Some things I find funny...

Options
LordBezoar
LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
So, our Stake Conference is this month--This Sunday, to be exact. The adult session is, of course, Saturday night. Normally, the adult session would start at 7:00, however, there is this little sporting event going on that night, the last BYU/U of U game for a quite a while.

For those of you outside of the "bubble" as I call it, there is an insane amount of rivalry between BYU and the U of U, and the game in which they play each other is the highlight of many people's years--some families have elaborate traditions and other things that revolve around the event. However, because of some restrictions now that they are in different divisions, they will only be able to play against each other once every three years or something like that. (I am not a sports fan, so I may be wrong on this point.)

Anywho, because of this, our Stake president has decided to change the time for the adult session from 7pm to 6pm so that members will be able to be home and with their families for kickoff at 8pm. I may be wrong, but I feel fairly confident that this is the first time I have heard of a meeting being moved for nothing more than a local sporting event...

Another oddity from my Stake: Because of Stake Conference this week, the Brigham City Temple Dedication on the 23rd, and General Conference two weeks after that, we will only have one week of regular meetings in the next four. (^.^)

Replies

• LayneMorris
    Options
    I have seen similar things done, but not very often.
  • niebbia
    niebbia Posts: 32
    Options
    We have the same problem here in INDIANA every time BYU plays Notre Dame. It always happens to be the same time as our stake conference...for years they had the Priesthood/leadership session in the am to avoid the afternoon game...until one hear a general authority was here and said "no way!" It was never a choice that was hard for me to make...! ONce again this October 20th we have conference and BYU will be playing Notre Dame! I will be at conference...

A cool thing though is that the BYU team is doing a tri stake fireside on Friday night...
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that we aren't the only ones, then. :D

I'm not much of a sports fan--or a BYU fan either, for that matter. So I find people's obsessions with watching sports and/or schools amusing at times.

I suppose my own obsessions are equally odd to others, though...