I need suggestions...

Options
Hello all.

I have recently been trying to "clean up my act" so to speak regarding my health. I have been biking and weight training and am currently going from 1 or 2 big meals per day to 3 meals 2 snacks per day. My issue, however is when I don't eat fast food or unhealthy foods I have a terrible time getting my calories in and ususally end up between 200 and 400 short. Does anyone have any suggestions? PS, I really don't want to drink my calories, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Dnalbellehcim
    Options
    Hmmmm, have you tried hummus? That's a good calorie filler. It's not high in calories, but it can help. The thing about fast food is it's all so bad... it's like a drug addiction.... If you're making the right choices at fast food places then you'd still be under your calories. Try having 3 meals a day and for your snacks have a protein drink with almond milk. 8 oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk is 40 cal and then a scoop of the protien I use is 130 cal. That's a good clean 340 cal that would cover your 200-400 deficit. Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • tcornley
    Options
    Thank you so much, I'll give it a try!

Tiffany
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would suggest another snack somewhere, either fruit or hummus like said above. Or even crackers would be good. If you are not hungry, I would drink some juice or even milk. :-)
  • tcornley
    Options
    OK, I'll trying incorporating that as well. Thanks for taking the time to respond! :flowerforyou:
  • sakraf
    sakraf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese spread on celery sticks. String cheese with an apple. A slice of toast with a tablespoon of nut butter. Or, an apple cut into slices, spread with a nut butter.

I am having the same issue!
  • pugloversara
    Options
    Boy do I have a great snack suggestion except it doesn't have many calories at all if any. PICKLES omg have I been eating them all week. I feel the urge to eat something and for some reason pickles satisfy my hunger.

As far as wanting to fill in calories goes have you tried adding non flavored protein powder or soy powder to your food or drinks? That helps it really does. I know some powders taste chalky but they are some really great ones out there. I like Herbal life protein powder. I add it to my oatmeal and some drinks and don't taste anything. I love that I can't taste chalk :)

I like your topic I need suggestions. I think Id like to keep this open as a forum for us to discuss anything we may need help with. Thanks :)
  • tcornley
    Options
    Boy do I have a great snack suggestion except it doesn't have many calories at all if any. PICKLES omg have I been eating them all week. I feel the urge to eat something and for some reason pickles satisfy my hunger.

As far as wanting to fill in calories goes have you tried adding non flavored protein powder or soy powder to your food or drinks? That helps it really does. I know some powders taste chalky but they are some really great ones out there. I like Herbal life protein powder. I add it to my oatmeal and some drinks and don't taste anything. I love that I can't taste chalk :)

I like your topic I need suggestions. I think Id like to keep this open as a forum for us to discuss anything we may need help with. Thanks :)

I have actually been experimenting with different Whey Proteins and have not found the right fit, but not giving up. I'll find the one soon and yes, I like you suggestion of adding the power to a drink, so I'll definitely be incorporating that when I find a good mix. Maybe even adding it to a smoothie in the AM. Thanks!
  • tcornley
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese spread on celery sticks. String cheese with an apple. A slice of toast with a tablespoon of nut butter. Or, an apple cut into slices, spread with a nut butter.

I am having the same issue!

Oh yeah!! I'll definitely try this. I eat an apple pretty much every day anyway, and I love Nutella. Not sure why this never occured to me, but love the suggestion. Thanks!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    protein bars are usually about 200 calories or less. i like luna bars. also try kashi ones are pretty good too i hear. greek yogurt is about 130 caloreis... reduced fat cheese like sargento cheese sticks. an apple or a pear... all about 100 calories.