Alternative terrains

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
I usually run on soft grass at my kids' school but wondered what else is doable in really atrocious weather. I had thought a treadmill barefoot would be too jarring on joints, and am guessing running on spot is not really where its at, so wondered what others do when the weather isnt cooperating! I do run in light rain, but we have the really heavy stuff for the coming week. I can do lots of other cardio stuff for the fitness, but dont want to lose progress with strength etc especially as I am trying to stay ahead of injuries (currently peroneal tendonitis)

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My school has an indoor track. I don't find running on the treadmill too bad but for the boredom
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Once it got a bit colder here, I started regularly running on the treadmill in my socks, and it was absolutely fine. Now I have Vibrams for running on the treadmill, and of course that works too. I much prefer to be barefoot, so I took them off for most of my last treadmill run... I guess I've been doing too much in shoes lately, because my soles were quite tender afterward. A cross between a rug burn and a beginning blister, same spot, on the balls of both feet. They just weren't ready for 2+ miles of that and it hurt for a couple days! I just didn't anticipate how unconditioned my soles were at this point, so I'll need to build back up to that. Other than that, it's fine. Just boring!

I started my barefoot running on a track surface, and loved it - highly recommend. I eventually did some running on the sidewalk, and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier that was than I anticipated. However, we live in New England, and even with the mild winter, the ground outside is too cold to run on (even in my Vibrams, although I guess some have managed to get socks on in them??) so I'm stuck with the treadmill. I don't love it but it's better than nothing.

Depending on how big your home is, you could map out a route for some jogging around - my home is too small for that but I have a friend whose house is well set up for that sort of thing. It might be worth a try!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    So I run in KSOs and NB Minimus shoes and I have discovered one interesting tid bit. Sharp rocks still hurt because there is no cushioning. Any tips?
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @ GDunn - Don't step on rocks :) I also have VFFs, the NB minimus, and merrel trail gloves, i love the NB minimus out of all of them, but barefoot is still way better than any shoes. Haven't had any issues with rocks yet, i guess i'm pretty good and dodging them :)

I've only barefoot run on pavement (in the road preferably since the sidewalks seem to have more debris). I'm afraid to run on grass (or sand) because of the possibilty of hidden threats like needles, bottle caps, glass etc, has anyone had any problems? or am i being overly paranoid?

thanks!!
  • ostrich_tamer11
    Options
    to Lindsyrox-- sports fields are usually well maintained so you can run on more natural surfaces sans broken glass and litter, and same goes for parks, nature trails, etc. DO you live anywhere near a campus or recreation center? those would have tracks and nice sports fields that you can use.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just got a shiny new pair of Spyridons and test run them on pavement, road, gravel and sand. Was great on all those surfaces. Amazed how the rocks didn't hurt on the gravel.
    Love them!