Struggling with doing school and tempted to go back to Ed

Options
Has anyone been in school before and dealt with the stress of wanting to binge and purge or restrict but not given into the desire to do it! I just started school again and have been b/p free for over a year but I am worried that I am gonna get overwhelmed and stressed out and really wanna revert back into my old eating patterns! HOw have any of you dealt with school and not B/P and or restricted?

Replies

• kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can't help but here for you if you need me x
  • jesusismyrock7
    jesusismyrock7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you a ton!
  • kristaleighwhite
    kristaleighwhite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The key to my recovery has been keeping busy; if I don't have the time to binge and/or purge, then I won't do it. I keep busy by keeping a schedule. I use the calendar in Microsoft Outlook (at work) to schedule virtually every hour of my day, which ensures that I don't head to the bathroom after having a snack or eating lunch. I also do this to a certain extent at home. I have three personal training sessions per week during weeknights, and a set "date" with a girlfriend to do cardio on Friday nights, after which, we go out for dinner. I have a list in my head of things to do that either need doing, or I know I will enjoy doing, including brainless things like Facebook, surfing the net in general, or watching one of the many TV shows I watch. Keeping a routine has been absolutely key.

That being said, I cannot say the same as you - I have not gone longer than eight months in the last twenty years without purging, and that only happened on one occasion. I have been doing really well in the last couple of years, but recent stresses have increased my likelihood to seeing purging as an escape... which is why I'm responding here. (I was going to start my own thread but thought that my own questions might be of interest.)

I am 36-years-old and can now recognize when I am triggered with relative ease. I usually am able pull myself out of it using various coping strategies, but if I feel like the ED is controlling me and not vice versa, I am quick to make an appointment with my ED doc to try to sort out whatever the issue is. I have an appointment made for this Friday.

So, I have the same and a similar question: how do you stop yourself from acting out on your behaviours? And, if you are on meds, which ones and in what combinations? I was on effexor for a long time and stopped last summer as I wanted to try going med-free, but I know my doctor is going to recommend that I try again because of my history.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    This may sound silly but the key is to believe in yourself. You have the power to not go back to those habits, sometimes it's that feeling of loss of control that creates this horrible cycle. If you feel overly stressed and would like some support, please seek professional help and maybe consider visiting your school counsellor to help you manage and balance your life. I think prevention is better than cure so really consider getting some professional help now.

Other than that, keeping yourself busy and organised really helps in my opinion. I've slipped again since going to university and I think it's because of my lack of organisation and control. Find another coping strategy that is safe, instead of going back to those old ways like writing, dancing, singing, etc.

A year without binging and purging is a wonderful accomplishment and I congratulate you for such a marvelous victory. Keep it up! Just think about how far you have come, don't let that go!

Good luck xx
  • jesusismyrock7
    jesusismyrock7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    THanks ladies and sorry for the late response. I had to get off of MFP because I was cutting my caloric intake way back to nothing and getting obsessive. I have still managed to stay purge free since my original post. It is still a struggle daily. I am now about to graduate ministry school in a month and feeling a lot of pressure. Thanks for all of your support everyone.

Thanks Sam