Anyone else on here work shifts?

Options
heth120
heth120 Posts: 32 Member
Hi all,
I work a 4x shift pattern (2 days, 2 nights) and was wondering if there were any other shift workers on here who would like to chat? Do you find that shift work interferes with your eating/calorie counting?

Heather

Replies

• Strong_as_Oak
    Strong_as_Oak Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hello Heather,

I work shifts. I work a 5 week rota of early, late and night shifts. It does play havoc will planning ahead for meals. I don't always get a break during a 10hr shift and certainly 9/10 times it's not when I want to be having my break. Before making my change in habits a week ago, I would eat on the go and not make wise choices. It is a downside to working shifts. Anytime you want to chat feel free to drop me a message.
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also work shifts. 12 hour shifts to be exact :-\ I am curently nearing the end of a night shift (having a sneaky break in the office) I find it alot more difficult on nights as my timings are all different. I try to count calories midnight - midnight, that way I tend to stay under. It worries me also that I tend to "pick" more on nights, just to keep me awake!
    Please tell me I'm not the only one....
  • Strong_as_Oak
    Options
    I also work shifts. 12 hour shifts to be exact :-\ I am curently nearing the end of a night shift (having a sneaky break in the office) I find it alot more difficult on nights as my timings are all different. I try to count calories midnight - midnight, that way I tend to stay under. It worries me also that I tend to "pick" more on nights, just to keep me awake!

Your not the only one, it's tiredness and boredom that are the enemies, hence the picking.
  • heth120
    heth120 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yep, me too! I find that when I'm picking up nights for the first shift is the hardest. I've started only having breakfast on theat morning then nothing until about 8pm, but I feel really crappy for the first few hours of the shift. But I know if I didn't do it this way there would be no way I'd be under for the day - I feel more in need of the energy through the night.
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    I work night shifts 7 days on 7 days off 11pm-9am and also work 10.30am-3.30pm 2 days each week.
    I eat my meal at home before my shift starts then usually just have some fruit and some Options hot chocolate drinks during my shift. I don't get an official break as I am the only one working during the night so it would be easy to snack all night! Feel free to add me as a friend so we can share notes.
  • Strong_as_Oak
    Options
    I always make sure I eat a breakfast when I get home from a night shift and before bed. Because if I don't I wake up with chronic headaches and feel so dehydrated
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Another shift worker here.
    I work either 06.00 - 14.00, 14.00-22.00 or overnight 22.00-06.00 with the occasional 12hr shift thrown in for fun.
    My roster is allso pretty intensive, im currently on shift four out of fourteen in a row. Knackering but nice rest periods.
    I do also live a fair way from work so spend around three hours on top of each shift commuting.

All my food is eaten at my desk, and I've found what works for me is taking lots of smaller snacky type bits in with me.
    This so far has stopped me raiding the vending machines although i have become the tupperware queen.

I find earlies my hardest food wise. I'm permanently tired, and to get in for 06.00 i have to wake up at 03.30 so i have long days. I then find when i get home around 16.00 i am tired, grumpy and craving junk.

Would love anymore shift working friends.
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    On night shifts i find i have to go straight to bed when i get in otherwise i can't sleep, but i do make sure i have breakfast before i leave work. I normally have porridge, with milk, sultanas and cinnamon. It keeps me full till i wake up.
    I eat around 5am, home at 7.15 and in bed by 7.30.

I like sleep, so often sleep till around 15.30.
    When i wake i have a mini meal, normally a slice of toast and PB, or yoghurt oats and berries.
    I then have my main meal around half six (with my partner).

My lunch is then normally crackers with philly light and a yogurt which i eat around midnight.
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work shifts. Either earlies (7.15-3.15) Lates (1.15-9.15pm) or nights (8.45pm-7.45am). I don't have any pattern to the shifts so work a mixture, for example this week I have 2 lates, 2 earlies then another late.
    I find the key is to plan! I generally get 2 breaks - a short 10mins tea break and a half hour meal break, so I try to take something snacky for first break then a meal for proper break. I'm not able to eat anything except at break times. I jut have to be careful to try and avoid or limit myself on the biscuits that are often hanging around in the staff room!! If I'm on lates I might have something light when I get in before going to bed.
    On nights I find I'm either starving or not hungry!! So I generally try to take lots of healthy things so I have stuff to munch on if I'm on a hungry night!! I tend to turn my day around and eat breakfast in the evening when I get up! I also generally don't eat in the morning when I get in, I just go to bed.
  • CaralynH
    Options
    Hi there, I work 12hr shifts as well. And pretty random really, not a set pattern. This month seems to be mainly nights though. I find night shifts not TOO bad since I take a microwaveable meal, either a veg-pot style healthy thing, or a homemade meal to heat up. However, my break could be anytime from 11pm (I start 7pm) until 5am, or sometimes no break at all. I have cereal bars with me in the truck (I'm a paramedic) and often fruit as well, but I am often lured towards bottles of lucozade just to keep energy levels up. Temptation is curbed by the fact that shops aren't open to buy more junk, but occasionally there's a chippy open and I lose the fight against junk food!
    Day shifts are probably worse though. I'm up at 5.30am for breakfast. By 9am I'm hungry, so may grab a sandwich. If/when I get a break, that's another sandwich, cereal bar and fruit. Then I have a proper meal when I get home anytime between 8 and 9pm. I don't eat unhealthy things in general, but on day shifts I eat a LOT!
  • chelle866
    Options
    hiya, i work shifts. i find that if i dont plan my days strictly every day for the week i can go completely off track
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey I am another shift worker, either do earlys which are 8.30 till five or lates 5 till 10.30pm or 24 hr shift from 3pm till 3pm!
    I find it much easier on the days I am off to eat properly. On some 24 hr shifts because I am constantly on the go (apart from 8 hrs sleep time!) I forget to drink enough water, have 5 mins to grab lunch so dont eat all fruit and veg I have taken with me. Oh for a monday to friday nine till five!
  • julieat1960
    julieat1960 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another night shift worker here too. Lately it's been a struggle, Now it's coming up to winter thats when I find myself falling to the wayside determined now to make changes and mfp is a great tool to help thats for sure.
  • ChampagnePaulie
    ChampagnePaulie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work shifts too. I do two early shifts (7am to 2pm), 2 late shifts (12pm to 10pm) and two nights (6pm to 4am) and then four days off. I feel more hungry on my early shift as I get up at 5am and don't go to bed until about 11pm so it is a long day. I am most organised on late shift and usually take salad and chicken or tuna to work. When I'm on nights I have something about 4.30pm before I leave for work and then have my meal break at work at midnight.

How do other people cope with the joys of shift work?