Week 1 (9/12 - 9/18) Mini Challenges - Back to Basics

Options
Howdy!

The response to this challenge has been incredible. I’m so excited to start!

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day. It was recommended that I also include mini-challenges to carry us from week. It was a great suggestion so here goes! As it says in the group’s main page, I want to make the most out of the next 10 weeks so I thought a weekly challenge with both a food goal and exercise goal would be the way to go. Take on one, take on both, or take on none, it's your choice.

If you're interested in taking on these mini-challenges, use this thread to post your results. Post daily, post weekly or post whenever you damn well please :) Make this challenge work for you!

Call me crazy, but I thought we could use this first week to go back to the basics. Why not kick start loss by doing what we can to shed whatever water weight we might be carrying while we’re also working to burn fat. So... the food challenge for week 1 is to drink at least... at the VERY least... 8 glasses of water or 64 ounces of water a day. Currently, I try to get between 20-25 glasses a day so for this week’s mini challenge I’m going to up this and try for 25-30 each and every day. To get that high of a number, I include every little sip… the water I use for my protein drinks, the water I chug when I’m working out, the glass I take with my morning vitamins… every… last… sip. It adds up and it adds up fast. (If you're like me... plain old water gets... well plain old boring. So I've tried to look for things I could add to make it more appealing. I've come across True Lemon Raspberry Lemonade drink mixes. They are sweetened with the natural sweetener Stevia rather than artificial sweeteners and they are only 5 calories per pouch. I found them at Wal-Mart.)

And now for the heavy breathing part. I've tried to think what exercise comes to mind when I think ‘basic’ and what popped into my head was sit-ups. Just thinking about it made me groan but in the words of the great Jillian Michaels, “Sit-ups are oldies but goodies. They’ve got everything working.” And after doing a couple, I have to agree because… ouch. So… the exercise mini-challenge for week 1 of the 10 Week Trim is to do a sit-up… then repeat. Do a sit up every day and try to increase the number of sit-ups you did the day before by at least 1.

Starting Wednesday, September 12th, keep track of the total # of ounces of water you drink and the total # of sit ups you do and post your awesome results here.

PM me if I missed anything. Have a great week everybody!

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Awesome, this should help me with my water intake. I'm not sure about the sit ups as I do planks every day anyway. Or I'm supposed to. Can this count instead? Maybe just trying to beat the amount of time I can hold it?
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BTW thank you for doing this. You're awesome.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! This isn't meant to interfere with anything anyone is already doing. Planks are brutal. I've got to do them again today as part of NROL4W.
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Along with "back to basics" I'm going to add in becoming BFF's with my food scale again :)
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    Options
    Along with "back to basics" I'm going to add in becoming BFF's with my food scale again :)

OOO! Good plan!
  • V1CT0R1Axxx
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 30 day shred so that should help with one of the mini challenges- sit ups :bigsmile: and as for water this is a great idea to include this as a mini goal as i do drink a lot but i don't always log it on here and this might help me remember lol. I usually drink at least 8 cups a day so may aim for more to kick start the challenge :smile: i include herbal teas in with the water though is this ok? (fruit teas with no sugar or caffeine) as i also find plain water a little boring after the 3rd glass :drinker:
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 30 day shred so that should help with one of the mini challenges- sit ups :bigsmile: and as for water this is a great idea to include this as a mini goal as i do drink a lot but i don't always log it on here and this might help me remember lol. I usually drink at least 8 cups a day so may aim for more to kick start the challenge :smile: i include herbal teas in with the water though is this ok? (fruit teas with no sugar or caffeine) as i also find plain water a little boring after the 3rd glass :drinker:

Of course!
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am so going to do this. Sit-ups starting tomorrow. I'm doing an elliptical challenge, wii fit challenge, and this 10 week challenge. I am so going to lose........these pounds that is. Thanks :bigsmile:
  • lainie71
    Options
    I agree with getting back to basics! I re-started myself yesterday (Monday) and as of right now I am having an *awful* time with a withdrawal headache from either sugar, caffine, or both. I can't see and feel slightly ill from it :( I am drinking water trying to stay hydrated and hope it helps to flush everything out (96 oz yesterday!), but I am not sure I will exercise this week other than maybe walking. I think it's just too much for me to do both cutting out a lof of foods I ate and strenuous exercise right now. I should be better by Thursday (I hope!)

Will post starting stats tomorrow!

L
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Woohoo...sit ups...I always forget about them.
  • nofailureallowed
    Options
    Cant wait! If I started doing sit-ups tonight would that be cheating?? LOL J/K! :laugh:
  • KimWilliams6706
    Options
    The Raspberry Lemonade sounds great. I have tried several but am always getting bored. And I always try to drink the water but talking with all of you will help I think.

Sit-ups?? Really?? Oh,...ok.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'll definitely partake in the water challenge but unfortunately I have to forgo the sit ups (surgery 2 weeks ago boo). This is a great challenge btw!!
  • mporyazova
    Options
    oh well :) i am working out everyday(apart from friday) and have sit ups in the workout already, although i slacked a bit during the weekend and i have to compensate for it this friday lol :D as well everyday i drink at least 8 glasses of water, although i don't keep track in MFP... i am always trying to increase the number, but i hate it when i have to run for the toiler every 10 mins.. it's annoying :D
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Oh Im up for this :)
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    This is awesome!!! I do some kind of workout everyday except Sundays so my focus will be on increasing my # of situps each day. If I do 30 today, then I will strive for 40 tomorrow and so on!! Since this is a challenge, I want to challenge myself. As for the water, I'm a big water drinker!! I just want plain old water....no flavoring, no lemon, no sparkles or anything. So I'm loving this week's challenge.

Congrats to all who has taken on this challenge. We can encourage one another along the way. Our success is based upon what we're willing to do to change our current circumstance. Let's make it happen!!
  • bfonju
    Options
    Fun!
    I will try to add the Abs and Planks each day at the end of my Insanity workouts :smile:
    Brenda
  • bfonju
    Options
    Today 30 Ab crunches/sit ups after an insane Abs and Max Cardio Recovery workout. Aim for 50 or more tomorrow or we'll see.

Only 6 glasses of water so far
  • droopy3131
    droopy3131 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!!! I will take your challenge and post daily what I drank and how many situps! Thank you for being an inspiration!!
  • colleenv
    Options
    I'm so excited for this Challenge! Gonna work out, eat right, read and respond to the message boards for support and fill out the weekly weigh-in spreadsheet. Thank you so much for being the push I need.