Gender considerations in weight loss

Options
AFreeheart
AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
I know there are lots and lots of them!
I believe I became chronically obese to feel bigger.
I'm 5'3''..at one point that was seen as a challenge to ''passing'' as a man. I felt very self-conscious about it..until I started seeing lots of Mexican men about my heigth.
I've had a long time aversion to looking in mirrors...gender-related, Mirror-avoidance really adds to all kinds of crazy physical self-imade distortions.

Replies

• nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My weight just sort of crept onto me, Nothing to do with gender issues. Only in the last few years have gender issues had a place in my thinking. I spent many years in denial, there were reasons for the denial and then there was a period of discovering who I was. It's what happens when your parents would never be accepting of who you really are, only what they deemed you to be. Others had greater freedom to be who they wanted to be. I made choices that I felt I needed to make, am not sorry for them, but now, look at life a little differently, so am more at peace with myself. My parents are now gone, so the only ones left that I have to deal with, are my children, as time goes on, I have to end being DL.

My current weight loss issues, I want to get rid of my excessive gut. I want to get to a point where I can do what I want, without having to figure my weight issues into my decisions. Does gender affect my weight loss, no, I want to see myself as a much healthier and thinner person. It will be a person I have never been before, so am eager to get there.
  • celtictechie
    Options
    Well my weight gain came from not exercising as well as body image issues. I was covering my body and not realizing I was gaining weight until my clothes were super tight. I wasn't out, even to myself, while I was gaining the weight, but then I came out and just kept gaining. A bit was medications that made me crave carbs, which I am now off of, but I think a lot was I was just stressed to a huge degree.

However, for the weight loss portion the gender considerations have been huge. As a masculine genderqueer, I wanted to lose all the weight in my stomach and chest. Which, thankfully, the chest weight is going fast. But there's also a reality that as someone who is not on T I will never achieve exactly what I want. So it's a lot of looking for exercises that will achieve the upper body I want without having T... but it's also that I want to still look muscular - so it also has to do with getting my fat to distribute differently based on muscle mass. So far it's going well but I'm nervous I'm getting way too feminine of hips...
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would like to look more androgynous but most people don't really understand that. As for what I would ideally want to look like, I would prefer a male (if feminine) body. But I know I can never realistically ever achieve that (without drastic surgery) and I think it's mentally holding me back. I naively hope that losing a lot of weight will help me look more like that but I know I never will. My fear is that I'll forever be stuck with a huge chest and the most giant hips known to humanity and that I'll never look the way I feel I should (and thus, always be very unhappy).

I hate having that kind of mental/emotional roadblock. I know a lot of weight loss is mental, and I do hypnosis to reinforce that, but every time I try to use the mantra of envisioning myself as I would like to look, it only depresses rather than motivates me. u__u
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would like to look more androgynous but most people don't really understand that. As for what I would ideally want to look like, I would prefer a male (if feminine) body. But I know I can never realistically ever achieve that (without drastic surgery) and I think it's mentally holding me back. I naively hope that losing a lot of weight will help me look more like that but I know I never will. My fear is that I'll forever be stuck with a huge chest and the most giant hips known to humanity and that I'll never look the way I feel I should (and thus, always be very unhappy).

I hate having that kind of mental/emotional roadblock. I know a lot of weight loss is mental, and I do hypnosis to reinforce that, but every time I try to use the mantra of envisioning myself as I would like to look, it only depresses rather than motivates me. u__u

I can relate to this so much. I don't think I need to change my body with surgery per se because I do feel very "both or neither" about gender somehow, in a way that I have trouble articulating... but I want to have the most ambiguous, andro appearance I can. I'd probably play sometimes a little to one side or the other... but I hate being stuck in this hourglass.
  • tguy21
    tguy21 Posts: 1
    Options
    So glad to see this group on here!

When I came out, my immediate family was not nearly as supportive as I thought they would be. I'd always tended to hide my body under my clothes, but the hurt and frustration led to a lot of emotional eating and I packed on the pounds. I was nervous about going to the gym and being read as a woman. It just felt safer to stay inside on my computer.

Now that I'm more confident in myself, I want to be out and active. The funny thing is, it seems like the more weight I've gained, the more people have used the right pronouns with me. Either way, I want to be in good shape by the time I'm able to afford top surgery and T.
  • Prototyp
    Options
    I've always been underweight and small, for a plethora of reasons. I was born premature, I was never taught healthy eating, I lived in a stressful environment as a kid with no real security...

In high school, I always ended up wearing very large and aggressive clothes, inevitably to hide my chest and to push against the grain and make up for the supposed weakness and frailty of myself and my body. Oh, and I hate people.

Anyway... I am on testosterone, which has done a lot of the work with my self image. I may have been small, but I still had more feminine of a shape than I wanted. Gaining muscle before now seemed impossible and not worth it. But now I have been treated for over a year, and I have extreme motivation for looking the best I can be. I feel like now that I'm read the right way, I can really go the length to own my body.

Even if I will never look the way I ultimately want to. I'm way too short for that (5'4") and will never be able to afford surgery, let alone have a suitable bottom surgery option for probably as long as I live. It would've been easy to be born the right way, so I could struggle with sexuality and genderqueerness alone.

So now I'm trying to gain muscle and definition, and hopefully a healthy body weight for a change.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Not much happening here lately, I was hoping for more activity. I have become a bit more open about my femininity, if we can call it that.
  • _Ren
    _Ren Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My therapist wants me to get down to the healthy BMI for my height. 30ish pounds to go. My scale broke, so I need something a bit more accurate.
  • AFreeheart
    Options
    Hi Ren...and welcome. Best of luck with using my fitness pal....its a great tool!
    I started this group, but haven't posted much since. My partner had heart failure in mid-July & my attention has been shifted into caregiving. Health is stable now.
    How's everyone doing?
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi Ren...and welcome. Best of luck with using my fitness pal....its a great tool!
    I started this group, but haven't posted much since. My partner had heart failure in mid-July & my attention has been shifted into caregiving. Health is stable now.
    How's everyone doing?

Oh man, AF, I am so sorry to hear about your partner's heart troubles. I hope you two are doing well and that things are on the upswing.
  • AFreeheart
    Options
    We are doing pretty well right now. Susan's health is stable and her prognosis is excellent, but the chances of emergencies are still there. She had a blood clot incident a few weeks ago.
    Thanks for your support!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I didn't know that! I hope everything is all right. Good for you in being there for her and still keeping active as well. Hope she is doing well. <3
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    afre i didnt know you had these probs, i hope she is getting better now. your doing so well.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options

I can relate to this so much. I don't think I need to change my body with surgery per se because I do feel very "both or neither" about gender somehow, in a way that I have trouble articulating... but I want to have the most ambiguous, andro appearance I can. I'd probably play sometimes a little to one side or the other... but I hate being stuck in this hourglass.

I feel you on this one. I'm very comfortable going back and forth, or being right in the middle. I've always just thought of myself as a very feminine man who could become a very stealthy drag-queen with ease.

But, when I was very heavy, if I dressed towards the male side, I tended just to look frumpy and people automatically assumed I was just a butch lesbian. Now that I'm smaller, if I dress masculinely, people just assume I'm into fashion - correct, but not the whole story.