Tips for improving speed???

Options
rides4sanity
rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
Okay, boys and girls, though I'm not terribly slow (probably around 20mph on flats, 18ish on rollers) I'd like to improve. I don't work speed much because its pretty hilly around WV and hojnestly I'm not sure how to. Anyway, some biking friends just asked me if I'd ride the bike portion of a tri relay. It's only 25 miles and though I'm faster than either of them, I want to be faster than they expect. Yes I'm crazy competitive, but I'm also a busy working mom. Race day in 2 weeks is there anything y'all can think of, drills or exercises to bump me up a bit. Also never raced, so tips or tidbits about that would be appreciated.

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ride the bike as much as you can in advance, rest or at least slow down 2-3 days before the race, diet is also key. Eat as clean as poss & hit your macros.
  • oldfieldm
    Options
    Have you worked on your pedal stroke efficiency. Some bike shops have a compu trainer that you can train on and they can help you with your pedal stroke. A more consistent power rotation is what you are striving for. Also high quality wheels can make a difference. I am sure you are riding often and faster to try to get faster. Maybe ride with faster riders if possible and try not to draft too much. Good Luck
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Ride the bike as much as you can in advance, rest or at least slow down 2-3 days before the race, diet is also key. Eat as clean as poss & hit your macros.

What kind of distribution do you go for with your macros?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In two weeks you are pretty much where you are. You can perhaps look at/ride the course and plan out your gearing, cornering, etc to maximize what you've already got.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options

What kind of distribution do you go for with your macros?
    40% carbs
    30% fat
    30% protein
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    In two weeks you are pretty much where you are. You can perhaps look at/ride the course and plan out your gearing, cornering, etc to maximize what you've already got.
    That is kind of what I thought. I just completed my training for a 200k, so I'm good I'd just like to be better.
  • scott091501
    Options
    That is kind of what I thought. I just completed my training for a 200k, so I'm good I'd just like to be better.

Well you should have a base level of fitness that is good enough to get some use out of threshold intervals. You have a trainer?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming it's a non-drafting event - so in effect a 25 mile time-trial...

My approach to a 25 was quite simple... As it's a relay, I'm guessing you don't have a "start time" so can't warm up properly, but do try and ride yourself in a bit if possible. Go out at a reasonable pace, not full gas, but maybe around 85% for a couple of miles, then "just" wind it up to just short of blowing until the last mile or so. Then give it everything... You should basically expire 2 yards from the line and maybe have the breath to shout your number or tag your relay partner. Have someone on hand to catch you as you fall off the bike, pick you up 5 minutes later when you're no longer purple/blue, and hold your hair out of the way while you throw up.

if you have access to a decent trainer, do a ramp test asap (to give you time to recover from it before the race), find your 1 hour threshold, and ride to 95-98% of that - either by preference with a power meter, or failing that a good HRM. Don't worry about the speed, just worry about riding as hard as you can, and the speed will come. I'll not lie to you though - it's going to hurt! Enjoy :laugh:
  • rides4sanity
    Options

Well you should have a base level of fitness that is good enough to get some use out of threshold intervals. You have a trainer?
    Yup trainer in garage with old road bike. Nope to a real trainer that knows what to do.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    I'm assuming it's a non-drafting event - so in effect a 25 mile time-trial...

My approach to a 25 was quite simple... As it's a relay, I'm guessing you don't have a "start time" so can't warm up properly, but do try and ride yourself in a bit if possible. Go out at a reasonable pace, not full gas, but maybe around 85% for a couple of miles, then "just" wind it up to just short of blowing until the last mile or so. Then give it everything... You should basically expire 2 yards from the line and maybe have the breath to shout your number or tag your relay partner. Have someone on hand to catch you as you fall off the bike, pick you up 5 minutes later when you're no longer purple/blue, and hold your hair out of the way while you throw up.

if you have access to a decent trainer, do a ramp test asap (to give you time to recover from it before the race), find your 1 hour threshold, and ride to 95-98% of that - either by preference with a power meter, or failing that a good HRM. Don't worry about the speed, just worry about riding as hard as you can, and the speed will come. I'll not lie to you though - it's going to hurt! Enjoy :laugh:
    Always a ray of sunshine Yin. Thanks for the layout, first few miles are always crappy.
  • randycatron
    randycatron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) As Scott said, check out the course, ideally pre-ride the course in early AM when there is little traffic. Think about how you can safely get through the corners without having to scrub much speed (typically scrub some speed before the corner).
    2) Wear a tight jersey...assuming you'll be able to stay above 20mph, aerodynamic drag is your enemy. Don't wear loose cycling clothes that will catch the wind (why racers wear skin suits when they time trial).
    3) Ideally, you would want to use aerobars, but if you have never ridden with them before, two weeks is not long enough time to become proficient on a course that may have corners. Second best solution is to ride in the drops as much as you can, again, the purpose being to reduce drag (resulting in more speed for equivalent power output).
    4) Be well hydrated before the race, and if possible only go for a bottle once or twice during the race. Each time you grab the bottle you are scrubbing speed and losing time. But absolutely drink if you need to drink. You should not need to eat during a 40k (25mi).
    5) Know the rules. As Yin said, this is likely a non-drafting tri, which means there are rules related to how closely you can follow other bikes, and rules related to passing other bikes. There are also very strict rules in the transition areas related to having your helmet fastened, and often a well-defined line where you must dismount from your bike prior to entering transition. Know exactly how you are going to transfer you timing chip from you to your runner...you may want to have the swim team member actually do the transfer from your ankle to your runner's ankle (if not prohibited by rule). Know exactly where your runner will be standing after you re-rack the bike and run over to him or her at team transition (where your runner will be depends on how the tri organizer wants to set up the race...just know where they will be at).
    6) Check out your bike two days before the race. Make sure your tires do not have significant nicks or cuts that may result in a flat during the race. Tighten the bolts on the bike (cranks, chain rings, deraillerur brackets, seat tube collar, etc.).Make sure the chain is lubed. Do not make any significant changes to the bike set up prior to the race (ie. adjust the saddle, new shoes, new pedals). Make sure your cleats are not overly worn and are tight on your shoes.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What is your current set up; front and rear sprocket sizes etc?
  • rides4sanity
    Options

