Shoes?

Options
I'm a very new runner but have gone from wanting to die during a quarter mile warmup during a bootcamp to about 4 miles in a little less than 6 weeks time. I've got a couple 5ks scheduled and a half marathon for February that I'm just looking to complete and hoping to find a couple 10ks in between. I bought some new trail running shoes a few weeks ago and they felt great at first and I've got them worn in pretty nicely now but my feet are now hurting in a few different areas and I'm starting to get blisters on the inside of my heels.

Are my feet just getting used to all this running or do I need to get a better pair of shoes? As a former college athlete I'm not completely new to working out this much but never did run as much as I am now. I believe I am an underpronator and do most of my running on trails, though some on pavement. If it helps, I am also a 6'2'' female and weight approximately 278 :sad: but that is down from 307 just 6 weeks ago! :happy: Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you are doing really well in your training. I would say you need to go to one of the fitness shoe store that actually have the treadmill and they watch you run. I say it is the shoes. Great job on your weight loss too. WTG :drinker:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome job on the running!

Yeah, I'd say it is the shoes. My personal experience has been that I now take a 1/2 size larger than when I first started running. I read somewhere that this is actually a normal response to the stresses imposed on the feet by running.

Maybe you could go to a store that specializes in sports shoes. Here we have a place called Fleet Feet and it is a chain so maybe you have one nearby. They will video your walk and run on a treadmill to ceck for gait and such. Get a better fit that way.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll ask around for a good place to check out.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't forget when looking at shoes to check out socks too. When I first started running, I had blisters until I switched to a good pair of running socks. they did help reduce the rubbing sigificantly. You can also find all kinds with cushioning in areas that bother you and arch support if needed. You'll need them less as your feet toughen, but they did help!