Southern Illinois anyone???

Options
beckykceb
beckykceb Posts: 12 Member
Anyone else here from good ol' SO ILL???

Replies

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Originally...
    I live in the NW Burbs of Chicago for the last 2 years...
  • beckykceb
    beckykceb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was born up north and lived a couple years in Glen Ellyn (still have family up there) but raised down here in SO ILL. What area did you live in down here?
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I live in the Chicagoland area, but my dad's side of the family is from the Harrisburg/Carrier Mills/Shawneetown area. Random fact: the town Harrisburg is named after distant relatives of mine.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I went to Centralia High School.
    I've lived near Mt Vernon, Centralia, Salem, and Edwardsville. :)
  • MichaeltheMarine
    MichaeltheMarine Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Wow...I lived in Mt. Vernon for over 4 years. I was a Marine Corps Recruiter responsible for Mt. Vernon, Carbondale, Marion and Centralia.
  • s_jane
    s_jane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm from the northern part of southern il :) I grew up in Sparta and went to school in DuQuoin
  • amdrummer02
    amdrummer02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in south central Illinois. Probably about an hour and a half north of Mount Vernon. I live in the Charleston/Mattoon area.
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Granite city (across river from st Louis)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Extreme southern Illinois. Dongola to be exact.
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am Edwardsville/Troy area!!!
  • TiffTiff81
    TiffTiff81 Posts: 7
    Options
    From Good ole Charleston Illinois, home of Eastern Illinois University.
  • patmonroern
    patmonroern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in Edwardsville and work in the counties surrounding St Clair. I do home health nursing so I am in my car all day. I would love to talk with anyone in the area that wants to help motivate each other. I need someone to "answer to" so I will do the exercise I am supposed to. LOL
  • ksmcq1967
    ksmcq1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I went to Carlyle High School and now live in Lebanon, IL. I'm looking for a walking partner 2-3 days per week.
  • Firefighterwife
    Options
    I was born in Herrin and lived briefly in Carterville (where my grandparents lived until moving to heaven in mid '90s). I still have an aunt who lives in Johnston City. Now I'm living and working in Central Illinois!
  • kansaspeach
    kansaspeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Burnt Prairie, IL, in White County. My job has taken me all over the place, but we just moved to Marion recently. It's good to see other southern Illinois folks here! :) Also - feel free to add me if you'd like - I'm always up for new friends. :)
  • shawls1
    shawls1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Born in No. IL, but grew up in Herrin. LIving in East Central Illinois now, and I teach at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL.
  • jedaschultz
    jedaschultz Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I currently live in Bloomington but grew up in Mascoutah.
  • shawls1
    shawls1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Of course, we all have to agree on a definition of Southern Illinois!

What I use:

North of I-80 -- N. ILL
    I-80 down to I-74 (especially on the eastern side of the state): NorthCentral IL
    I-74 down to I-70 -- Central IL (and broken into East Central and West Central
    I-70 down to the state line: Southern Illinois.

Of course, anything south of I-64 (Mt. Vernon) is Little Egypt.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Isn't the division of Illinios: Chicago and "The rest of Ilinios"?

hahaha just kidding/being a smart *kitten*
  • kansaspeach
    kansaspeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Of course, we all have to agree on a definition of Southern Illinois!

What I use:

North of I-80 -- N. ILL
    I-80 down to I-74 (especially on the eastern side of the state): NorthCentral IL
    I-74 down to I-70 -- Central IL (and broken into East Central and West Central
    I-70 down to the state line: Southern Illinois.

Of course, anything south of I-64 (Mt. Vernon) is Little Egypt.

That's what I was always taught. :smile: And I was born and raised in Little Egypt and finally found my way home recently. But I like Dan's definition, too. I get SO tired of people finding out I live in Illinois and then asking me how I like Chicago. Um, I'm like, as far away from there as you can get and still be in Illinois - there's more to this state than the Windy City. :laugh: