Recipes

Options
This thread is where we can share all of our healthy recipes. Even share food finds or tips for cooking healthier!

Replies

• Journey2Heaven
    Journey2Heaven Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and Tomato Salad

This is not a recipe by measurements. I really found that I like raw cucumber and tomatoes with some balsamic vinegar. I add maybe a few seasonings, like basil and a little pepper and it's great. It aids in weight loss and with diabetes. Copying and pasting some info care of livestrong.com:

Weight Lost
    Louise Gittleman, PHD, CNS for "The Healing Powers of Vinegar" by Cal Orey discusses the effects of acetic acid, the key ingredient that vinegars are made of. Gittleman mentions that acetic acid is known to retard the absorption of carbohydrates as they are metabolized in the body, which leads to the dissolving of fats. Gittleman adds that the acid can purify the blood and detoxes the body. In addition, the potassium in the vinegar reduces hunger. Drinking about two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar a day can help with weight loss through this process, which occurs when you eat certain foods.
    Diabetes and Vinegar

In addition to weight loss, Arizona State University scientist Carol Johnston found other positive attributes of vinegar. In a study researching the effects of consuming vinegar among diabetic, pre-diabetic, and non-diabetic subjects, the results were a reduction in blood sugar levels. Reducing your body's blood sugar level enables the insulin to move sugars into the appropriate cells that take them in, as it normally should happen. Drinking balsamic vinegar can do as much some of the leading diabetes medication. Fortunately, balsamic vinegar's distinct flavor is what makes the product popular. Drinking it may be a pleasurable experience for you.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    I had this for dinner tonight. & i had two, you can have one if thats all you want.

Chicken Wrap

1 bag of John soules food chicken breast strips with rib meat.
    2 Flour tortillas (small)
    Krogers Mild cheddar cheese
    & i added some mayo.

You can add lettuce, onion, tomato, anything else you want to this.
    For me having 2 servings, & i probably didn't even have that because me and my boyfriend only cooked one bag and that was enough for the both of us & the bag says 2.5 servings and we both had 2 wraps.

CALORIES- 482
  • Journey2Heaven
    Journey2Heaven Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I say this on "COOK YOURSELF THIN" and I love, love, love this recipe. This recipe and calorie intake is for 2 Mushrooms a serving. I usually cook 1 so it will be half the 539 so about 270 for 1 Mushroom Tuna Melt and it's very filling..

Portobello Mushroom Tuna Melt
    Serves 2
    Calories per serving: 539

4 Portobello mushrooms, stemmed, gills removed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 5-ounce can albacore tuna packed in water, drained
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Salt and pepper
    4 thin slices Swiss cheese
    4 slices tomato
    1/2 cup mixed baby greens

1. Preheat the broiler. Brush the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and broil, turning once until softened and cooked through, about 10 minutes.

2. While the mushrooms are cooking, in a bowl, combine tuna, celery, parsley, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and remaining tablespoon oil.

3. Remove the mushrooms from the oven. Divide tuna mixture among mushrooms, and spread evenly in caps. Top each with a slice of cheese, and broil until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top each mushroom with a tomato slice and 2 tablespoons greens, and serve immediately.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I made this for breakfast, I substituted the blackberries with strawberries and used pecans instead of walnuts. Also, I'm planning in using raisins instead of walnuts. And I skipped the agave nectar, I wasn't into sweet things this morning :)

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/warm-and-nutty-cinnamon-quinoa-recipe.html
  • toddzincity
    Options
    My family loves this salad! Son wraps it in a flour tortilla too for lunch.

Black Bean & Corn Salad - Rachael Ray

Black Beans – 1x 14oz can, rinsed & drained
    Corn – 1x 14oz can
    Red Onion - ½ medium, diced to preference
    Cumin - 1.5 tsp
    Hot Sauce - 2 tsp (I use Tapitio, recipe calls for Tabasco)
    Lime Juice – 1 avg size
    Olive or Veg Oil – 1-2 Tbsp
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Additional:
    Cilantro – 1/3 cup (to taste)
    Avocado – 1 or 2 (to taste)

DIRECTIONS:
    Combine, mix, chill. Best made & served in 15-30 minutes. When using avocado squeeze ½ of lime on avocado to prevent browning.
  • andilion
    andilion Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The portobello tuna melt and black bean salad sound super delicious. Will definitely try those.
  • andilion
    andilion Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just made Michael Ruhlman's roasted chicken recipe for dinner. It was super, super easy and one of the best roasted chickens I've had anywhere.

There is no added fat or sugar in the recipe but the chicken turns out juicy and flavorful. The skin is perfect, but you can avoid eating it to lower the calories even more. If you're only cooking for one or two people, you end up with lots of extra roast chicken for salads and other meals during the week. Highly recommended!

One 3 to 4 pound chicken (giblets and neck removed, wingtips removed optionally)
    1 lemon and/or medium onion, quartered
    Kosher salt

- About an hour before roasting the chicken, remove it from the fridge and rinse it. Stuff it with the onion or lemon or both. Generously salt the chicken and place on a plate lined with paper towels.

- Preheat the oven to 425-450 degrees F (depending on your oven).

- Pat the chicken dry. Optional: add more salt. Put the chicken in an oven proof frying pan and then into the oven.

- After 1 hour, check the color of the juices or a meat thermometer if you have one. If the chicken is not fully cook, leave it in the oven for another 5 minutes.

- Remove the chicken from the oven and LET IT REST before carving for 15 minutes.