Week 7 - 9/10-9/16

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to the Couch to 5K - Week 7! This week, you can say good bye to those annoying intervals. From here on out you're set loose to just get out there and run - isn't it amazing? 6 weeks ago, could you have imagined being able to run for 20 minutes at a stretch? It may not be easy yet - but you're doing it! The end is in sight too - are you registered for a 5K yet? When is it? If you're not - why not! You are ready!

This week, the workout is:

Workout: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

This workout should be completed 3x this week.

Use this thread to check in as you go!

Replies

• Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time scheduling my exercise last week. I just couldn't get motivated. My plan is to jump in with week 7 even though I didn't complete week 6. I was so shocked that I could complete the 20 minute run, that I think I'm ready to stop the intervals. In another month it will be cooler and I can start running outside, I may have to go to interval running once I start that. Once I get to the end of week 9, I'm signing up for the Jingle Bell run which is December 1st. I'm very excited.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I'm repeating week 5 again. I'm just not ready to tackle week 6 yet. Got all of my Week 5 workouts in but had scheduling problems with week 6 and only got one run in. Going to repeat week 5 and move to week 6 next week.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I had a hard time scheduling my exercise last week. I just couldn't get motivated. My plan is to jump in with week 7 even though I didn't complete week 6. I was so shocked that I could complete the 20 minute run, that I think I'm ready to stop the intervals. In another month it will be cooler and I can start running outside, I may have to go to interval running once I start that. Once I get to the end of week 9, I'm signing up for the Jingle Bell run which is December 1st. I'm very excited.

I have heard that some people really need those last intervals for endurance reasons but if 20 minutes was easy for you maybe you don't - I know the 20 minute run was definitely not easy for me the first time I did, and yet today on my run I didn't even look til I was 20 min in!

I'm repeating week 5 again. I'm just not ready to tackle week 6 yet. Got all of my Week 5 workouts in but had scheduling problems with week 6 and only got one run in. Going to repeat week 5 and move to week 6 next week.

I can totally understand that! How did your week 5 runs go?

I did my w7 d2 run today .. well sort of, did my 5K prep run again, so 3.02mi. On Sunday it took me 41:30 - today - 38:30! That put me down to a 12:44 pace which has me TOTALLY thrilled. I'm sure my pace on Thursday for the Race Judicata will be more like the 41:30 because it'll be hot again but still, so glad to see I can do a faster pace on a long run!
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    GAH!! I just lost my post!

I did W7D2 today. I was running stupidly fast in my opinion. I kept trying to slow down and felt toward the end like I was slogging along on lead feet but according to the RunKeeper app I was using I ran 25 minutes, 4.15km with a 6:05 min/km pace. I converted that via the web and it works out to 2.58mi at 9:65min/mi.

Then I thought, Jeez, if I had kept going 800 metres or a block and a half, I would have done the whole 5 km! I wasn't dying but I was never so glad to hear the 25 minute announcement in my life!! I kept trying to slow down each time she announced my pace (every km) but it wasn't working. Maybe it was my music. I switched to a running playlist of songs I had on my phone because I couldn't get the C25K podcast to work with the RunKeeper thing.

I feel great! I would never have thought I could do it!
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well - I had pneumonia the last 2 weeks and first time back at it. Couldnt even go 15 minutes - i was coughing and hacking and couldnt really breath well.

I was at week 8 when i got sick. I'm actually not sure how to start back. Think I'm going to go as far as i can this week and see how i do.

I HATE setbacks - ugh
  • Kamnikar64
    Options

HBarnstein you may have been correct and I should have repeated week 6. But as easy as the 20 minute run was, 25 minutes is really long! I did it, but thought it would never end. I'm hoping that the difficulty was from running after work instead of running in the morning. I'll keep you all posted.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    GAH!! I just lost my post!

I did W7D2 today. I was running stupidly fast in my opinion. I kept trying to slow down and felt toward the end like I was slogging along on lead feet but according to the RunKeeper app I was using I ran 25 minutes, 4.15km with a 6:05 min/km pace. I converted that via the web and it works out to 2.58mi at 9:65min/mi.

Then I thought, Jeez, if I had kept going 800 metres or a block and a half, I would have done the whole 5 km! I wasn't dying but I was never so glad to hear the 25 minute announcement in my life!! I kept trying to slow down each time she announced my pace (every km) but it wasn't working. Maybe it was my music. I switched to a running playlist of songs I had on my phone because I couldn't get the C25K podcast to work with the RunKeeper thing.

I feel great! I would never have thought I could do it!

Holy whoa, your pace is amazing! I'm wicked jealous - you're doing awesome!!

Well - I had pneumonia the last 2 weeks and first time back at it. Couldnt even go 15 minutes - i was coughing and hacking and couldnt really breath well.

I was at week 8 when i got sick. I'm actually not sure how to start back. Think I'm going to go as far as i can this week and see how i do.