Honestly Clog, I don't know, I've been riding for a few years and I get better with the tchnical side, but I'm not there yet. I have a Madone 5.2 with an ultegra compact double, probably most common ratio. It's better on the climb from my old standard double, but my top end speed took a big hit. I'm a WV girl so I like to climb and typically I train more hills than flats. I'm also pretty small which bodes well on the uphills but seems to give me less power on the flats, or that could just be my lack of training in that area.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    1) As Scott said, check out the course, ideally pre-ride the course in early AM when there is little traffic. Think about how you can safely get through the corners without having to scrub much speed (typically scrub some speed before the corner).
    2) Wear a tight jersey...assuming you'll be able to stay above 20mph, aerodynamic drag is your enemy. Don't wear loose cycling clothes that will catch the wind (why racers wear skin suits when they time trial).
    3) Ideally, you would want to use aerobars, but if you have never ridden with them before, two weeks is not long enough time to become proficient on a course that may have corners. Second best solution is to ride in the drops as much as you can, again, the purpose being to reduce drag (resulting in more speed for equivalent power output).
    4) Be well hydrated before the race, and if possible only go for a bottle once or twice during the race. Each time you grab the bottle you are scrubbing speed and losing time. But absolutely drink if you need to drink. You should not need to eat during a 40k (25mi).
    5) Know the rules. As Yin said, this is likely a non-drafting tri, which means there are rules related to how closely you can follow other bikes, and rules related to passing other bikes. There are also very strict rules in the transition areas related to having your helmet fastened, and often a well-defined line where you must dismount from your bike prior to entering transition. Know exactly how you are going to transfer you timing chip from you to your runner...you may want to have the swim team member actually do the transfer from your ankle to your runner's ankle (if not prohibited by rule). Know exactly where your runner will be standing after you re-rack the bike and run over to him or her at team transition (where your runner will be depends on how the tri organizer wants to set up the race...just know where they will be at).
    6) Check out your bike two days before the race. Make sure your tires do not have significant nicks or cuts that may result in a flat during the race. Tighten the bolts on the bike (cranks, chain rings, deraillerur brackets, seat tube collar, etc.).Make sure the chain is lubed. Do not make any significant changes to the bike set up prior to the race (ie. adjust the saddle, new shoes, new pedals). Make sure your cleats are not overly worn and are tight on your shoes.

Lot of good points there, the others I'm riding with are quite into tri's and are aware of the fact that they need to teach me race etiquette and transistion technique. I've never used aero bars, but am quite comfortable in the drops and have some snug jerseys to choose from, and equppment is in good condition, but cornering especially on the downhill is my weakness. I've seen a course map but not with elevation profile but its at a place called Mount Sterling so I'm guessing there will be some climbing involved. I'll not be able to ride the course before hand, but will at least drive it the night before. Thanks for the pointers. Would a small camel back be better than a single waterbottle (hubby has one that sits on the waist and holds about 1 water bottle he uses for long runs), or are those taboo?
  • cloggsy71
    Options

... probably most common ratio...

In that case you will probably have a 50/36 on the front. To increase speed, you can go to a 52/38 on the front, but this will alter the gearing for climbing etc.
  • scott091501
    Options

Lot of good points there, the others I'm riding with are quite into tri's and are aware of the fact that they need to teach me race etiquette and transistion technique. I've never used aero bars, but am quite comfortable in the drops and have some snug jerseys to choose from, and equppment is in good condition, but cornering especially on the downhill is my weakness. I've seen a course map but not with elevation profile but its at a place called Mount Sterling so I'm guessing there will be some climbing involved. I'll not be able to ride the course before hand, but will at least drive it the night before. Thanks for the pointers. Would a small camel back be better than a single waterbottle (hubby has one that sits on the waist and holds about 1 water bottle he uses for long runs), or are those taboo?

Camel backs are fine. Whatever you will be most comfortable with go with. Riding in the drops gives you pretty much the same aero advantage as bars so no big deal. Drafting rule is as follows: You must stay 3 bike lengths back from the rider in front of you if not passing. When passing you have 30 seconds to complete the pass. Riders who are passed must immediately fall back. Depending on how well you ride you're looking at an hour to hour and fifteen of riding. I say blow it out on the flats and down hills and recover a little on the climbs. Generally for an Oly I keep my HR in the 160 area, but I also have a 10k to run afterwards so you could probably go a bit higher.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Camel backs are fine.

Oh no they aren't; they directly contravene rule #32!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ :wink:
  • scott091501
    Options
    Camel backs are fine.

Oh no they aren't; they directly contravene rule #32!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ :wink:

First of all rules for roadies are dumb and don't apply to triathletes. :tongue: But you're right I wouldn't be caught dead with a camelback on.

Secondly at least OP is riding a road bike and not a mountain bike or hybrid.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    First of all rules for roadies are dumb and don't apply to triathletes.

More contravention of the rules; rule #1 & rule #42!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    For the record I don't typically ride with a camelpack because they look like crap, but I wondered about the trade off for ease of use for this application. I tend to have a rough time with hydration, and think I'd rather look stupid than lose time every time I reached or more specifically when I replace the bottle.