Average speed, any good?

Options
capnrus789
capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
I just completed a 32 mile trip this weekend, took 2hrs, 32 mins, and averaged 12.7mph on my Trek 3900 MTB (mountain bike, no upgrades). I know it's all about etting out there, having fun, and ejoying the ride. But I'm curious as to what my fitness level is. I have nothing to compare it to, so I have no idea. Is this a good time? A good average pace? The trail is all paved, very few hills, and not too many traffic light to stop and wait for.

Thanks folks!

Replies

• andrewlazenby
    Options
    That is a fine average speed. However you have to realize that avg speed is a crummy metric to use to compare one rider to another. We ride differ routes, different bikes, different experience etc. that said, that is a fine speed for a 32 mile trip.

Ride that same route in a month and see what your time is then....
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    That is a fine average speed. However you have to realize that avg speed is a crummy metric to use to compare one rider to another. We ride differ routes, different bikes, different experience etc. that said, that is a fine speed for a 32 mile trip.

Ride that same route in a month and see what your time is then....

^^ This hits the nail on the head! ^^
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Average speed is a great way to assess your own progression. Don't get too hung up on it, though. It's a tool, but like the bathroom scale you shouldn't use it every day!
  • youngzone
    youngzone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's good and the best part is that your are doing something. I keep records of my rides and it builds up a nice picture of progress thru time. You will get better, even if at times it doesn't feel like it. Keep on keeping on!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Average speed is a decent measuring tool under controlled conditions, but conditions are rarely controlled.

Changes in temperature, humidity levels, wind speed, wind direction, number of stops (red lights, stop signs, children running out in front of you) all have an effect on your average speed, especially over any course more than 10 or 15 minutes long.

That's not to say you shouldn't track it. Just don't track it down to the second and expect improvement every time.
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    sounds great! my average has been just above 9mph bc i get tired on my ride back to home :S my goal is to get above 10mph at average. keep up the great work!
  • boosht
    boosht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i do both off road and on road cycling in group rides / club runs.

in terms of road cycling for touring club our meaures are as below :-
    Lesuirely rides 10mph average
    Moderate rides 12mph average
    Brisk rides 14mph Average
    Brisk Plus ridea 15pmh + average

these are over a mixture of 15 miles up to 100 miles in one club ride usually with one or two stops.

but remember this is road cycling with skinny tyres and road / tourign style bikes, not a mountain bike with potenially knobbly tyres on.

I can ride all of the above speeds on club runs but generally enjoy the most around 12-13mph average over longer distances.

If i ride offroad however a 10mph average is good.

the best advise has already been stated but best thing to do is carry on cycling the same route and measure say once a week how your time is and log it over a period of a few months to see how different the times are.

good luck and hope you enjoy getting out on teh bike.