Baby Not Sleeping Well...One Tired Momma

Options
bowser625
bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
My 9 month old daughter who I still BF is a terrible, horrible, NO GOOD, very bad sleeper. We have a great bedtime routine and she's typically in her crib and sleeping by 7:30 at the very latest. I try to be in bed by 9:30. But then she's up at 10:30pm, 1:30am, 3:30am, and I wake up at 4:20 to workout. So I don't get much sleep as you can tell. Her recent longest stretch has been 4 hours and that's been rare. She HAS gone 8 hours before but that was VERY rare.

I'm looking into different sleep methods but I don't believe in CIO and never will. I think I need to research how to night wean her and that would make my life better.

Any other mothers out there running on very little sleep?

For instance, this morning-we had a ROUGH night. She was up almost every 2 hours. I felt EXHAUSTED by the time I finally gave up and "woke up" officially. I just wanted to set her in the crib and forget about her for a few hours. (my hubby is away for the weekend but sometimes will help me catch up on sleep) But I knew that would NOT be a good thing to do so I just drank my normal coffee.

I've been running on empty though. And I feel a cold coming on. (I'm a teacher and I was bound to catch their germs) Sleep is the best medicine but I don't get much. The lack of sleep has been the hardest part of being a mommy for me....I love everything else...just miss my sleep...

Anyone else???

Replies

• jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello

Lack of sleep is so, so hard. She sounds very like how my older daughter was (also bf beyond 9 months). She woke every 2 hours after 11 pm (having gone to sleep at about 9pm). Have you thought about co-sleeping? It also sounds as if you could do with contacting La Leche League. If you don't want to or can't go to a meeting then maybe fill in a help form for them. Don't know if the US organisation does helpforms but the English branch does, you just email your question to them via their website and helpforms. They will help with night weaning. I also couldn't do CIO, it just felt so wrong for us and I was pretty fed up with the people who told me to "just let her cry" - don't they read any child development books (and by that I mean researched ones and not the 'opinion' pieces...)?
    It does get easier, DD1 is 8 now and has slept through for years ;-) Friend me if you would like to.

Jane
  • bowser625
    Options
    Thank you! I belong to the LLL's message board. I bet I'll find some info on there.

Thank you and I added you as well! :)
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember those days, only my eldest wouldn't even fall asleep until after 10, even as an infant. My suggestion would be to see if you can move or eliminate that 10:30 feeding so that you're not getting your sleep interrupted just as you've gone to sleep. It might mean rejigging your entire feeding schedule slightly, but I think it'd be worth it. And I second the idea of asking LLL ... they were super helpful for both my boys.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Contacting LLL or just going to a meeting for support/ideas is a great idea. Also, I've heard good things about the No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I've not read it, but I've glanced through it -- it might be worth taking a look at? Also, the Nighttime Parenting book by Dr Sears. Have you tried cosleeping? If you're having to get up to nurse her that often, that's a big interruption - if she's in the bed with you, for part or all of the night, she might be able to nurse without you having to wake up fully and it might be less disruptive. I know not everyone is comfortable with that (and it doesn't work well for all families) but I thought it might be worth suggesting.

Around that age, there is so much going on for them - growth spurts, for one, and also more mobility, a bigger understanding of the world, etc. etc. All that leads to increased nursing, and a lot of that tends to be at night when they're all settled in. It's really, really common and really, really overwhelming sometimes! I distinctly remember times that I fantasized about being hospitalized. I didn't want to be seriously ill... just injured enough to require a couple days observation in a hospital. LOL I read about Lindsay Lohan checking herself into the hosp. for "exhaustion" and I think I went a little nuts for a minute or two, screaming obscenities at her. Nighttime parenting can be rough, that's for sure.

If it helps, my two worst sleepers as babies/toddlers became the most amazingly easy kids at night once they hit 2 or 3. They go to sleep easily and cheerfully, and wake up the same way. (The other 2, not so much... and my now 2 yo seems to be following the pattern - he was atrocious to get to sleep, and now he's much, much easier. But I will say that regardless, at some point, that gets easier. It all gets easier. You will sleep again!!)
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    my son was exactly the same and only after changing his routine the last 2 months have sorted it.. instead of having a morning and afternoon sleep i switched it to one sleep after lunch, no more than 2 hours, and i pushed his bedtime back from half 7 to half 8, i make a bottle and while it is cooling down bathe him with baby bedtime bath, let him have a little splash around then get him out, take him into the lounge with dimmed lights then when i dry him from the bath i moisturise him, put a nappy on him and give him baby massage on his hands and feet, put his pjs on then feed him his milk and by that time he is so zonked hes been going pretty much through the night, maybe one feed during the night! do you express? it might be better to give him expressed milk in a bottle so that you know hes getting a good 9oz :) hope that helps :)

x
  • bowser625
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I started "dream feeding" here right before I go to bed (around 9:30-10). She usually has been down and sleeping since 7:30/8:00, so this gives me a few extra hours of sleep before she wakes up again.

