Hello fellow pain sufferers

Options
ahinescapron
ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
My name is Anna and I was just diagnosed (today) with fibromyalgia. I also have degenerative disc disease in my neck and frequent headaches. I thought I would come say 'hi' and maybe find some fellowship over here, since you all might understand some of the struggles I am having. I am a mom of two sweet kids, 6 years old and almost 2. I am currenlty on a leave of absence from my doctoral program in health education, due to my recent pain issues. If anyone has some good resources for fibromyalgia or chronic pain, I would love to hear about them.

Replies

• foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keeping my carbs at 20-25, and cutting out all sugar, most dairy, all bread/potatoes/rice etc....has taken me from 4 flare ups a week....to 1 flare up every 2-3 weeks. I dont even know how to feel anymore. My migraines have diminshed some, but not hugely. I still have 'phases' where I have those. To be honest....I think sugar might be the culprit.......or it could be gluten, but whatever I've eliminated that works, I'm so thankful for it. It's good enough motivation to stay low carb forever. I'll also add that now, what was a nearly constant pain I worked though daily.......is harder now....cause I've kind of gotten used to not having it 24/7. Eh...
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna! I was just recently diagnosed with Fibro and Rhuematoid...in addition to DDD & DJD in my spine. I am in the same boat you are as far as finding pain relief. My Dr.'s have me on a pain management...I have several meds for pain. Meloxicam, Gabapentin, and Hydrocondone. Taking some Prednisone now for the rheumatoid...and I THINK its starting to help...I feel pretty good today. I have methotrexate for the rheumy too but can't take it yet cuz I am on an antibiotic.
    I also go in in a few weeks for a cortizone injection in my spine. Hoping that alleviates some of the back pain I have been having worse lately.
    I have not really changed my diet....I still eat stuff with gluten in it. I don't feel like I have an intolerance to it so I feel it should be fine. I also won't restrict my carbs...I did a low carb diet once and it just isn't realistic for me.
    I cook all natural anyway so that isn't an issue for me. I just count my calories and try to stay away from the soda, because that is my one vice hahaha! I am trying to get more active and back to my work outs...because I always felt really good after a work out.
    Lately it s just been walking but hey it all helps. But I had days where I couldn't even go for a walk so I understand being in that much pain.
    Still learning here and soaking up information.
  • queueplay
    Options
    One problem with trying to help with fibro is that any given treatment Only helps 60%-70% of the afflicted population. (That's according to my fibro doctor, may his retirement give him the peace I haven't found while looking for another fibro doc. :-) :-\ ) This generally implies that the presented symptoms, while observably the same, most likely have different causes in different people - thus the frustration.

That said, I was put on the guaifenesin program by my doc. I can't tell if it helps the pain, but it does seem to help the muscle fatigue. (The muscles/joints don't hurt, per se, but movement feels like you're dragging yourself through quicksand...) There's some dispute about how it works, never mind if, and some of the aspects of it - the hyperness about salicylic acid, for one - seem a little over the top. Still, if it's helping me it might help others.

For pain management, I really haven't found much better than what I went on the first day it hit - tramadol, brand name ultram. I take ... I can't remember the pill dosage, but what works for me is taking it all the time - as in, a pill every 8 hours. I believe this to give me the most medicine level in my body, most consistently, with the least actual chemical and the least ebb and flow of pain. I learned the lesson about not taking it the night I went out to a friend's and didn't have my backup med bottle. :-( There are days when I don't feel it, and will forget a dose... but if I forget two in a row it's very sad. My husband can usually tell by my mannerisms if I've forgotten a dose even before I realize I'm starting to hurt again. :-)

I also have percocet for the really bad days, and trans dermal patches of pain reliever and anti-inflammatory, for when I can localize it enough to boost extra help that way. I wish there was transdermal muscle relaxant, as one of my primary problems and pain sources are chronically spasmed muscles.

OK I'll stop about myself. tl;dr : finding a lower dose of pain med AND remembering to take it round the clock to keep it maintained might help ease flares. Guaifenesin might help. Being able to target specific pains with other therapy (patches) can help. And having a large metaphorical stick for when nothing else works....
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Re muscle spasms, I have them due to injuries to my foot and ankle in my legs, and I stretch twice a day during my yoga practice. It doesn't stop having spasms totally, but it does cut down the frequency of them, and makes moving much easier. I can tell immediately if I forget, and it's critical enough that no matter what else I do I will be sitting in Mahamudra and stretching my hamstrings and calves.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Keeping my carbs at 20-25, and cutting out all sugar, most dairy, all bread/potatoes/rice etc....has taken me from 4 flare ups a week....to 1 flare up every 2-3 weeks. I dont even know how to feel anymore. My migraines have diminshed some, but not hugely. I still have 'phases' where I have those. To be honest....I think sugar might be the culprit.......or it could be gluten, but whatever I've eliminated that works, I'm so thankful for it. It's good enough motivation to stay low carb forever. I'll also add that now, what was a nearly constant pain I worked though daily.......is harder now....cause I've kind of gotten used to not having it 24/7. Eh...

This ^^^^^
    I also have Fibro and was diagnosed with it about 15 yrs ago or more, I lost track of the years. I can never understand when people speak of flare ups because my flare ups of pain never cease, depending what I am doing it is more severe. My poor puppy will be walking on the bed just a tiny maltese pup and touch my upper arm and the pain makes me yell aloud. The migraines,knots in the neck muscle are starting again along with severe insomnia and yet I still do low carb since March so nothing has changed, and I am glutton free,sugar free eat dairy mainly in my cheese,or Greek Yogurt. I do have occasionally a slice of weight watchers brown bread but never no more than 2 slices and never rice and seldom white potatoes. I am so sorry your suffering in pain people do not know how blessed they are who do not have this health issue. I do not know whether to call it a disease just like with RA I have severe spine pain. In my personal opinion hypothyroidism lead the way with Fibro and than Chronic Fatigue, no known cure for either but some people can manage their symptoms.
  • karyzma99
    Options
    I find that you have to see what works for you, in my case eliminating processed foods, msg, sugar (artificial sweetener are specially bad), and I also try to stay away from nightshade veggies which is very hard for me (tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes ect) I do well juicing organic fruits & veggies but this can get expensive. I recently bought a NutiBullet so let's see if that works out since instead of just the juice I get the whole fruit/veggie therefore having to use less :). Been struggling with a herniated disk & pinched nerve so that is no fun specially since I can't really control it with food like fibro....hate having to take narcotics or steroids but sometimes it's all that works for that pain. Light exercise is important to keep you mobile but I don't do it nearly enough, it's a bad cycle, pain so don't work out therefore causing more pain due to lack of exercise ....the fibro life..