Tips for Beginning Runners

Options
SGRHO23
SGRHO23 Posts: 145 Member
I am excited about this group. I am glad so many people joined. If any of you are experienced runners please place some helpful tips in this discussion. I will also add some links that I find on the subject.

Replies

• SweetWillie2
    SweetWillie2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to have fun and enjoy running. Try not to do too much too soon and take the chance of an injury. If you have to alternate walking and running for a while, thats OK, the goal is to work up to run the distance you want to achieve. It doesn't have to happen over night. Stay focused and buy a good pair of running shoes and before you know it, you will be running races and placing in your age group, or just run for the enjoyment it brings to your daily life. It helps to join a local running club if possible for fellowship and motivation. Have Fun!!
  • SGRHO23
    Options
    Here is an informative article I found on the subject. I did not think it would let me post the article, so I am posting the link.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-for-Beginning-Runners.htm
    I posted the first three tips.
    1. Get Fitted: Pay a visit to your local independent running store. Often these smaller stores have more knowledgeable staff than the big box retails stores. Many provide gait analysis which reveals your foot strike pattern. Knowing this will determine whether you overpronate, underpronate or have a neutral gait which will help in selecting the best shoe for your foot type. Don’t skimp on your shoes. Be prepared to pay $80 to $100 for a good pair of running shoes.

2. Get Technical: Invest a little in some technical fabric running shorts, tops, and socks. Technical fabric can be made of a variety of fibers including natural (bamboo, smartwool) and synthetic (polyester, nylon, Lyrca) materials. Avoid 100 percent cotton. It tends to retain sweat causing chaffing, irritation, and even blisters. Technical fabrics allow the moisture to rise to the surface where it can evaporate. They still get damp, but not nearly as much as 100 percent cotton.

3. Get a Group: Motivation, inspiration, accountability, and commitment increase dramatically when you’re a part of a running group or at least have a running buddy. Everyone experiences times when they don’t want to run, but if you know you have buddies counting on you, it can make all the difference in the world when it comes to rolling over and getting out of bed. Check with your local running store. Many provide beginning running groups or know of running coaches in the area that work with beginning runners.
  • sugarnspice8
    Options
    For me begining ment taking it slow
    when i first started running it was a struggle
    I ran for 30 seconds and walked for 5 minutes.
    But you have to start somewhere.
    I finally got up to running non-stop for an hour
    i wasnt sprinting but i was making good time and not getting winded

SADLY, I havent ran in 4 months SMH so now I am a beginner again
    But for some starting with a group is good, but i suggest starting with people on the same level its harder starting with more advance people and feeling the "Pressure" of trying to keep up!

Running alone can be good to because you can push yourself, talk to yourself, and figure out what works for you.
    I suggest getting a free APP to assist. I use MayMyRun and NPT Boom. Both track your workouts and even play songs for you and give motivating pep talks in between songs!
  • SGRHO23
    Options
    Couch to 5k has been a great resource for me. RunDouble has an awesome app for the phone.