Setting mini goals to get you to your long term goal

Options
Has anyone else set mini goals or challenges for themselves to help stay on track?

I've heard of people doing anything from 5ks & marathons to planning a special weekend trip or treating themselves to a manicure/pedicure. It's always interesting to read what type of mini goals others have set for themselves and I'd love to see if anyone has anything particular planned.

40lbs for me sounds like an impossible journey to achieve so I've set a challenge for myself: to complete a half marathon in December. The weekly training for that will keep me focused and motivated. Once I reach my ultimate goal I fully intend on getting a few new peices to add to my wardrobe. 1 big challenge for me - not so many mini goals. I have a wedding to attend in November and I'd love to be able to fit into one of my smaller sized dresses.

Replies

• sakraf
    sakraf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are so right about mini goals. They are the best. This next 10 days my schedule is crazy, but I have set a goal to make sure to hit the gym daily, even if I don't have time for my usual cardio. If I go 10 straight days, I am buying myself a new pair of shoes. But no new shoes if I miss a day. For me, that's motivation!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have my workouts for the next year pretty much outlined...and it's overwhelming to think about! It definitely helps to have some mini goals in there. So I put in a few, sometimes my goal might be 90% compliance with my monthly training plan. I have had a hard time with setting goals that are weight specific though. I haven't lost any weight this summer but I've gone down a size. I even lost about a size last summer but I still had my old fat clothes hanging around. So when I moved in January, and during this summer, I got rid of a bunch of clothes that just didn't serve me anymore. Then of course I HAD to buy new clothes because literally I had no jeans to wear and I wanted some new tops to look good in. So when I lose more weight or go down another size I will get rid of more clothes and replace them with things that make me look and feel good. And this might sound a little vain but it's kind of important to have gym clothes that you look good in too. I just feel better at the gym when I feel like I look good, same goes for work, and pretty much any day for me.
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I Have decided to set some short term goals for this challange to see if maybe it will keep me on track better. After consulting with the calendar and calculating what a reasonable weight loss would be this is what I came up with...

October 20, I have a wedding to attend: Goal - Lose 10lbs Total
    December 25th, Christmas: Goal Lose 25lbs Total
    February 14th, Valentines Day; Goal Lose 40lbs Total
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont have a set time limit of when I want the weight off, because I know that it will come off in time, BUT I do have goals with my workouts.

I have been trying to reduce my minutes per mile for running when I am outside on the trail. I have reduced 2 minutes in a month and am hoping to reduce a minute by the end of this month. And so forth...

I do a bootcamp in the mornings : Ultimate Fitness BootCamp and I have a goal of 3-5 pounds a month because of the workout.

Hope this helps...I just try and focus on the big picture and remember that everyday I just have to challenge myself to make time to work out and chose the healthiest things for my body to consume.

Good luck in your journey! :)
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When I hit 64 kgs, my BMI would be normal. That's my first mini-goal. Then 60 kgs is my second mini goal, later I want to get to 57 kgs (what I weighed before pregnancy) and then, at 55 kgs I would be at my goal weight.

My fitness target is to be able to run 10 kms at a stretch. I can get to 10 kms on an elliptical trainer, but I need to see if I can make it when the impact of actual running kicks in.
  • debiw1234
    Options
    My mini goal this week is to log everyday, everything I eat. My habit is when I eat more than I should I just don't post.