HOBBIT Challenge - 397 miles by Dec 14

Options
KimWW
KimWW Posts: 301 Member
The Hobbit, Peter Jackson version, comes out in theaters Dec 14, 2012. Can you walk (or run, or swim, or bike) the distance traveled by Bilbo and the dwarves?

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Hobbit_BE_to_Rivendell/hobbit_be_to_rivendell.html

This website has a breakdown of distances and landmarks (and story points) mentioned in the book. Keep track of how far you move each day, whether in your neighborhood, on the track, in the pool, or on the treadmill, it doesn't matter.

There are 92 days left until the movie and 397 miles to go, roughly 4.3 miles per day will get you there. Who's in?

(Personally, I don't think I can do it, but I'm in to try!)

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Im in

Tempted to say, though i do not know the way, do i literally just tot up my miles?
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'm most definitely going to try my hardest to get there before the movie!

I'm currently copying over the site list into a spreadsheet to track my daily progress.
  • KimWW
    Options
    MusicBabii, I am doing the exact same thing! :D

The thought of going "There and BACK AGAIN" is mind blowing, for right now, I am just going to work on THERE.

And yes, Mr Untidy, just tot up the miles and see where you would be if you had started at BagEnd.

I usually end up walking about 2 miles / day, half in the pool and half for the rest of the day (according to my FitBit.) I need to step that up.
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    I am totally going for it!

12 miles so far this month

"Continue east on the Road at a leisurely pace."
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    MusicBabii, I am doing the exact same thing! :D

The thought of going "There and BACK AGAIN" is mind blowing, for right now, I am just going to work on THERE.
    *high-five* It's a fantastic way to track. It's such a daunting goal but I will be happy no matter how far I get into it. I've been averaging 2-3 miles per day. I'm going to aim for a minimum of 3 a day and if I'm able to squeeze in an extra mile or 3 I'm going to try.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I will do some running/jogging/walking and some on my stationary bike. :happy:
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    :) Nice im going to try it ....I sorda look like a Hobbit anyway
  • mruntidy
    Options
    10.88 miles today looking good so far :happy:
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started this on another board. 3 fat chicks on a diet. So here are my stats. I started walking Sept 1. I am using my fitbit to track my miles walked.

I walked 6 miles yesterday
    Hobbiton to Mt. Doom: 1779
    Traveled: 52
    Pippin realizes they have turned too far south as they are still in the trees
    Remaining: 1727

Here is a cool link to see how far you have walked.

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yay! I started this on September 3rd! I don't know if I'll make it to Rivendell by December 14th, but I'm having fun tracking my miles through Middle Earth. I had just re-read The Hobbit before I found out about this, so I am following Bilbo's path instead of Frodo's.

Currently at Milepost 34: "See the trees of Woody End across the fields to the south. Camp."

Who knew the Shire was so big?!
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I'm doing it!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Omg I love this :love: I don't know if I can do that many miles (a lot of days I spend my workouts doing strength and not cardio...) but I'm up for giving it a shot.

Is the Fitbit good for tracking distance? I usually use my phone's GPS but it's incredibly unreliable and I'm looking for something better.
  • KimWW
    Options
    Things aren't really going well. This weekend I felt like I had the energy of a slug (maybe less) I have not been getting more than maybe 2 miles / day walking + swimming.

I need some cranky dwarves to keep me moving, I think.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    50.06 miles so by tonight I will be on;

Stop for the night just past Buckland
  • KimWW
    Options
    I am just ahead of you at about 55-ish.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Made it to mile 73 today. I've passed the Old Forest to the South. 2 more miles to "camp". :) I checked out The Middle Earth Atlas from my library. The maps are fun to look at as I'm making my way.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've been working on it slowly but my walking time is pretty limited. I think I started doing this back at the start of August and I'm just now out of the shire but i will keep going! Can't wait for that movie!