Relief without medication

Options
DollyMiel
DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
Hey everyone~

I was wondering if any of you had tips to get over massive panic attacks without the aid of medication. Usually I would take something but I don't have access to a doctor anymore, and besides, I'd like to be able to manage even my worst attacks without prescription meds.

I find that while exercise is great for my chronic fatigue and occasional depression, it doesn't work the same miracles for my anxiety. :c I do self-hypnosis, which is a little beneficial.

Does anyone know of herbal remedies, for example, or supplements that would help me?

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt (well paraphrasing) from the Panic Away program I have...its an amazing read. I'll be glad to send it to you via email if you'd like.

Observe:
    When you observe the initial sensations that usually accompany a panic attack,
    acknowledge to yourself that now is the time to apply your new learning. You’re not
    setting the scene to have a tug of war with the anxiety as before.

Embrace:
    Embrace the fear as it rises within you. Mentally send it a short message telling it
    that you’re glad it’s come to visit and you’re sending it a warm welcome. Invite this
    feeling into your body and mind, and treat it like an old friend.
    Be firm. Just watch as the feeling of fear rises and draws nearer. If you’re a visual
    type, you might want to give the anxiety a mental image, such as a troublesome
    child or ridiculous cartoon character with big feet.

Demand More:
    Demand more! Scream out, if you must, but let your anxiety know you’re making a
    firm request that you want to experience the very worst it can throw at you! The
    request for more is the most empowering statement you make when in the midst of
    a full-blown panic attack. It sends a clear and strong statement that you are calling
    fear’s bluff

Here are some mantras you may use to fully process the fear:

"I feel anxious and my heart is beating fast, but now show me how it
    feels to be more anxious, come on heart beat faster! Is that as fast as
    you can go?"

"Show me what it’s like if my throat and chest feel even tighter.
    I can feel a real knot in my stomach, but I wonder what it would be
    like if it were much tighter. Can’t you make it tighter? Is that the most
    you can offer?"

"I notice all kinds of fearful thoughts circling around my mind. Make
    them faster. Aren’t there any scarier ones?"

This request for more is a request that fear cannot deliver. You voluntarily move in
    the same direction as the sensations, and you give no momentum to the fear to
    create the internal tug of war struggle.

Trust:
    This is where you need to trust you are safe. Trust yourself. Trust in your own
    body’s ability to handle the situation and all the unusual bodily sensations you
    might feel. Trust that you can process this fear and that the anxious thoughts you
    experience are not valid.

Hope it helps.
  • angel924_2004
    Options
    The above posted is great. I've found that I am able to somewhat reduce the intensity of a panic/anxiety attack by (usually) going outside, controlling my breathing, and reciting my mantra of the day (generally something like "be calm" or "calm down" or "this is only temporary, you aren't trapped").