stuff is worth more than it really is).