I HATE setbacks - ugh

I am so sorry to hear you were sick D: That absolutely sucks. I think that sounds like a good plan - but ease back into it. That's nothing to mess with at all :(

HBarnstein you may have been correct and I should have repeated week 6. But as easy as the 20 minute run was, 25 minutes is really long! I did it, but thought it would never end. I'm hoping that the difficulty was from running after work instead of running in the morning. I'll keep you all posted.

Haha, isn't it funny how long it feels! Changing your running times and conditions will make your runs harder so don't feel bad - I can totally tell the difference not just in my pace but in how I /feel/ if I don't go early before it gets warm. I suppose my body would rather be sleepy than too hot! It's okay that the run challenged you - we're still beginners. It's SUPPOSED to be a challenge - and you passed! :)
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    I made it to week 7 even with a mild case of plantar faciitis. Running on Tues evening was not a good thing. I got on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes and stopped at 10, I could barely walk this morning. I wore my weird looking sandals to work (ECCO with the lower heel bed) and that did help some. I could feel the twinge all day. Stopped off and bought a splint to wear while sleeping. Hopefully this will help it heal faster. I'll keep you all posted, but I am now officially behind because there will be no more running this week or next. :(
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I made it to week 7 even with a mild case of plantar faciitis. Running on Tues evening was not a good thing. I got on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes and stopped at 10, I could barely walk this morning. I wore my weird looking sandals to work (ECCO with the lower heel bed) and that did help some. I could feel the twinge all day. Stopped off and bought a splint to wear while sleeping. Hopefully this will help it heal faster. I'll keep you all posted, but I am now officially behind because there will be no more running this week or next. :(

Ouch!! Definitely heal up and get better :(
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Okay, I'm officially taking this week off from running. Tweaked my back and running is definitely not helping. I am going to be so far behind everybody it's not even funny.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Too many injuries y'all! Feel better, tennesseeleigh - healing is much more important. The c25k will be there when you get better!

I am so nervous, w7 d3 is tonight - my first official 5K!
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    Too many injuries y'all! Feel better, tennesseeleigh - healing is much more important. The c25k will be there when you get better!

I am so nervous, w7 d3 is tonight - my first official 5K!

You will fly through it; no problem!
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody......we've come a long way!!

Everyone - please stay well......it does sound like the team has had a few setbacks but we can make it through.

I only made it 20 minutes yesterday after finally starting back - weird thing is - my pace picked up by about 30 seconds - go figure.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    This is the second time I've done C25K - the first time I had to stop at the beginning of week 7 due to injury. This time around, I was already running a mile when the challenge started so I figured I'd just work on improving that until I hit a point where my progress and the C25K schedule met up. Ironically, it ended up at week 7, right where I left off!

I'm doing 2.5 miles and I'm mostly comfortable with it, but once I realized that I am no longer going to be working at my own pace and will instead fall into line with week 8 requirements, it was kind of an odd feeling! On the one hand, I like pacing myself. On the other hand, I could use that little nudge to push me past what I think I can do. So bring on week 8! :wink:
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have completed up to w7d2. Because I got behind due to vacation and because I want to run a 5k on Sept 23 I have been running every other day for 3 weeks now. But my knees are really starting to complain about it. I think I need two days rest in a row for them to feel better but then I'm afraid of not being prepared enough for the 5K.

grrr this body!!

I've decided to take it one day at a time and see how I feel. If I think I need another day's rest I will take it. In the end I am ahead of schedule because I didn't really plan to start C25K until Sept. :)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I have completed up to w7d2. Because I got behind due to vacation and because I want to run a 5k on Sept 23 I have been running every other day for 3 weeks now. But my knees are really starting to complain about it. I think I need two days rest in a row for them to feel better but then I'm afraid of not being prepared enough for the 5K.

grrr this body!!

I've decided to take it one day at a time and see how I feel. If I think I need another day's rest I will take it. In the end I am ahead of schedule because I didn't really plan to start C25K until Sept. :)

I ran my first 5K last night and it was w7 d3. You got this thing, don't even stress! :)
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    Today was W7D3. Considering how far I went on Day 2 and my pace, I slowed it down to 6min41sec/km which I think converts to 10min32sec/mile. I liked that pace much better; I didn't feel like I was going too fast or going to drop dead any second. LOL

So I decided that since I was only 850m from 5k last time, I was just going to do the whole 5k. So, I did! Yay, me! I ran 5.11k in 34 minutes. Pretty good for someone who didn't run in the beginning of July!!

I haven't signed up for any races because the one I wanted to do, my son now has a hockey tournament, and since hockey season is now in full swing for the both of them, I won't be able to do anything else on the weekends. I hope to get the three of us and a friend of mine and her son into the local Zombie Chase. I'm not sure when it is though and I suspect we won't run the whole way if we have our kids with us. In any event, the Colour Me Rad fun run is in Detroit next May, and I think that would be really cool to do, so we'll try to get over there for that.

Happy running everyone! Everyone is doing a terrific job at this!