Looking for help posted in main forum=no answers

Options
608peg
608peg Posts: 24 Member
My husband is 65, has a pacemaker and has been on Toprol for about 5 years, which is horrible for slowing down metabolisms. His starting weight was 255 and currently is 236. He is 6'1" tall and normally walks 1.5 hrs every day but a easy walk. Right now he has a broken ankle and uses crutches and mostly a wheelchair to get around.

My question is we really struggle with knowing where to put his calories. He has been doing this since March and before his injury calories were around 2000 and now more around 1800. He loses weight but ohhhhhhh so slow.

Any one else on the med or close to his situation..open to ideas!!!!! Thanks

Replies

• ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi 608 peg

I'm sorry that your husband can't do his exercise outside. I don't know anything about his meds, however, if you can get him a DVD for exercising while sitting it will help with burning the calories and perhaps help the loss for him.

Check out this web sight. They have some pretty good DVD"s........http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/seated-exercise-exercise-videos-47
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was on Prednisone at high doses 350mg. the highest dose.
    I did lose some weight, about 15 pounds by cutting way down on all carbs.... even the good wholesome ones.
    But I needed to recover enough to do some exercise.

I used weights and exercised the leg that I could use. My leg was not usable at all for six months. I did not lose wight until I was up and able to walk again.
    But sitting still, your husband may have to cut his calories down until he can move again. HARD!!!
    Good luck to you both in figuring this out.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    Could he use light hand weights or those stretchy bands? I work in a library and we do have the dvd's that have chair exercises.
  • Semperfione
    Options
    I would look at a low carb diet, he can eat protein and without a lot of bread this might help him to feel full. There are a lot of good things about a low carb intake. I also will give him energy. It does take some time to get use to but it does work with little exercise for weight loss.

Any type of moving is good, even just sitting in a chair lifting his legs up and down. I hope he does well either way.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    odd........i wrote a reply, and it's gone..?? what?
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options