Shoe Changes

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
I've have my marathon in 3 weeks from tomorrow.

I have been training in 2 pair of shoes. My Nike Pegasus shoes, more cushion for my long runs. And my Saucony Kinvara for everything else. I'm thinking seriously of using my Saucony for my marathon. They are lighter weight and I have less tendency to heal strike.

I've been doing anything over 15 in my Nike's and everything under that in my Saucony.

Am I crazy for considering changing up my shoes on race day? Or is this going to be OK. I raced a trail race in my Saucony a few weeks ago, it was a half marathon, but the course was a large portion down the middle of railroad tracks. I got a slightly sprained ankle, but it feels OK after some massage therapy on it.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought.

With 3 weeks to go you could try the Saucony shoes on a long slow run day......
  • rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing my Kinvara for my half in a few weeks. Love them! Curious how you handle both shoes since the Kinvara are 4mm more minmal shoes and the Pegasus are a much bigger drop and more support?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have always ran in a lower heal drop shoe. I tried the Brook Pure Cadence based on the advice of my Physical Therapist, but I hated the stability part of them they were really really hard on my calves, and almost twisted my legs, so I trained and only did one half in them and got rid of them. I really like the Kinvara's. But I worried with long run miles, I needed more padding, because of this, I know I totally heal strike more when I get tired. That's why I'm thinking the Kinvara may be a better choice for them. I did a 14 Saturday and a 12 on Sunday, I worked the Nike Saturday and the Saucony Sunday. My time was 30 seconds per mile faster on Sunday, I had less fatigue and aches. I'm tapering now so won't get the option of running anything longer in them. Maybe I'll take both with me to the race and decide race morning :)