I also have been co-sleeping with her part-time. She also has a head cold and is very clingy/needy. So in my bed she goes for most of the night. I don't mind co-sleeping with her (as I co-slept with my first) but I don't feel as comfortable with her in bed because I'm so sleep deprived. I make the bed area as safe as possible but I find myself JUMPING awake like she's about to fall off the bed. (which she's not but in my head she is)

She's really close to walking and with me going back to work full-time, I guess co-sleeping is the answer.

I borrowed a bunch of books from the library (like No Cry Sleep Solution and a couple other ones that aren't CIO orientated). And it just seems easier said than done. Especially since I work away from the home AND breastfeed.

I'm hanging in there with little sleep (she will go about 4 hours max, even in my bed) but I'm able to function well for the most part. I just find myself unable to talk in full sentences that make sense all the time. But that's probably from being constantly sleep deprived...

But I still manage to wake up and work out at 4:30am before work. Have to...no other time during the day...

Oh how I miss sleep... :)
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me the book The Baby Sleep Solution. It has helpful schedules for how to wean both formula and breast fed babies from their night feedings. I can't say I did the method because my 4 month old has started sleeping much better but that be helpful. Also if she is sleeping in bed with you part of the time and in her bed part of the time maybe she wakes up scared/confused for not knowing where she is??? We started a bedtime routine with ours and after a few nights I finally feel like it is working. It's hard I know and hopefully it gets better for you soon!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like it might be a phase, and that no changes are really necessary - as hard as it is, it will probably resolve itself when baby settles. Finding some breastfeeding support (LLL is great, but other options can be fabulous as well) might help you figure out if it's just one of those super intense patches that you run into with parenting (breastfeeding or not!) or if it's something that you should try to resolve some way.

I think it's important to say that for a baby under a year old, the nighttime feedings are very important - especially when mama works during the day. Those night feedings can have a big impact on your milk supply. Working moms who breastfeed often find that their baby nurses a lot at night. Cutting down on the frequency to get some much-needed sleep is obviously a good goal -- sleep is important!!!!!!! But cutting out the nighttime nursings entirely isn't necessarily best for a 9 month old baby.

This might be helpful? http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/night-weaning-12-alternatives-all-night-nurser
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I love co-sleeping. I find I sleep much better since neither of us has to fully wake up for him to feed. I have tried him in his crib a few times but neither slept well those nights. It is not for everyone though and you need to be comfortable.

There are lots of good ideas already mentioned. I hope you find an answer soon. Get some sleep.
  • wxgurl
    wxgurl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds completely counter-intuitive, but our pediatrician suggested that we put our son down for more naps, then his night sleep would start to get better too. So, my son now takes 3 1-2hr naps a day, at 10 months old, and he goes down at 7:30pm, and not up until at least 5:30am. Now, he is bottle fed, so that might make a difference. He is also on a growing spurt, so sleeping more anyway. Hope you get some great zzzzz's soon!
  • debizinha
    debizinha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I am going through the same thing for the last year. My little man is 13 months old and never ever slept more than 5 hrs. He usually wakes up every 3 hours to eat. He was breastfed until 8-9 months and has been in the bottle ever since. He goes to be 8:30 and is up about midnight, 3:00 am. and 6:00 am. However; it is not uncommon for him to wake up briefly between feedings and he is so loud we end up walking up with him regardless. My husband does all the night feedings but our house is small so we are both up no matter what. My older son started sleeping 6+ hours at about 5 months and I had no idea how hard sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time would be. I think the last time I slept 8 hours was about my 7th month of pregnancy. I went back to work when he was 3 months old and sometimes I find that I go to work to rest.
  • debizinha
    debizinha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I am going through the same thing for the last year. My little man is 13 months old and never ever slept more than 5 hrs. He usually wakes up every 3 hours to eat. He was breastfed until 8-9 months and has been in the bottle ever since. He goes to be 8:30 and is up about midnight, 3:00 am. and 6:00 am. However; it is not uncommon for him to wake up briefly between feedings and he is so loud we end up walking up with him regardless. My husband does all the night feedings but our house is small so we are both up no matter what. My older son started sleeping 6+ hours at about 5 months and I had no idea how hard sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time would be. I think the last time I slept 8 hours was about my 7th month of pregnancy. I went back to work when he was 3 months old and sometimes I find that I go to work to rest.