Injuries

Options
OK, so we've all had or will have injuries. I've had a broken tailbone, and a really bad sprained ankle. Thankfully (Knock on wood), I'm back to skating now, injury free. Well, my tailbone still hurts all the time and still can't skate without my ankle splint, but I still consider this injury free. What are some great ways to help our injured girls out there rehabilitate. I know a lot of non impact exercise can be done in a pool, but what about the girls that don't have access to a pool?

I know, just walking helped me a lot. When my ankle was good enough to start walking on, I started out slowly (and stretched a lot beforehand), and then I worked in a little more every day. I think this helped a lot to get back to skating. Someone who had an injury similar to mine tried to push by getting back on skates too early, and they still have a lot of pain. I listened to the doctor and eased back in to it. Anyone else have any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually had surgery on a broken ankle (partially from Derby). After my months of no walking i saw a PT and got some good exersices. One that really helped (expecially with derby as it also helps with balance) is really surprising. Balance on 1 foot with your eyes closed. It sounds dumb but it honestly helps, keep doing it and try to be able to stay with your eyes closed for longer andf longer each time (and do both feet, even the non-injured one). This strengthens and stabalizes your ankles. Also, up and down a step x amount of times each evening and stretch. My ankle will never be the same but I was back skating at full strength after a few months so it worked.
  • JustineSane
    JustineSane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been playing derby for 3 1/2 years, never an injury. In August I damaged my PCL - posterior cruciate ligament in my left knee. I had MRI's etc...no tears, so no surgery, but the ligament is stretched and bruised and swollen. I have been doing physio for 9 weeks now. I have a dull throbbing behind my knee, I can walk much better, and get up stairs better (down stairs still sucks). I cannot fully bend or extend my leg yet, and am still not allowed by physiotherapist to do weight bearing, or deep knee bends. My only exercise lately is recumbent bike, and upper body weight lifting.
    The sports medicine doctor advised me that anyone he has treated with this injury has returned to their sport, but he has admitted that he has never had a derby girl as a patient - so he is concerned about the stress on knee + impact. He suggests a brace when I can return to play. The cost starts at $1700!! I am still waiting to see if it is covered by insurance.
    Has anyone else had this injury? or know someone who has? and can possibly fill me in on someone else's experience?
  • throttler228
    Options
    I had a huge injury during a scrimmage, completely self-inflicted. I suspect I tried to push sharply in to the ankle from a squat with my toes turned out but my knee not over my toes, which caused the twisting motion that left me on crutches 3 months and tons of pain. I am just now coming back after about 7 months and two surgeries to install and remove hardware. I feel pretty good but my biggest issue on skates hasn't been my ankle. It's been my lower back in to my tailbone, which I suspect is from all the sitting and then also compensating for the weaker leg.

I was able to stay consistent with crunches, leg lifts and pushups (from the knee) for the first 2 months or so, until crutch use caused me to tweak my back. Once I got out of the habit, I found it difficult to get back in, and for most of my injury the most exercise I got was at therapy. I regret not staying with the things I could do. My weight also yo-yo'ed dramatically, so weight was lost rapidly and then gained back rapidly (when I was walking and it was easy to get to the fridge.)

It's all a head game now, and it worries me. I can't keep up. Things hurt, but usually its not the ankle. I don't trust my weak left leg. This **** is 100% hard again, not just sorta hard. My confidence is a little shaky and I approach each drill not sure if I can do it or adapt it. I'm hoping with each time I learn I can do something, that will go away.

Also, I still hate hockey stops. Couldn't do them before. Can't imagine them now.
  • 76blaze
    Options
    I know how hard it is to build your confindence back up. I had a really bad sprain, not even a break and it's taken me months to get back what I lost and I'm still about half afraid to do jumps. I'm comfortable with everything now but the jumps, I don't know if I'll ever get comfortable with those. Good luck. Dont' focus on what you should have done, just look forward and I'm sure you'll be as good as new in no time. :wink: