Davena's "I can't run that FAR" log

Options
nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
I can't run, pretty much at all.

I had knee surgery in Feb to remove two tears in the cartlidge under my knee cap. I have Chondromalacia patellae, which means the cartlidge under my knee cap is soft and tears easily.

After surgery I was told I'd have 85 - 95% function. Lifting heavy has helped strengthened the muscles surrounding my knee.

Running hurts my knee. Walking hurts it a bit too. Mostly inclines. Standing for long periods makes it ache the next day.

So, I'm allowed to do my challenge on the elliptical.

I know I can do 1km on the elliptical in about 7mins. I've never done more than 20mins on the Ellpitcal. My challenge will be both distance and speed.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I think the elliptical is fantastic for injury rehab. I use it several times a week to supplement my cardio without added joint stress. I bet after you've met your goals using the elliptical, your knee will actually be stronger and healthier than it is now!
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with beans. And I look forward to seeing your progress. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm rootin' for ya, too!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I'm rootin' for ya, too!

*cough*

Now, I KNOW that means something different in your country... but in MY country, you just told me you are having sex for me...
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm rootin' for ya, too!

*cough*

Now, I KNOW that means something different in your country... but in MY country, you just told me you are having sex for me...

Wait....what?! lol.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    If, in Australia/New Zealand you say "John and Mary are rootin'." ... you are saying they are having sex.

If you say "That car engine is rooted" you are saying it's .... umm... fooked.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    What about "I'm rooting around in my purse for my keys"
    or "I'm rooting for the home team"

(OK- I took some liberties in the spelling, technically those would be "routing")
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We'd say "I'm digging around in my purse" & "I'm cheering/going for"
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Most Melbourne folk 'barrack' for a footy team, but as a kiwi I'd never heard of barracking before I came here.

I would rummage in my purse, and cheer for my team.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Tonight I did 10mins on the elliptical, at a fast but not "I'm going to die" pace and covered 1.25km.

Next cardio day I'm going to do 20mins.
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw that the post about rooting I figured you were talking Austalian slang. I love Aussies. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Bloody Aussies!!

Yesterday I tested the time to do 1.25km on the treadmill vs the elliptical.

Elliptical takes 10mins.

Treadmill takes 14mins.

So if I aim for approx 45mins to do the 5km on the elliptical I think that'd be a fair goal.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I'm rootin' for ya, too!

*cough*

How did I miss this?! HAHA!! Well, you know I didn't mean that, but it's good to know! Holy crap!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Bloody Aussies!!

Yesterday I tested the time to do 1.25km on the treadmill vs the elliptical.

Elliptical takes 10mins.

Treadmill takes 14mins.

So if I aim for approx 45mins to do the 5km on the elliptical I think that'd be a fair goal.

Sounds like a great goal!!!!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Last night I ran intervals on the treadmill for 17mins. I ran/walked 2kms.

My knee started hurting at about the 13min mark, so I walked the last 4mins.

I was running in my new shoes... I actually brought them mostly for lifting, but I wanted to test them out.

wr00sp_nb_02_i?$dw_detail_main$

The only thing I didn't like about them was the fact that I could feel the seams in my socks, so I need some seamless running sock suggestions.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thats great deeva. Glad you listened to your body. Remember to ice that knee after. Helps with inflammation.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Maybe there's not enough shock absorption in those for running in them. I have 5 pairs of running shoes, so I've been switching to see which ones I like the best. So far, my cheapest pair of Nike's is winning! Do you take Motrin or anything before you try to run?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are those a minimal type shoe? I'm about to be fitted this week for new shoes. Curious to see how these are going to work for you. I've wanted a pair of minimalist shoes now for a while... just hesitant to buy still. If I had money to burn I'd probably buy 3 or 4 pair :)
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Are those a minimal type shoe? I'm about to be fitted this week for new shoes. Curious to see how these are going to work for you. I've wanted a pair of minimalist shoes now for a while... just hesitant to buy still. If I had money to burn I'd probably buy 3 or 4 pair :)

They are. Truthfully I purchased them mainly for lifting, we aren't allowed to lift barefoot at my gym.

I doubt it was the shoes that made my knee hurt when I was running, because my knee always hurts when I'm running. LOL.

The worst thing about the shoes is the fact I haven't found the right socks for them yet... I'm pretty sure I'll like them once I get that right.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    *blows off the dust*

Hi.

So I was running from Zombies today and realised that it counts for my I can't ran that far log!

Today I ran/walked 3.4km in 34mins.

That's like 1km in 10mins or something.

I've purchased the Zombies, Run! 5k training app. I'll keep you updated on my progress.