Need my Sista's Advice

Options
I really dont know what to say, I'm embarassed of how I have let myself go, I dont like the shape im in and i've been too lazy to change. Most people look at me and say i wish i was your size, but I know what I want to look like and this isnt it. Motivation? It isnt easy, i look at all of these fit people around me and they look so happy healthy and energized. Why can't I feel enthusiastic about exercise like they do? I'm excited about Sunday dinners, pasta and chocolate... not working out. ! It seems so easy, you eat right , excercise and you'll lose the weight, right? Someone please help me with some words of encouragement and things you've tried to help you lose weight and get healthy.

Replies

• asmith102781
    Options
    Hi there. You sound just like I did about how I felt about my appearance. I was ashamed of how I let myself go. That was a big factor in making me change. I don't despise working out, actually I'm the opposite, I can be a gym rat when I want to be. Its just if I stop for a long time..whew(lol). What really got me motivated was having my daughter. Just made me realize that I have to be around for her and looking at some of the people in my family. They are diabetics on insulin and I don't want to end up like that. Also I had high blood pressure during my pregnancy so I knew something had to change. I just started with small steps after I had her 4 months ago and once I had the okay from the doctor began running. I have now lost 61lbs and can't see myself stopping. I have 40 more to go before I reach my weight goal. If you ever want to talk feel free to add me or send me a message :)
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Honestly i don't even know if I can give you the encouraging words you are looking for because I myself struggle everyday on staying focused, encouraged, and motivated ... Tomorrow will mark my 8 weeks (2 months) since starting this journey and as of today (weigh in tomorrow) I have ONLY lost 15lbs. I know someone somewhere is going to say "only ... its a start.... its better than nothing ... the weight didnt go on quick so it wont come off ... etc etc" but for me honestly its still an ONLY ..... I work as hard as I can and I make the changes I can within my means (financially, time, single parent, no license/no car, etc) but I feel like I am getting no where ....

All I can really say is that everyday is a new day when we wake up and an accomplished day when we lay down .... In time those days will turn into the accomplishment/satisfaction/guarantee that we are seeking and we will be in a better place than we are right now. Keep up the hard work and stay focused and determined because we can do this - - -
  • dsfriday
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words everyone :)
  • charris0312
    charris0312 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Girlllll, your story is my story and many other women story... While I've always been heavy it appears in the past 2 years I've really out done myself. I hit 293 lbs, it got so bad that I had people wondering if I was pregnant.. Hell I had to question myself sometimes.. I even started using the Expectant Mother's parking spaces at the store (LOL.. but verrry serious). My body started to always hurt, I was becoming depressed, I didnt want to do anything with my daughters, my body magic wasn't working it's magic for me because my fat put it's own spell on it. Then I decided, enough was enough. I had to make myself do something about myself. I found that I could not work out by myself because I would cut myself short. So I joined a work out group in my area. My motivation has been the massive increase of energy, the old clothes I can wear without my body magic that has become too big and the best one yet, my daughters and I are always on the go. Yes, it will be hard at first, because I found that I was trying to just diet rather than change my lifestyle. I love pasta just like you, I just had to find a healthier way of cooking it, like using multigrain pasta which is a complex carb that is good for your body. I loveeeee pizza, so I get it with pesto sauce instead of marinara and tacos are my weakness, instead of steak, I use chicken or turkey and make my salsa. Trust me hun, you will get there and when you do.. You will feel great.
  • charris0312
    charris0312 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 2 months is not a small number.. that is great progress.. sis...do not cut yourself short... yes this is a process, but you are doing it.... you are 15lbs healthier... keep up the good work..
  • mswonderwoman78
    Options
    You can do it! We all can. You'll have your good days and then a few bad ones. All in all when you fall off track just get back on and don't beat yourself up over a candy bar.

It takes time to see the weight come off and don't rely only on the scale. Inches means more than pounds and clothes will start to fit differently. A 1 - 2lb loss per week is the right way to go. Remember the tortoise beat the hare. Just get started and keep going. I'm here for ya!

Tips:
    Drink lots of water.
    Be sure to eat 4-6 small meals per day OR 3 small meals and 2 snacks (1200-1500 calories).
    Keep healthy snacks on hand (Fresh fruit, nuts, veggies and trail mix).
    You don't have to join a gym to get your body moving, so just walk and walk some more.
    Find an activity you like doing, put on your favorite music and get your groove on.
  • DaylaChaos
    DaylaChaos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I am on this long journey to losing weight and I must see it has been hard but not that I am starting to see results it keeps me motivated. I am currently on the Grapefruit Diet when I first started I thought i was going to loose my mind mind but once I got my body use to being on it it became very easy. I have been on it a month and with the help of exercise I have lost 15 pounds and I no longer am afraid to look at my self in the mirror. I got bored with walking and going to the gym so I started Hip Hop Hips which I love and I sometimes go to Zumba Class so just hang in there there more you exercise the easier it get.
  • Remidy
    Options
    I am so encouraged by all of you. It is hard to get a group of people to do something like lose weight. I am on that last 15 lbs and it gets harder and harder to stay the course daily but I know that just from reading the encouraging words you have written I too can stay the course.

I really like what I read...the not denying yourself by saying "NO, to pasta" but changing up the kind of pasta you eat....Great Advice, I had to do that as well. The fact is, saying "NO" to myself only makes me crave it more. I have added a gallon of water daily to my regiment just because the 8 glasses (2L) are done before my workout so the other almost 8 glasses (2L) are consumed during and after workout.

Thank you so much myfitnesspal for groups cause honestly, I was like I am tired and will skip my exercise tonight, now I am like these ladies are doing and so can I.

I will post a before picture soon and hope to be at my goal by November 1st for the after picture but side by side I hope to see a healthier me.

KEEP MOVING LADIES :*-)
  • wanniet
    wanniet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is so great to see so many sista's trying to get it together. Please know that you are amongst a group of women that want and need to see you succeed. We all have a common goal that is long over due in our community..and that's choosing "ourselves" first so that we can be that superwoman that we love being to everyone that we love! Because when it's all said and done..."we" always get it done when we put our minds to it. Hang in there and walk with faith knowing that you do not walk alone. Anyone can feel free to add me for support. wannie
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We can all relate to your story believe that. I look in the mirror & I'm like...really. I got to the point where I got tired of being tired. You will lose the weight. Stay focused & know you are not alone Hun. Your sista friends are here for you!