Boots!

Options
Hey ruggers,

So when I reach my next goal, hopefully at the end of this semester, I am thinking about buying myself a pair of "real" boots. Not that soccer cleats aren't okay, but I'm starting to get pretty serious about rugby, and boots would be a nice non-food way of rewarding myself! I was thinking about purchasing these since I'm in the front row:

http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/22202.html#caption

Has anyone ever used these? What do you think? Any other boot suggestions for a front row player? (Fingers crossed I'll still get to prop even as my weight goes down).
Thanks!

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing deal!
    I paid $50 for mine. I couldn't ever break them in o you may have to get insoles for them.
    They really did make me perform better in scrums being on the front line on muddy pitches. When it was dry, I'd switch to my softball cleats.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    I have, personally, never worn Canterbury cleats, though many of my teammates have. For $30, you can't go wrong...it you don't love them, you haven't invested much money. The friends who have worn these boots, or other Canterbury low cut boots, have complained that they don't last. A number found that the stitching came out after a couple of seasons of hard use. But again...for $30, there's not a lot to lose.

I never liked hard toe boots because I found that once it gets dented in (when someone steps on you), it never pops back out and you have hard pastic pushing against your toes. As a former prop...this happens all the time in the scrum.

I now wear Kooga exclusively. If find these boots to be a better fit for women (or at least my feet) and mine have lasted pretty well.

Well that was quite a bit of rambling! I think that the end result is that $30 is a great deal. Get them. Hopefully you'll love them, but if not, you have something to wear while you search for "the boot".
  • MandaMand
    MandaMand Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never had Canterbury or hard toe, but that does look like a pretty good deal. I got some Gilberts last year and I love them. I was so excited to upgrade from soccer cleats to metal rugby cleats! I got a good deal, I think because they had pink on them and they were men's... haha. I think it does make a big difference in the scrum, especially when it's muddy!
  • squid116
    squid116 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been disappointed with every pair of CCC boots I have owned (2). The don't last, they are uncomfortable. 1 pair of which didn't even last the season. My latest Asics on the other hand are just about dead now after 4 seasons.

However compared to what I pay for my normal boots, at $30 they represent a good value for money proposition.
  • greggsyv
    greggsyv Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    they say in the comments they are of we construction, you can get away with that if they will stay mainly dry but if they are getting wet on a regular basis you need something more sturdy. Kooga or mizuno are good but my favourites were cotton traders but you probably cant get them in the usa ( cotton traders are a company owned by fran cotton ex england prop so he knows what works best). Gregg (prop for too long.....over 20 years in total)
  • Hawksfan1029
    Hawksfan1029 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've only had CCC (Canterbury) boots I have had one pair last for almost a decade now and though my first pair have been retired to practice boots they still work fantastic. Even for kicking penalties, and even playing RIght Wing, Outside Center, Inside Center, Left Wing and Fullback in 15's they still work great for me though in 7's they do tire out my feet pretty quick. Just get a great insole and they should work fantastic for ya.